Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
the price will probably come down too.

However, with all the reading I do, it's probably still a bargain now.

Just think of all the magazines I would not have had to shlep around on my last trip. My weight is all in books, every time. smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Right that is what I kept trading off. I kept thinking of waiting for a next version. But finally I am getting sick of this pile of paper and books and such in the house and I need to do *something* to get it under control. So this is an important step.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
i wonder how many books it would take to equal out the cost of buying the kindle?

Gecko
Gecko
LOL, Jilly! Just think of all the trees we can save! I don't know how I had missed this thread as I've been interested in finding more information on Kindle since they were out of stock and all the rumors were flying around about how Amazon was probably not really out of stock but just testing the waters, etc.

My grandmother is always complaining that she doesn't enjoy reading as much as she used to because books are heavy in her hands and her eyesight isn't what it used to be. If I could squeeze one in my budget (and sadly it doesn't look possible right now) for a Mother's Day gift I would love to get her and my mom one.

I wondered, can you tell that your eyes get more fatigued reading from Kindle than they do regular print?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That's not hard to figure out smile The Kindle is $400 with free shipping.

The hard covers they list are all about $20. They sell for $10. So you save $10 for every book.

That's 40 books, if you just go straight on book cost alone, not counting in ease of use, lack of clutter, instant access etc. And not counting all the free stuff you have access to.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
msbaby - the liquid paper technology they use is supposedly just like real paper in terms of contrast and readability. That's what the big deal is. Testers say it's the same. It's hard to judge precisely I imagine though. But actually I would think with the changing font sizes that this would be *easier* to read because you can customize the letters exactly to your eyeballs. Which is a rather neat concept ...

Is there anybody else in your family that would be buying your grandmother a present? Maybe talk to them all and buy it jointly?

Low Carb Forum
Gecko
Gecko
Excellent suggestion! I will canvass the family although I think I will just make the suggestion of a Kindle as a gift possibility for THEM to purchase without me if need be. They already owe me for their share of several joint gifts. Sigh.....

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes have one of them do the actual purchase and when they come around to your share, just say that this will balance out what they had owed you from before smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, I thought of that, but that answer is too easy. I don't buy just hardcover fiction. Actually i never buy hardcover fiction. I buy mostly trade paperbacks for my non-fiction and used books for my fiction. I NEVER buy new fiction and never ever new hardcovers. Since I read a fiction book in two days I can't afford that kind of expense...so i haunt the goodwills and used stores for my stories. Like i said, i eat books. smile

Oh, and I get used magazines from friends and family and pick up the occasional new one at the airport. So that's not new books either.

I let myself buy new non-fiction trade paperbacks for things I am studying, like Yoga, or work-related books.

So i am thinking in terms of my own situation. Mainly for fun: if I buy the Kindle, it won't be about the money anyway, it will be about saving trees, less clutter in my home, and less weight to lug around everywhere i go.

So, just for fun, for me to figure out when i would break even...let me look at my purchases on Amazon. Be right back!

Last edited by Jilly; 05/04/08 02:22 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wow, apparently I have only bought 14 new books since 2002. Let me look at my bookshelves to see what I have bought in actual flesh bookstores. BRB.

Last edited by Jilly; 05/04/08 02:28 PM.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.