Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Hey everybody! I'm the new Houseplants Editor, and to start things off, I would love to know what you are growing. What is your favorite plant, and why?

My favorite plant (this week!) is my Watermelon Pepperomia. It has cute, round, succulent leaves that have markings on them that make them look like little watermelons. It's my favorite because every time I look at it, I am reminded that sunny weather is on its way.

What about you? Would you recommend your favorite plant to me? I'm always looking for my next addition.

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
Sponsored Post Advertisement
I
I
I <3 my dragon tree!!

its a cheap little plant I bought from a local Meijers with a palm tree looking trunk. It has thin green blade-like leaves with a red stripe outlining each one.
I bought the tree because of it's ferocious name!!! grr...

E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
I have over 40 house plants, and I love them all. but my favs are the ones that climb and hang. I have some beautiful specimins, esp a Hoya that is being trained across my front room.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
Welcome Lisa Beth, I LOVE plants, I look forward to reading your page smile

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

C
Zebra
Zebra
C
Welcome, Lisa, nice to have you here!

I have two prayer plants that I've had for a long, long time and I love them. I like the fact that they close their leaves at night and gently open in the morning. It's very graceful.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Welcome and congrats, Lisa. What a nice site to have.

My favorite, without a doubt, is African Violets. They are so cheerful looking and they do not take up too much room and there are so many varieties. I do not like a lot of nic-nacs sitting around so I use the violets for decorating and they make me feel good, especially when I see new blooms coming out. They are also very old-fashioned and that is how I am in my home decorating.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Thanks for the warm welcome! So far, it sounds like you all have excellent taste in houseplants. grin Hoyas and Prayer Plants are some of my favorites, as well. So far, I haven't had much luck with African Violets, but part of the blame lies on the bugs they had when I bought them! I did see some lovely African Violets last week that just might get me out there again. They were an interesting red wine color...

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
Tiger
Tiger
My favorite is also African Violets. I have 8 that I nurtured from one plant when I was a teenager. I've had great luck with them. They came with me when me moved. I would have more but I don't have the room.

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I, too, have about 40 house plants, some of which are 30 to 40 years old. It's hard to say which is my favorite, they are like cherished pets. I love the tangerine tree that my son planted from seeds over 40 years ago. It blooms and bears fruit every few years, and must be pruned every fall to get it back into the house again. Then there is the oleander that is a cutting from one my long-deceased FIL brought back from Arizona about 60 years ago, my plant must be at least 45 and blooms every summer. It, too, has to be pruned every fall to fit back into the house.
They all have stories to tell!

L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Originally Posted By: Claybird
It's hard to say which is my favorite, they are like cherished pets.

I agree 100%!!! I have some rather difficult and finicky plants. (But doesn't that make them interesting?) I have helped other people learn how to grow them by pointing out that they are quite like pets. You can't feed your cat whenever you FEEL like it...you have to feed it when its hungry. You have to be observant with plants because while they can't meow, they can certainly tell you when they are displeased.

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
R
Gecko
Gecko
R
I like the rubber trees - I can grow them!!

My grandmother had houseplants all over. The best ones were the spider plants! They were always multiplying.

L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
I think everyone likes rubber trees. Spider plants are cool because there are always more to pass around, but I have the hardest time keeping the leaf tips from turning brown. I need to be pickier about the water I give them, I think! smile

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
M
Koala
Koala
M
I used to have tons of plants, but found that I was neglecting them frown due to time constraints. I found good homes for the ones I decided to let go. The favourites of the ones I have left are the african violet that my daughter gave to me a few years ago and the orange tree that I planted from a seed many years ago. I have been wanting to go on a trip to Africa forever, but simply can't afford it & when my daughter gave the african violet to me she said that was the closest she could get to sending me there herself. smile

Hope you like it here Lisa. I dropped by 6 years ago and decided to stay. smile

Mavis
B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
My husband bought me an orchid for our anniversary 3 years ago and to my surprise, it's done really and blooms every year! I thought they were hard to take care of but this one has been great.

Usually I like simple or even silk-lol.

L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Thanks for the welcome, Mavis! I'm a bird owner, myself, so I will have to drop by your forum. That is a very sweet story attached to your African Violet.

Green1...I have had the same experience with my orchids. The flowers I get on them myself are twice as impressive as the ones they had when I first got them! lol! They really aren't so difficult.

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
My mom has a tremendous green thumb. I think one of her favorites must her rabbit's-foot fern that must be 40 or 50 years old; she got it from a great-aunt about 30 years ago. The "rabbit's-foot" part of the plant has grown to completely cover the basket it was planted in. She has vines, and hibiscuses, and christmas cacti. Spider plants are very cool because they are one of the most efficient air cleaners of the houseplant world. She did very well with African Violets (I think some of that had to do with the pots) until they all got something and died. She must have had 30 plants die of a mold or a mite or something.

Myself, well.... I have a black thumb. My husband will water things, so I'm hoping to get some patio tomatoes working this summer, even if they don't really count as houseplants.

S
Shark
Shark
S
My mom had a philadendra for years and took with us whenever we moved. Later In the 70's houseplants were all the rage. My favorites were always spider plants. I tried a Boston fern but they always died. My favorite name is the mother-in-laws tongue.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I have a jade plant that was part of a dish garden I received as a gift when my 3rd child was born. The rest of the plants eventually died but I have always kept at least a cutting from the jade plant with me during the past 27 years and 2 moves. The current plant is about 1.5 feet tall and I just love it. When I moved from NJ to MO I took just a small leaf from the original plant and planted it when we arrived here. It's definitely the houseplant I've had the most success keeping alive!

S
Shark
Shark
S
Helen, my jade plants are outside right now. I guess I will have to put them indoors in the winter. What part of Missouri are you in?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sue - Houseplants 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.