Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I brought this up a few months ago in the Early Childhood forum I believe, about Corporal Punishment in school.

My elementary school had a paddle with holes drilled in it for less wind resistance and it had the words "Board of Education" printed on it.

In 1993, I was living in Florida and the schools still did corporal punishment there but they needed parents' permission. I would never give them permission so the principal called me one day when my oldest boy was acting out and asked if he could bring my son home so I could spank him and then he would take him back to school afterward. I said sure so when the principal brought him home, I told him that I would be keeping him home the rest of the day.

I was livid that he would call and ask me something like that.

There are still 23 states that allow corporal punishment in schools as well today. It is unbelievable.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I don't care what they call it - physical punishment is child abuse! Plain and simple. When I was in junior high school, I did not have my white shirt one day to "suit up" for gym class, because my mother had been working outside the home and had not yet done our laundry. I was sent to the Principal for a "swat" with a paddle like Vance described and got my swat on the butt and it stinged like crazy! When I told my father that night he was livid and went to the school the next day and really gave them whatfor!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Corporal punishment has been illegal in New Jersey since the 1890's. It did still happen when my parents were in school, in the 1920's and 1930's, but I never heard of it when I was in grade school in the 1960's. The sad part is that the law included ALL schools when it was written, but "private" schools still continued with it much longer.

An even sadder outcome, I think, is that , by the time I was a teacher in NJ, we were told to never touch any child for any reason, ever. That included a pat on the back or a hug for an upset child, because it might be misconstrued.

It would be wonderful if we could find a rational compromise, but no contact is better than corporal punishment.

Parakeet
Parakeet
When my little 5 yr old boy was scheduled for hernia surgery..I notified the school that he absolutely was not to be paddled for anything..The school had a policy of corporal punishment for any small thing..We had gone round and round with them for their "cruelty"..I threatened them with a suite but got no where..
Well, my ornery little one found a pair kids shoes laying on the playground and he tossed them over the fence..The assistant principle, (who weighed 300 lbs), whipped him severely from his back to his ankles. He was criss crossed with red marks..
I didn't notice them until the evening at bath time..He was a tuff little guy and didn't want me to see his hurts..It took my breath away to see those marks..So of course I went back to the school and raised a fit..They acted like it was nothing..We ended up taking him out of school for the rest of the year and by the next year they had changed the CP policy..But guess what..That assistant principle went on to work in another school..We lost track of him..but I'll bet another little kid received his wrath..It damaged my boy, not only physically but emotionally..He never liked school after that..And school became a struggle for him.. cry

shootingstar123

When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are, anything your heart desires will come to you.
C
Shark
Shark
C
I grew up in a large city and was educated in its public schools in the 1950's and 60's. This city has a reputation for being very free-spirited. Interestingly, corporal punishment was against the law there, so, I never encountered it personally. Even with the reputation my city had, students were overall well behaved at school. We were polite to our teachers and, generally, our teachers received respect. It seems obvious, to me, that a well-disciplined student body can be achieved without beatings and spankings. If it was possible to have well behaved students in that city, it could happen anywhere.

I think what made a big difference was that, for the most part, parents of my peers layed down the law at home. They made it clear that, if they heard anything negative from the school about their kids, there would be serious consequences at home. Everyone was afraid their parents would "kill" them. Of course, "kill" wasn't meant literally; but consequences were feared.

It seems to me that things changed when drug use became so much more prevalent not only among kids but with parents, too. It doesn't seem like it's just a mere coincidence that the drug culture came along about the time that discipline at home and at school started to break down.

The prevalence of drugs, though, isn't the only problem affecting our schools. Ironically, the advances women have made in the job market have reduced the pool of really bright women available for teaching positions. It's too bad more states do not pay teachers on a scale with private sector jobs. This would have the effect of attracting the best minds to the teaching jobs and would reflect the idea that really good teachers deserve to be rewarded. Another problem with our schools seems to be teachers' unions. There are so many cases of bad teachers whose jobs are protected by the unions. Arrrrgh!

Over time we became homeschoolers for our kids. It's a great alternative for many people who are disappointed with what has become of our schools; but I know not everyone is free to provide homeschooling for their children.

cela
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
They turn in parents for less. This is ridiculous. It is too bad that half the bullies in the school are the adults.

Last edited by Violette - Daughters; 04/20/08 12:22 AM.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
B
Shark
Shark
B
This issue really could be considered a mixed bag simply because there are some many variables involved. I can remember being in second grade and I was out of my seat and my teacher grabbed the wooden paddle and told me to come to her in front of the class. Well, instead I ran around the room and drove her completely crazy to the total amusement of the rest of my classmates and the worst that happened was I ended up in the principals office.

I was spanked growing up by my parents and I really don't regret them doing that due to it showed me that there were boundaries to not cross and things that just weren't tolerated. And let me tell you, I don't disagree with spanking a child. I did with my children not very often, but there were times also and my kids are eighteen and thirteen now and my daughter and son know their boundaries and they know what is expected of them and what I expect of their behavior in public, etc. And I have to be honest in saying I have two really great kids. A son who is the most loving son I could've ever asked for and a daughter who I am damn proud of because of all of her academic achievements and she is on her way to graduating Valedictorian in May.

I was raised with the spare the rod/spoil the child. For me, I believe it's true. I see kids in my community with no discipline whatsoever and these kids are heathens. They destroy property, hit other kids, drug use, alcohol use, sexual violence, etc.

And all their parents ever say is that my child would never do something like that when the evidence is staring them in the face, they still refuse to accept responsibility.
I think over the years, many parents got lax in raising their kids and laying down the law. I don't think it's a school's responsibility to discipline the child. It's the parents job.
The parents should be teaching their children respect, honor, and values, not how to get high or how to commit crime and get away with it etc etc.

So yes, Corporal Punishment in school to me is wrong because if the parents would discipline the children and teach them boundaries, then the school wouldn't need to do anything but their jobs of teaching our children and helping them to prepare for life when they graduate.

Gecko
Gecko
Well I just wanted to sort of point out that actually kids behavior is much worse now than when they did allow corporal punishment. Yes I was spanked as a child way too much and it ended up not being effective at all, so too much of it is not a good thing at all. Some kids do not respond to "talking" at all and in my opinion kids do need discipline. I would not want to be a teacher these days, I don't even have my 12 year old in school, we home school now. I honestly don't have a good answer for this but again you have to admit that some of the old ways did work and what they are doing now is NOT working. You have kids that are so dis respectful and I see parents who don't parent, it's a problem.

S
Shark
Shark
S
Originally Posted By: cela
It seems obvious, to me, that a well-disciplined student body can be achieved without beatings and spankings.

I think what made a big difference was that, for the most part, parents of my peers layed down the law at home.

Thought I would quote these two lines as I try to make my point.... although they pretty much sum it up. If todays parents were actually willing to put forth any kind of restriction and discipline, then kids would behave, and there wouldn't be any form of corporal punishment. If you would actually be parents and control your children it wouldn't be an issue.

But since you are either too lazy, too "high and mighty", or simply trying to raise your children to be "free spirits". The schools are forced to do it.

I know when my nieces go to school, they act out constantly. They are also in a school that, thanks to liberal parents who won't discipline their children but will most deffinently sue the school for trying, will not control them in anyway. Sitting in the back of the room on career day, I watched the same group of kids disrupt class for nearly 4 hours. The teacher was unable to teach, the children unable to learn.

But I guess thats ok with you... It's more important that your children are never disciplined, and can live free, rather than actually get an eductation.

Last edited by Skeeter; 04/21/08 01:54 AM.
Gecko
Gecko
When are people going to figure out that beatings are not going to solve anything? There will always be the tough kids who think that taking a whipping without crying makes them look even tougher and in reality just piles more resentment in on top of whatever emotional upheaval that is already going on.

They offer perks for good grades I wonder what might the results be if the schools offer some really nice perks for good behavior? Positive reinforcement might be a better way.

If that doesn't work, the hard cases that are disruptive should be isolated so that the other children won't get the misguided idea that the bad guys are cool.

Last edited by msbaby; 04/21/08 05:32 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ELS - Child Abuse Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.