Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I now am realizing my thread above might have sounded like I was attacking people who posted prior - and i did NOT mean it that way at all!!! I am basically defending against the stereotype that all fat people are lazy and have no self control. I am talking about how it's a cultural impression that society has to do better with educating as a whole - that obesity is a disease, that there are ways to control it, and that not all overweight people are sitting around binging. smile

Oh, and I wanted to say that everyone who has posted in this thread has shown a GREAT deal of courage, to speak up honestly. smile But then, so have I. It's a tough topic. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 04/17/08 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
I want to point something important out to all posters. It is society that "dictates" what a healthy weight should be. That weight is generic.And society indirectly gets their "ideal" weight numbers from health insurers.

Insurance companies have ruled the weight charts for years by their statistics; e.g. a person whose height is 5'5" should weigh_____. That does not take into account how the weight is carried. I have a beautiful friend who is 176 at 5'5" She looks great, plays sports, and is better shape than many others I know. Yet her doctor has told her she is obese.

I am not bypassing the inherent dangers of obesity here, I'm simply stating that we are not generic, our bodies are all different, and I have known women of varying weights who can fit into the same size.

The key is this: if anything interferes with your life in any way, then it is not healthy.

Last edited by kristen houghton; 04/17/08 04:19 PM.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Loki - that is awful that people would yell at your mom for being out walking, never mind throwing eggs at her!! What kind of a world do we live in when people would even think about doing that? The kids should have been hauled into court and made to do community service.

Good for her for finding her footing in life!! It is SO true that we have to learn to tune out the tormentors of the world and just believe in ourselves. I know it's super hard to do. I'm not good at it myself smile We have to do what is healthy for us even if the world might laugh at us while we do.

Your mom IS an inspiration!!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Originally Posted By: GreyDrakkon
Personally, I LOVE it when I see someone overweight walking out and about! I feel happy for them, knowing that they're trying. And for every minute they're out walking, they're not eating chips or whatever, so that's doubly in their favor.

Yes definitely GreyDrakkon! I always feel very inspired when I see someone who is out of shape out walking or being active. I want to give them a thumbs up or encouragement, but I also don't want to upset them by bringing attention to them. So I give them an internal cheer smile Maybe I should do something more external?

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Originally Posted By: Ms A
... I try not to feel self-conscious, but there are times when I refrain from an activity because of my weight. However -- if anyone had said boo about our fairly recent trip to Arches N.P., tough! I had a blast with my dh and ds, scrambling over rocks in Fiery Furnace. (And the guys were kind enough to carry the backpacks with lunch, snacks and extra water -- lots of that! -- that we had packed.) After that, I felt soul-full. I just need to go on vacation more often! ;-)

That is sad that you're holding back on your own desired activities because of what others might say!! We need to get you some bright pink polka dotted clothes and encourage you to go out and "just do it" smile

It sounds like you had an awesome time! Good for you! I definitely agree that you should take regular vacations, even mini-ones can help smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Originally Posted By: kristen houghton
I want to point something important out to all posters. It is society that "dictates" what a healthy weight should be. That weight is generic.And society indirectly gets their "ideal" weight numbers from health insurers.

Insurance companies have ruled the weight charts for years by their statistics; e.g. a person whose height is 5'5" should weigh_____. That does not take into account how the weight is carried. I have a beautiful friend who is 176 at 5'5" She looks great, plays sports, and is better shape than many others I know. Yet her doctor has told her she is obese.

I am not bypassing the inherent dangers of obesity here, I'm simply stating that we are not generic, our bodies are all different, and I have known women of varying weights who can fit into the same size.

The key is this: if anything interferes with your life in any way, then it is not healthy.

You are definitely SO right! We've talked about this a lot in other threads, but just a weight is never a good judge of health or not. What you want to know is the percentage of fat, percentage of water and percentage of muscle. There are many scales on the market in modern times which tell you this.

According to the BMI calculator -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Low Carb Forum
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.