Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#414035 05/02/08 06:03 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
In February 2009, all TV signals will turn digital. Are you ready?

TVs Digital?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/02/08 06:03 PM
Last edited by Anne, Current Events; 03/10/11 12:22 PM.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We have 2 TVs in our house, and both are digital. The one downstairs is connected to cable, the Xbox 360 and we use it for general viewing, game reviewing and watching regular DVDs. The one upstairs isn't connected to the cable system, and is just for all the other game systems. Because the PS3 is up there we can only watch BluRay DVDs up on that screen. That's in the spare bedroom.

Since we solely use cable, it really doesn't affect us, how "air wave" signals go.

Low Carb Forum
Elephant
Elephant
we have sat tv so we are ready ;0)

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
It amazes me that the (and correct me if I get my facts wrong) government mandates that TV is broadcast in digital - then realizes not everyone can receive digital - then realizes not everyone can afford a converter so they offer coupons for a digital converter.

All so we can watch TV with a better picture and sound - like we need more reason to plop down on the couch - seems like there are more pressing issues the government could be dealing with.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I got the coupons for the converter boxes which cost me $10 each so I now have my digital TVs. I have a large antenna on top of my roof, so I don't have cable or satellite TV. Of course, I also have two tiny TVs - the 14 inch type smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Allison actually I think the conversion's main thrust is to free up airwave bandwidth for other important applications smile

The estimate is that the government will get $50 billion in income just for selling off that old "now unused" bandwidth after the conversion.

I think it's funny they offered coupons though. TV isn't an inalienable right for people smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Although, public schools are requiring kids to watch TV programs for homework assignments and it does affect their grades. So the families who can't afford TV/cable have children whose grades are lower. I know I can't afford cable, thus my giant antenna that was installed nine years ago.

Also, TV is a very important part of homeland security. It's one way to get information out very quickly. Of course, that's assuming you have your TV on 24/7.

If they didn't offer the coupons, I probably would have not bought the converters and would have possibly had no TV service. The converters start at $50 each. I have 2 TVs - so that's $100 to convert both TVs. With the coupons - and the government will only give each household 2 - I bought the two converters I needed for a total of $20. I can afford that.

Last edited by Jeanne Daigle; 05/05/08 11:46 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
We have 2 converters in the house. We probably won't buy a digital TV until our old TVs die, blow up, or are abducted by aliens (or we win the lottery). We're frugal (re: cheap) that way.

Last edited by TrishPaganEd; 05/05/08 12:05 PM.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
I have digital cable

Rosie L
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I have yet to buy a converter, will get around to it one of these days. Like Jeanne, I can't afford cable servce.

A month or 2 ago my local PBS station lost some vital part of their regular broadcast antenna, and decided not to replace it since they already were broadcasting in digital. So now I'm down to the 4 regular channels. I DO miss Nova, so should get busy with the converter.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Schools *require* children to watch TV??? That boggles my mind. How can a school require a home to have a TV? How can that be homework?

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.