Next Thread
Print Thread
#403630 04/07/08 02:55 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK we're watching Roar (from Netflix) now - it's a Robin Hood type of story set in Ireland in the year 400. Heath Ledger is the main hero.

I really have an issue with the costumes in this series - but I suppose I have an issue with most costumes in "medieval times". Some of these outfits are more like goth vampires ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Wow - sounds great, just the sort of thing my family would love!

Must investigate - was the rest of it good? Like, is it only for sci-fi fans?

Did it have any history education value? I wonder if it's available in other formats?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Other formats? Do you mean other than DVD? I don't think it's on VHS tape ...?

There were only 13 episodes. So far I've seen the first four. I found it extremely iffy on historical accuracy. It's more like a multicultural group of LA kids being sent back in time. Here's one of the women they meet -

I really loved the old BBC Robin Hood (with Praed) which was very pagan-based and was hoping this would be along the same lines. Conceptually it is, but so far the plot is usually guessable from the beginning and the costumes and acting are just not great. It still might get better as it goes.

But again, it only lasted 13 episodes ...

When I compare these episodes with Firefly for example, Firefly was SO much better in every way - acting, dialogue, costumes, etc smile So it's not that it's "hard to make a fantasy series that's great". It's just that Shawn Cassidy didn't get a great team together for this. It was a superb idea that wasn't played out well.

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 04/07/08 05:23 AM.

Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Oh ! I don't suppose there's much point in me asking how related to ancient Ireland it is then? (Filming,location, sets,actor nationalities etc.)

Still, that's only from my point of view. My two sons would probably love it and not care LOL !

We all loved Braveheart,Rob Roy,Robin Hood !

Tiger
Tiger
Well, I feel bad. I recommended it to you.

Tiger
Tiger
I don't know if you watch soapies but Longinus plays Jerry Jax on General Hospital these days.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Oh don't feel bad at all Moe!! I definitely am going to watch all three DVDs.

In a way it's like the "new" BBC Robin Hood. The dresses that Maid Marian wear are ridiculous smile I just roll my eyes every time I see them. And they have a female Islamic Merry Man. The dialogue is full of modernisms. But there are always fun parts of watching it anyway. They want it to be engaging to young modern kids and I understand that.

The location seems a mixed bag. Their ending shots all seem filmed at the Giant's Causeway which I love, which is up at the very northern end of Ireland (well Northern Ireland) with the hexagonal basalt stones. But looking at IMDB they say the series was really filmed in California. Which I really do believe because they have some shots in there that seem NOT Irish at all. We've been to Ireland twice and one of the times we took a car all around the island in a full loop. They have landscapes in the show that don't seem to match up.

Low Carb Forum
Tiger
Tiger
Speaking of modern dialogue, how long has the word F*&^ been around. I've been watching the series ROME for a while now and they use that word a lot. I somehow don't see Ceasar using that word but it's there.

Moderated by  Helen - SciFi TV 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.