Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#408029 04/17/08 12:20 AM
W
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
W
On the Columbia River, bordering between Oregon and Washington, there has been a debate if sea lions that have come inland from the ocean (via the Columbia) should be killed. They are competing for salmon with the recreational fishermen.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

WestCoastDenise
West Coast Travel Site & Forum

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Koala
Koala
L
I didn't see anywhere in the article that it was that recreational fishermen were competing with the animals. It said this: "Those favoring the removal say the sea lions are damaging salmon runs listed under the Endangered Species Act and protected at great expense."

However, I believe that salmon are there for the wild animals - orca, sea lion, whatever. I don't eat salmon (actually, I avoid all salt water fish) because their shrinking numbers mean that more marine mammals are losing food sources.

There is a reason why those sea lions are coming inland - it's because they are slowly losing the battle against humans and are being forced to become creative. This is like when wolves start ranging into cities and people freak out - well, if you destroy their habitats, they have to go somewhere. Solution: DON'T DESTROY THEIR HABITATS AND FOOD SOURCE. We have to share the planet with everyone, we can't just rape everything for our own selfish wants. Notice I say WANTS, not NEEDS.

So maybe they ARE damaging populations under the ESA, which is a different story than commercial or recreational fishing. But still, there is ALWAYS a better solution than death.

W
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
W
This issue has been going on for some time. There's a little bit of reading between the lines here. The fisherman are pretty upset over the coast ban (see link below). There is a bit of legal political jargon in order to justify getting rid of sea lions.

The commercial salmon runs are stopped this year on the coast because of not enough salmon. So they want the rivers for fishing.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

WestCoastDenise

B
Shark
Shark
B
OH. Tear! The poor defenseless fisherman fighting with the Sealions for the bounty of the sea. Well, let's see. The sealions aren't doing it for the money, are they?

There's your answer as to why they want them killed...Getting in the way of the greenbacks.

Man, I wonder if we'll ever see the day when they'll declare open season on the fisherman......

If so, I wish to be the first to line up for a license.

W
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
W
Yes, in the end it is always about money and/or power.
Animals encroaching on populated areas for food is a tough subject and many people just look the other way. Traditionally, humans have not been good stewards of the land and water, so animals disappear.

WestCoastDenise

L
Koala
Koala
L
I checked out that link. That sucks. I honestly don't think we should be eating salmon at all. It really is leading to the declining population of so many animals (including my favorites - orcas.)

Tiger
Tiger
Quote:
Should Sea Lions be Killed?

Definitely not! I'm totally against the Canadian seal hunt and culling any animal because they are an inconvenience to man.

N
N
NO they should not be!! I'm for animal rights,and they have the right to live too!!
N.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Killing sea lions so they can get more money? What are they thinking?!

S
Shark
Shark
S
Misguided... hmm.... Most of the rivers have put a ban on fishing for salmon. So they arn't competing with the seals. The salmon count is down almost 70%. Conservationalists (not just fisherman) are worried that within a year or two, there won't be any salmon left.

Take your pick, watch a species go extinct (pacific coast salmon) or pick off some seals.

If you are willing to fight for the animals.. don't forget to fight for both sides.

Last edited by Skeeter; 04/21/08 02:16 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.