Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#410138 04/22/08 12:34 PM
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Did you know that your thoughts first thing in the morning can set the emotional tone for the entire day?
Yes, that's true!

So let me ask you this - How do you "emotionally" begin your day? Any positive tips you can share with us?

Two new articles are now posted on the Self Development site - one on self-esteem and one on personal power. Here's the link to our site - Self Development Articles

If you haven't subscribed to our free weekly newsletter, please take a minute and sign up - Self Development Newsletter

Happy Earth Day!

~Sharon smile

Sharon Michaels
Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
I say to myself that it is a new day and anything is possible smile

H
Koala
Koala
H
Last year i started an experiment... I wanted to see how much happier i could become in a month. I picked a whole bunch of things to try, but what surprised me was one of the most simple things... something that even sounded a little silly to me at the time... wound up having the most effect! That's when i started the "What Am I Looking Forward to Today?" thread here. Each morning i tried to name three things in the day i could look forward to. On the days i felt depressed after nightmares and it was hard to find even one thing, i still forced myself to do it. Those days were the most rewarding because while i wracked my brains trying to think of positive things, my mind was off feeling sorry for myself or discouraged. Often the things I picked were very small, immediate things... my coffee... petting my cat... knitting... the weather... talking to someone. It made me realize that most of happiness IS made up of these little things, but that if we don't look for what's under our nose, we take it for granted and miss the happiness part. Sometimes i forget to do this each morning, but i always come back to doing it because it works so well. Later, i started adding reviewing my day in the same way... What things am i grateful for? What were the best parts of the day? This is much better than thinking about what i didn't get done or what i have to do tomorrow. smile

B
Gecko
Gecko
B
That is true Holly - the little things are actually the BIGGEST things smile

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I start my day by going through my positive "to do" list in my head. At the end I say, "Today I am grateful for ..." then I get out of bed with an attitude of gratitude.

B
Gecko
Gecko
B
There are some days, of course, where I don't wake up in that positive attitude.... I think I woke up yesterday on the wrong side of the bed because I had a bad dream. I talked myself out of it but that is why we have to try so hard, for the bad days!

H
Koala
Koala
H
I'm sorry to hear you've been having nightmares, BillieCat. Wish i could help in some way.

B
Gecko
Gecko
B
Hi Holly:

At least I don't have bad dreams every night - most of the time I have good dreams; it really affects your morning after waking up to a bad dream.
It helps to come here, don't you think?

H
Koala
Koala
H
It does. I hope i don't sound crabby on those mornings after nightmares. I worry about that. I haven't been having as many as i did in the winter, until this last week. I kinda know what stirred it up this week for me... something happened that reminded me of the past.

You know, so many people I've talked to have had trouble sleeping this week! We had a full moon a couple days ago, but even still it seems really odd that so many people had trouble in the last four nights! I think more than half the people i know mentioned it this week. I wonder if that's just a coincidence or if the moon and the weather, etc. is behind it?

But it does help to come here. Sharon always has something interesting for us to think about and even just the company is good. smile

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I work out a "to do" list the night before. Then when I get up I'm focused on what I want to accomplish during my day.

I'm a morning person so I use the morning as my best time of the day.

I start out too visualizing and affirming positive things for my day.

S
Gecko
Gecko
S
I start my day when my husband brings me a fresh cup a brewed coffee in the morning and the dog comes and says good morning to me. Then we sit together in the bedroom and talk over our coffees before we get our day going. It seems like a small thing, but it's our routine. It's very meaningful to me. Even on the weekends, when I sleep in, I wait to get up (he gets up earlier than me) after he brings me a cup of coffee. Emotionally, I feel very loved and cared for. smile

H
Koala
Koala
H
What a nice routine! smile

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I try to exercise first thing while listening to my affirmations.

I know one thing that wrecks my day if I do it first thing--and that is reading celebrity gossip.

I'll log onto the computer to check email (something else you should not do first thing in the morning) and I'll see this intriguing celebrity article trending. I'll click on it and the next thing you know I read another and another. NOT a good way to start the day.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
first thing I do is make myself presentable - no witch visible - and that takes a while, short meditation, then have a shake and light breakfast, then check email.

P
P
I say to myself that it is a new day and anything is possible

P
P
What a nice schedule.

B
B
I begin with gratitude...the moment I become aware that I am waking up I mentally list all the things I am grateful for in my life.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J

There are some interesting comments in this thread. 'Gratitude' may sound simple but it is so powerful. It also has a profound effect on one's true happiness.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Spiritual Artist-

I love the way your day starts! That holds a space for love and presence. What a great way to start your day?!!!!

Hi Joy-

I start with a meditation, a statement of gratitude, and a statement of intention (i.e., Throughout this day I will operate from a space of love; I will use positive words and thoughts, I will maintain inner and outer peace wherever I am). This helps direct my day.

Last edited by Yvonnie-Inspired; 05/26/14 11:00 AM.

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I strive to do yoga each morning before I get sucked into my huge to-do list. It helps center me and let me focus on the tasks I want to do. And my body feels very good, too, which helps!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired
Hi Joy- I start with a meditation, a statement of gratitude, and a statement of intention... This helps direct my day.
Hi Yvonnie, do you have different statements of intention according to the day of the week? Joy

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
I strive to do yoga each morning before I get sucked into my huge to-do list...
Lisa, just out of curiosity, did you ever do pilates? If so, what did you find were the assets of yoga over pilates for setting you up for the day? Joy

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hey Joy!

Yes, my statements of intention change, depending on the lessons life is throwing me at the time. smile

Yvonnie DuBose
Inspiration
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
hello first i think some positive and do some reproductive things and don't forget to keep smiling :)

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J

Hi Teri, regarding "smiling" it's interesting that there have been several articles whereby patients have been 'cured' faster when clinical staff have smiled more. Joy

J
J
I begin my day with a fresh mind and make a list of things that I can do for the day. It helps me to keep focused and work a lot on the day that ends with a glad note.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: joannapaul
I begin my day with a fresh mind and make a list of things that I can do for the day...

Hi Joanna, yes, working through lists is great for that feeling of a day's achievement. Joy

M
M
I used to begin my day simply following the [quote]SUN[/quote]. I used to wake up when sun rise . Do [quote]YOGA[/quote] that"s key of all.

Last edited by Mia Silky; 12/18/14 04:12 AM.
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By: Mia Silky
I used to begin my day simply following the SUN. I used to wake up when sun rise . Do YOGA that"s key of all.

Hi Mia, here in the UK, in the Winter the sun doesn't rise till most people have left for work, and in the Summer it can be a struggle to get to sleep when the sun is still in the sky. I guess it must be even worse for people at the North Pole! Regards, Joy

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
How do I begin my day? A routine ... however, as much as I'd like to say I begin my day by laying in bed thinking about how grateful I am and what a blessed life I am living ... that would be a very far stretch. OK, more like a bold-faced lie! ha!

I get out of bed on auto-pilot. My 'before kids go to school' routine is how I begin each day. My brain never stops ... even on my daily walks, it's running a list of things I must remember to do, be, see, etc ...

But it is during that time that I am most likely to acknowledge the good and happiness in my life.

Last edited by Alice - Weight Loss; 05/08/15 09:26 AM.

AJ Alexander (aka: Bubbles)
Weight Loss Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I lay in bed and think about the novel I'm writing, the next chapter and what's going to happen next. Then I think about what I might want to eat...

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
If I haven't set the alarm because I have to go somewhere, and am just waking up naturally . . . I tend to spend some time with my eyes still closed and relaxing until I realize I'm actually awake. (That's as opposed to the times when I'm really not quite awake and am going to drift off back to sleep.) At which point I get up and get my orange juice, return to bed, get my laptop, and drink the former while dealing with emails, etc. on the latter before seriously getting up. (Being retired is fun!!!)

BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I tend to jot down dream exerpts.

I feel strongly we're awake both during the day (physically) but either restless at night or encounter information not available during the day which can then become implemented and useful during the physical.

Many inspirations for books, Art as well as Messages have throughout History been known to become inspired throughout our Dreaming process.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I like your train of thought Elleise. I know many of the story and article ideas I have came to me during dreams or just right as I was starting to drift off.

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J

Sometimes it's fun to try and get back into the dream I was having just before I woke up. If I can't, it makes me realise that it is indeed time to get up and begin the day!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I do that too JOY, if I can. There are other times when I'm glad that I finally woke up out of a dream too.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I have a spiritual routine I follow - first connect to the light and ask for any messages.

I get up - make coffee first thing LOL!!!

Then I write down any dreams, and then journal.

If I go on a facebook binge first - all is lost!!!

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I pull myself out of bed, because I love to sleep so much. Get some water, walk to the computer, sit down and take my vitamins. Then start my writing and all. I try stay away from FB, for the most part, during the day or I all is lost, like you said Deanna. I totally understand that.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I set the tone of the day. When the alarm goes off I immediately smile and thank God for giving me another day. I let the dogs out, then while they're out in the yard, I start writing my day plan. I write where I will go and when. I also make a list of any phone calls, emails and other mail I need to get done. After a lot of coffee I get myself ready for the day by showering and putting on new clothes. Then I get going!

Former Chocolate Editor. Also known as Daisybun.
Gecko
Gecko
Coffee...lots of coffee!

diamond engagement rings
*www.encoredt.com
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J

Here's an interesting tip for starting your day as productively as possible.

Just before you go to bed (the night before), list 3 things that you must get done the following morning. Then as soon as you wake up, action those 3 things without letting anything distract you.

It takes practice but it works! Joy

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I have a morning routine which normally begins around 6:00 am (I'm up way to early this morning!)

I begin my morning in service to my family. Then, laundry and emptying the dishwasher, make the bed. Take my son to school then I'm off for my morning walk. It's there that i prime myself, repeat affirmations and other such statements, appreciate nature, and plan for the day.

After I return home, I either write articles, read, or plan lessons for my next class.

I think the takeaway is getting yourself to stay in a state of positivity, productivity, and action. I can waste an entire day surfing the net. I need to be mindful not to indulge in that activity too often.

Weight Loss Editor

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J

Today I started the day by watching 3 squirrels and 2 mice all playing together under a Yew tree in the garden. It was so cute!

(It makes you reflect on how Nature simply carries on its business whatever's happening in the world... )

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Originally Posted By JOY ( Self Development )

Here's an interesting tip for starting your day as productively as possible.

Just before you go to bed (the night before), list 3 things that you must get done the following morning. Then as soon as you wake up, action those 3 things without letting anything distract you.

It takes practice but it works! Joy

Joy, I LOVE that idea. I have worked on my to-do list at bedtime, and I really like how that works out the next day. I also have reminders on phone, so I can't forget.

It always feels so much better when I've taken actionable steps!!

Deanna Joseph

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Originally Posted By Alice - Weight Loss
I have a morning routine which normally begins around 6:00 am (I'm up way to early this morning!)

I begin my morning in service to my family. Then, laundry and emptying the dishwasher, make the bed. Take my son to school then I'm off for my morning walk. It's there that i prime myself, repeat affirmations and other such statements, appreciate nature, and plan for the day.

After I return home, I either write articles, read, or plan lessons for my next class.

I think the takeaway is getting yourself to stay in a state of positivity, productivity, and action. I can waste an entire day surfing the net. I need to be mindful not to indulge in that activity too often.

Alice, that's what I think too. I know when I stay positive, productive, and take actionable steps, at the end of the day I feel really good about myself and my day. If I surf the net, or binge on Netflix, I just feel feckless.

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Good days - I am up, grabbing a pile of things to take downstairs with me to work on, selecting a book or two to read for the day, maybe a quick song plunked out on my Uke and many dog kisses. I settle down with a quick cruise of the local news and plan my day out with index cards. Depending on the weather, coffee inside or outside, and I settle to write, draw, research, read and plan the rest of the day. Not once on a good day has an invisible maid arrived to clean my house.

Bad days - I start off on the good day schedule, but might start with a quick look at the computer and follow links and posts on Facebook that can often lead me to read one thing that leads to another and before I know it, wow, my morning time is over! Yet, I do try to justify this time as research! smile Not once on a bad day has an invisible maid arrived to clean my house.

Last edited by Michelle - Teen; 09/18/15 05:36 PM.

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
First off Michelle!

You don't need an invisible maid. Post on your door "Welcome, Don't mind the mess, we live here!"

Mon-Fri I wake when the kids alarm goes off: 7 a.m.? Mine - 7:40 a.m. I start my coffee and tell the kids to shush the heck up, because dad is still sleeping...12 yr olds don't know the meaning of whispering at this point in their lives yet...especially in the not so wee hours of the morning (7 ish)....but really wee to some (dad!) lol

So - coffee brewing - check on it once or twice, because it leaks often! In between little people going in and out of the bathroom, I brush my teeth, wash my face and brush my hair (then pick it up from the floor) lol!

By the time I'm done in the bathroom (less than 3 minutes...time me! the kids are done eating breakfast and I can turn on my laptop and enjoy returning or deleting emails and responding to you at BOL before I drop them off at 8:15-ish!

Have a great weekend!

Last edited by Allyson - USACook/HomeCook; 09/18/15 09:59 PM.
J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By Allyson - USACook/HomeCook
...By the time I'm done in the bathroom (less than 3 minutes...

Hi Allyson, 3 mins in the bathroom is impressive. You should write an article on that as a time-management tip! Joy

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By Michelle - Teen
...Bad days - I start off on the good day schedule, but might start with a quick look at the computer and follow links and posts on Facebook that can often lead me to read one thing that leads to another and before I know it, wow, my morning time is over! Yet, I do try to justify this time as research!...

Hi Michelle, "research" time is really important. Your 'Bad days' sound pretty good to me! Joy

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thank you, Joy! I will now acknowledge these moments as "Research"!
I am also intrigued by the 3 minutes in the bathroom!!!!

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
LOL!! Michelle, that's pretty much how it goes, right! Ya, when I pop on Facebook first thing, that's it. My morning is shot UGH!

Oh ya, and I'm really good at justifying it HA HA!

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I can get lost if I click on my Pinterest button!

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OMG! Pinterest can take my entire day!!!!! I'm not even a member, I just will come across a link that leads there and get lost!

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I cannot get on any social media in the morning because my day will pass me by. By the time I'm done, I'm no longer inspired to work on anything else on my list. It's a total fail of a day.

Weight Loss Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I know what you mean Alice. My early morning distraction, which I have limited myself to, is to go through my email and answer posts on here and then concentrate on the work.

It's hard sometimes not to be distracted!

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By Allyson - USACook/HomeCook
I can get lost if I click on my Pinterest button!
OMG! Pinterest can take my entire day!!!!!...

Hi Allyson & Michelle, yes, Pinterest is an internet vortex! Joy

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Whenever I get into a morning groove - LIFE happens ... and then I have to create a new morning routine which seems to take FOR-EVER to become habit. When I'm finally rocking the new groove ... BAM! ... a new change has manifested itself. *sigh*

Sometimes, I long for the time when my life will become routinely boring ... but then again, maybe not! wink

Weight Loss Editor

G
G
[u]Same as all 7 days of the week. same as every other week and every month[/u].
[b]Clearing my mind[/b], by doing a 15-20 minute [i]"body feeling"[/i] meditation, afterwards I do a 5-10 review of what i plan to do/ achieve for the day, excluding Sundays when I review the weeks actions to ascertain what i did and am still due to achieve.

Geraldine Sebitlo[u]

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Geraldine! Hello. I love hearing about how you review your daily plan, and then do an overall evaluation on Sundays. I am going to add that into my weekly routine. I do the daily check, but I never do go back to really ascertain what I did and did not do.

I hope you are having a good day and welcome to BellaOnline!

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By Alice - Weight Loss
Whenever I get into a morning groove - LIFE happens ...

Hi Alice, I think it was John Lennon who said "Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans." One thing you can be sure about life is that constant change is inevitable! Joy

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Originally Posted By Geraldines
...Clearing my mind, by doing a 15-20 minute "body feeling" meditation, afterwards I do a 5-10 review of what i plan to do/ achieve for the day...

Hi Geraldines, an excellent start to the day! Joy

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Today, I am going to make my to do list and write.
Then, we will go from there, or at least check the list.
Have a great day, everyone!

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Today, I am going to make my to do list and write...

Hi Michelle, is playing your concert ukulele on the list? Joy

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Joy!!!! I was just playing!!! I should be writing and doing some house chores. But, I just received a new book of Christmas songs and I couldn't resist trying one or maybe four!
Thank you for asking! And, can I add any more exclamation points to this reply.

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

J
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
J
Joy!!!! I was just playing!!! I should be writing and doing some house chores...

Hi Michelle, what great synchronicity for us to think of it at exactly the same time! Joy

N
N
I open my computer, put juice in the freezer, go to the bathroom, get my things ready in the bathroom for later, do a few things on the computer, eat my breakfast and do a beauty routine. What follows that is I check my email (do not do that before - what i do then is 4 threads here and the rest are things for charity except looking at the new Explosm comic), the new petitions on Change (the Canadian website) and what happened on SanrioTown.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.