Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#414368 05/03/08 02:28 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I've given in and bought a Kindle book reader!! I just read SO so many books all the time about low carb, healthy eating, exercise and inspiration. I finally decided it would save me time, save me money and make this all much more efficient if I read them all in ebook form, rather than filling my house with tons of paper books.

I desperately need more time - and less clutter!!

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
wow. I keep looking at this thing. It's just like the pads they read from in Star Trek.

I like how it's not WIFI-dependant; it uses the same technology as cell phones. So you don't have to find a network - you just open it and buy a book/magazine/newspaper.

It says you also get free service to Wickipedia and you can upload your own PDFs and docs to read. A nice feature. of course i can do that with my iTouch, but it looks like the reading screen on Kindle is much bigger.

do the books you buy cost full price, the same as a flesh book?

Last edited by Jilly; 05/03/08 02:38 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Books for the Kindle are much cheaper. So "Losing It" - the book I really liked by Valerie Bertinelli - is $26 to buy normally. It's $9.99 to get for the Kindle and you get it instantly.

So you can say "Hey that new anti-stress book looks really helpful, and here I am feeling stressed". So you click, get it for less money and it's in your hands right away. And your house is still nice and clean and clutter-free.

It's like iTunes for books smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
sounds like a godsend. You can only store around 200 books in it - i assume they let you move the books you have purchased into a storage device?

Like Jean Luc Picard, I like the feel of a real book in my hands. the smell of paper and the feel of the card stock. I like highlighting things and making notes in the margins, and copying pages to go in my various self-learning binders.

But as a voracious eater of books, I can see where i might just "get over" the need to surround myself with flesh books, for the very nice trade-off of instant 10 dollar books on demand, anytime, any place.

I have no idea how I would adjust. Would it just be an expensive accessory that I don't use much? Would i buy books first on kindle and then, if i really wanted the flesh book, to get it anyway, after Kindling it?

If Kindle doesn't let you store their books offsite, however, this would not work for me. I'd fill up the space in no time.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Oh you definitely can back up files to your PC.

"In addition, a copy of every book you purchase is backed up online in Your Media Library in case you ever need to download it again. This allows you to make room for new titles on your device, knowing that Amazon is storing your personal library, which can always be re-downloaded wirelessly. If you are out of wireless coverage, such as traveling overseas, you can download books to your computer from Your Media Library and transfer via USB to your Kindle. Think of it as a bookshelf in your attic�even though you don't see it, you know your books are there."

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Fabulous. smile

What do you think of the paper-book issue?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well first, I have 10 - 12 large bookcases in this house full of books. I have about 20 leather-bound books of my all time favorites. So I am VERY much aware of the lure of real physical books. I am lucky in that I have so much room to store all my books, but really, I have too many. I have a whole shelf of "Japanese books". I have a whole shelf of wine books. A whole shelf of management books. MANY shelves of sci-fi books. Probably 5 shelves of Robert B Parker books. So I am already inundated with paper books and have all my favorites right there. Lord of the Rings - two sets. Jane Austen? Two sets.

So I have those books here to lovingly hold and read and treasure if the urge hits me.

So that being said, if I need to get another 3 books on yoga (having 4 books already on the topic) I *really* don't need yet more paper versions in my hands to hold. If I want the hold sensation, I have that here. If I want to learn about other flavors of yoga, it is quite fine to do that "easily".

If I start a new sci-fi series on Kindle, and I decide I like it, I can instantly download each next one in the series without waiting for it to arrive via mail. And in the end if it becomes my ultimate perfect favorite I can always buy used copies from Amazon to add them to my "permanent library". But since that will only rarely happen, it'll still save me to buy them cheaply via ebook method for the 99 percent that I'll just read, enjoy, and move on.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Also because you can load in your own personally made ebooks, you can create custom books of "your affirmations" or "your carb lists of foods you tend to eat" and have that right at your fingertips. So if you're in a restaurant, you pop up the list of things YOU eat and easily scan them to see what the values are. If you're feeling low, you bring up YOUR affirmation list and remind yourself why you are special smile So that's right in with your other reading books.

I love that it has free full access to Wikipedia, and a built in dictionary! I'm always looking things up when I read.

Low Carb Forum
B
Koala
Koala
B
Our bookcase crashed last week and now all of our books are throughout the living room and in three plastic buckets. I did see these are available and I get the stimulus check next week and this would be a not planned purchase.

I was reading the reviews on this and wow they have loads of votes on amazon. I saw like 27,000 for one persons review. Wow that would move me up on the list.

I am curious though about the small print. Can you make the text larger to read and also I like to mark and highlight stuff in books. How would that be done on the kindle?

Congrats on the purchase Lisa. I am looking forward to the review and watching the votes.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
B
Koala
Koala
B
I did buy Valerie's book and have yet to read it. I am currently reading Marilu Henner's book that I got from the publisher to review on another site (gather)

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.