Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Shark
Shark
S
Originally Posted By: msbaby
They offer perks for good grades I wonder what might the results be if the schools offer some really nice perks for good behavior? Positive reinforcement might be a better way.

Excellent ideas that i mostly agree with... but is this the schools job? I thought that's what the parents are supposed to do. Be parents. When I was raised I was punished for doing wrong, and praised for doing good... Especially in school.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
Gecko
Gecko
K
I was shocked and horrified to read the stories that some of you shared. I had no idea that corporal punishment still continues today. I expected, being the year 2008, that teachers were no longer allowed to strike a child. This is definitely a topic I will write an article about. I want to thank each of you for sharing in this discussion.

I would like to point out, though, that just because a parent chooses not to spank does not mean that the child receives no discipline. There are, quite honestly, healthier ways to discipline a child. Assumptions should not be made that children which are not physically punished receive no discipline at all.

Last edited by kellideister; 04/22/08 12:17 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Yes I can post hundreds of studies that show that spanking / beating a child makes them more anti-social and disruptive in the long run.

Saying someone does not discipline their child if they do not spank them makes no sense. It's not logical. It's like someone doesn't feed their child if they don't feed them pizza every day. There is a HUGE difference between unhealthy discipline and healthy discipline.

Do some people not discipline their kids? Certainly. Just like some parents beat their kids. But neither is healthy. You should properly discipline your kids - just like you should properly feed your kids.

I know a ton of teens who are brilliant, well behaved and were never hit. I also know of a ton of teens who were hellions in the 50s and 60s. I think people who have an idyllic view of "older generations" are looking with rosy colored glasses ...

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 04/22/08 12:05 AM.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
S
Shark
Shark
S
Hmm I think i was taken a bit out of context, I completely understand there are plenty of other ways to discipline a child. The point i was trying to make, is that I disagree with the idea of having schools do the work of discipline. I feel that should be the parents job. And especially when it comes to being rewarded for good grades. Schools shouldn't be rewarding kids for doing what they are supposed too. Parents should.

K
Gecko
Gecko
K
Skeeter, I agree with you. I think it is also the parent's job to discipline their children. I also think rewards should come from the parents. Great point! :0)

K
Gecko
Gecko
K
Skeeter, I agree with you. I think it is also the parent's job to discipline their children. I also think rewards should come from the parents. Great point! :0)

Elephant
Elephant
my mother told my school administrators if they ever used the paddle on me she would come down there and use the paddle from head to toe on them and make sure she nails thousands of nails with the sharp points out in it first. Under no circumstance would she allow her kids to be paddled by a school.

They never did. Once a principal took out a paddle when I had been sent to his office. I told him he better think twice before he did. He laughed and still came after me anyways. Luckily the secretary popped her head in when she found out it was me in the office and said "do you know who his mother is? I woulnd't do that if I were you and wanted to keep my job!"

You see, my mom was the babysitter for most of the districts administrators and teachers throughout the years. If they were employees of the school district and got referred to my mom, she interviewed them and considered them for the job. So she had babysat the superintendants kids and so forth. She even babysat a few judges and lawyers kids for good measure. The threat was real.

The point I am making about this tirade? My mother considered discipline her job, not the administrators. It was her plce and right as my mother to smack my butt when I got into it. However, she never did spank me. All it took was a look from her knowing I was disappointing her and thats all it took. It might have helped that she took a wooden spoon out of the drawer when I was younger and smacked it on the counter, and thus it shattered. She told me if I didn't want it to be my [censored], I'd learn to respect her, her rules, and to behaive. All it took was that look or a couple steps towards that drawer to scare me straight (not literally obviously). Was it fear on my part that made me listen. I do not think so. it was the fact I learned there wrere boundaries that I could not cross and if I did I would have to face the consequences of violating that trust she placed in me.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
S
Shark
Shark
S
I'm glad that you were able to avoid any kind of physical discipline. And i'm glad that you felt it worked. Personally though if I would have ever even considered telling the principal of my school "I told him he better think twice before he did" I would have gotten tanned for disrespect.

Elephant
Elephant
oh, mom didn't like that one either. I was punished something fierce for that

I think I had to spend my recesses with him for the next month or so doing whatever he wished which involed a lot of line writing, cleaning and sitting there being bored

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ELS - Child Abuse Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.