Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
B
Hi Sharon:

I also have another issue that I would like us to talk about - Aging and loving yourself while you age.
I will be 36 this summer and I know I am still young, and very young-looking, but I have found some grey hairs and have some smile wrinkles that I have never had.
I know I have to love what is inside me and not what is on the outside - I am learning to do that - but it can be difficult in this society. I have always been considered really pretty (don't mean to toot my own horn because I never do but I want to illustrate my point) and it is tough to lose that.

I think that is a great issue to talk about - accepting the changes in your appearance as you age.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Wow, that's a great topic! And, it ties in so well with self-esteem.

As a society we certainly place a high value on personal appearance. It's finding that balance between self-acceptance and self-appreciation and the nautural process of aging.

The cosmetics surgery business wouldn't be a billionaire dollar industry if we all accepted aging gracefully. But I guess "gracefully" is an individual thing.

I'm a big believer that leaving our self-esteem in the hands of others is giving away our power.

With all that said, I'm the one who spends $150 a month on getting my hair colored so the grey doesn't show.

It's a great topic of discussion and a future article - thank you for your suggestion!

Sharon Michaels
Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.
B
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
B
I will probably dye my hair as well when the time comes.... so I believe the issue to explore it that it is okay to care about your appearance, but to never let it affect your self-esteem.

When I was a pre-teen, I was super skinny and I had very thick curly hair - I was different. I hated how I looked - it consumed me. I wasn't considered pretty until about 16 but my self image always had that shaky feeling that I won't be loved unless I looked good.
This is still in my mind somewhere, no matter how much I devote to loving myself for me. Aging is a trigger for me and brings me back to that time of hating my appearance. People sure do treat attractive people much better than less attractive people.

I talk to my therapist about this and I think we can all help each other here.

Last edited by BillieCat; 04/23/08 11:15 AM.
W
Shark
Shark
W
Smile wrinkles! What a wonderful compliment life has given you, BillieCat. To others, it show that you laugh and smile a lot, and have a fun personality. No need to be worried about those.

WestCoastDenise
West Coast Travel Site & Forum

B
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
B
Thanks smile
I was being kind to myself by calling them smile wrinkles because at this point in time, they are prominant when I smile.
I am overlooking the lines that are there otherwise!
I am trying to stay out of the sun and avoid a lot of stress which has been present in great amounts in my life......

H
Koala
Koala
H
Thank you for bringing up this topic. That was a great idea.

I like what you said, Sharon, about leaving our self-esteem in the hands of others is giving away our power.

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.