Next Thread
Print Thread
#404402 04/08/08 03:11 PM
B
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
B
I just noticed two patches on the sides of my cat - he must have pulled out his hair. He has never done this, nor have I ever had a cat do this.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BillieCat #404431 04/08/08 04:02 PM
Elephant
Elephant
could be a nervous tick or possibly even a flea allergy. Ask your vet.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Lady J #404468 04/08/08 05:24 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Billie cat, are the bald spots on his hind legs? I had a cat who did that once (though that cat was female, so this may be completely different from your cat's situation). She would find somewhere to hide and start ripping out the fur. The vet said it was a hormonal problem, but didn't seem sure.

The cat basically cracked up. Her eating and litter box habits became irregular (sometimes refusing to eat for days and frequently choosing non-litter box locations for the first time in her 7 year life). She became very anti-social. She didn't want to be around the human household members. Then she didn't want to be around her feline companion, either. She wouldn't take care of herself, she didn't want us to take care of her, and the vet was at a loss. Eventually, after months of increasing withdrawal, she was put down. The entire experience was awful for all involved.

Two things you need to do:
1. Look very closely for changes in his environment or routines. (It was years later that I realized the changes in my cat began about the same time I stopped being at home as much. She had been closest to me of the four people in that house, and my constant absence may have been the trigger.)
2. Get him to a vet. If the first one doesn't have a satisfactory answer, go Dr. shopping. (We should have found a vet who could truly help. Someone out there could have, I'm sure. Hindsight is 20/20. I beg of you, PLEASE use mine.)

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
M.B. #404708 04/09/08 10:11 AM
B
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
B
Thank you both.
I inspected him last night and he seems better - it isn't completely bald, just hair is being pulled from that area (on either side of his back).
I watched him last night when he was cleaning to check if he went for this area and he didn't. Right now I am hoping it is a one-time thing.
He was just at the vet two months ago and he had a full exam since he is a senior now - he is healthy except for being a few pounds overweight, and he had two teeth pulled.
I am trying to see if anything in his personality has changed, and it hasn't - I did start given him some Dental Diet food last month because I don't want him to have to have anymore extractions. Maybe he was stressed over the new food although he likes it. He is doing well on his diet - he was almost 23 pounds a few years ago, now he is 19 - the vet wants him at 16. He takes the Hills Feline MD diet food and I am happy it has worked - he is the type of cat that doesn't have a good metabolism.
He is an all-around mellow cat so hopefully he was just itchy there; I am hoping it isn't stress.
Thanks for sharing your story Myrabeth. My pets are my life, and they are very pampered smile
I have a special relationship to this cat more than any other. He is like a soulmate to me!

If things get worse I will take him in to the vet - she is a wonderful vet. Lately though, he has been stressing going there -he now wets himself in his carrying case - he has done this the past two years only; before that, it didn't bother him. Maybe because he is older.

Last edited by BillieCat; 04/09/08 10:12 AM.
BillieCat #405414 04/10/08 08:39 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Our older male cat has been doing the hair-nibbling for a while on his legs. The vet says it's a quite normal behavior that some cats do for whatever reason. They see it quite frequently. So definitely talk to a vet, but it might not be anything serious.

Ours is 14 years old. He is also fairly overweight - he was 20 pounds for a while and is now just under 17 pounds.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Lisa LowCarb #405655 04/11/08 10:06 AM
B
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
B
Did you have him on the prescription diet? (Hills MD)

BillieCat #405692 04/11/08 11:10 AM
W
Shark
Shark
W
BillieCat-How is your kitty? This theory may not apply but could your cat have acquired some sort of fungus or allergy that is making him itchy or lose hair.

WestCoastDenise
West Coast Travel Site & Forum

B
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
B
Thanks for asking Denise:
He hasn't pulled out anymore hair, and when he cleans, he doesn't go for that area.
I am assuming he had an itchy spot that one day, and pulled out too much by accident.
He is acting fine and his health is good otherwise. Now.... I am worried about my doggie.....
That is on another site!

Have a great weekend

Moderated by  Melissa-Catholicism/Cats 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.