logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I'm twenty years old and though I don't plan on having a child anytime soon, I have been thinking about baby names.
One in particular I just love for a girl is Jezebel Meret (I would pronounce with a silent 't'). The middle name is ancient Egyptian and the first name... well, that's the problem.
I do realize the negative baggage the name 'Jezebel' has, but even so I love it all the same. I think it's such a pretty name!
However I would never want to give my (future) child a name if it would only inspire negative thoughts in the minds of those who heard it.
I've shared the name with people my age and they're not so familiar with the negative meaning. They like it. However I shared it with my mom and she immediately said it was not a good idea.
I wanted to get an outside opinion. Do you think the negative implication would still exist for my child's generation?
Thank you very much!

And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
Calling someone a Jezzebel is like calling them a prostitute or whore. Its not something I would call someone unless I wanted to be offensive.

OP Offline
I was afraid that was going to be the answer...
I definitely don't want to call my daughter a name that equates to 'whore'!
Thank you for the response smile Some other names I was thinking of include:

Odette Sariel (sah-ree-elle)
Analiese Mirielle
Angelika Faye

I'm partial to the first one; is it too 'out there'?
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Michelle Jean; 04/22/08 11:46 PM.

N
Parakeet
Parakeet
N
I have to second what Lisa said. In my mind, Jezebel is one of those "off limits" names (like Lucifer or Adolf) that I would really discourage people from using. The name may fit well with modern tastes (it's almost like a cross between Jasmine and Isabelle, even) but the negative associations just can't be overlooked. Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a "jezebel" as "an impudent, shameless, or morally unrestrained woman" -- not a way most parents would want to hear their daughters described.

I do really like your alternate choices, though. Odette is a great name that is really rarely used (at least in the U.S.). I love the flow of "Analiese Mirielle." I also really like it when something long is paired with something short, as with "Angelika Faye" -- I like how the names balance each other out.

Baby Name Blogger & Editor
Shark
Shark
I like the way Jezzabell sounds but I don't think you can get away from the meaning unfortunately frown

It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success. - David Feherty
OP Offline
Yeah, I asked some ladies at work about it too - they all said BAD IDEA!
I'm not so sure I'll be having children anyway... coming up with baby names is more of a hobby than a plan for me I guess you could say ^_^

Gecko
Gecko
I have a friend who's name is Ardriel. It was a combo of Arwen and Galadriel from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Not particularly helpful, but I thought I'd toss it out there.

I'm also of the mind that anyone can name their child anything they want. Just because your name may "mean" one thing doesn't mean that's what or how you are. Ardriel has no meaning to it...yet the person is a very wonderful person. Names don't dictate personality.

But, then again, I'm a non-conformist and I do stuff like that just to make people mad... >.>

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
"[Kryssie] plans to take over the world one banner at a time"
E
Koala
Koala
E
I think "Jez" would be a cute nickname though.

How about splitting the name up a bit and calling her something like "Isabelle Jez" or "Jessica Bella", or "Jazabeau" maybe? That last one would sound a tiny bit like Jezabel, but just out enough not to catch most people's ear.

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
J
Amoeba
Amoeba
J
@Michelle Jean: We actually have the same name, although mine's spelled "Jeanne." smile

Jezebel does have a negative connotation, yet I agree it sounds beautiful. Maybe you can use a name that sounds similar, like Isabel. But among the alternative names you gave, I like Analiese. smile

I'm chiming in late (I'm sure baby's already born & named) but Odette is gorgeous, a real name and uncommon enough. My neighbor's daughter is Galadriel, by the way...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.