#404608 04/08/08 11:25 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I like to try new things every year... my husband does his old standbys (but, he's a good cook).

Here are our seder menus this year:

First Night

chopped liver
meatballs
veggie sticks

gefilte fish

balsamic herb rubbed chicken
chicken nuggets (for my children who don't eat anything)
peach kugel
sweet tater kugel
orange vinaigrette asparagus

meringue surprise cookies
flourless chocolate torte or a chocolate mousse pie
raspberries

Second Night

chopped liver
meatballs
veggie sticks

tri-color matzo balls and carrot soup

chicken with cumin, garlic and tomato
roasted asparagus salad
broccoli souffle
zuchinni tomato gratin

french almond macaroon cookies
chocolate sorbet
strawberries

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
can i eat at your house lol

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
only if you help cook

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
We only do one night seder, and most of our guests usually end up being non-jews.

We do (along with the seder plate stuff):

Vegetarian "chopped liver"
Matzo Ball Soup
Beef Brisket and onions
Vegetarian Matzoh Lasagna
Sweet Potato Kugel (vegan)
Spinach Casserole
Apple Matzoh Cake
Caramel Matzoh Butter Crunch (for dessert and as favors)

It's a big dinner, but a lot of fun...

Nicki :-)

Nicki Heskin, Breastfeeding and Early Childhood Editor
Breastfeeding Site - Breastfeeding Forum
Early Childhood Site - Early Childhood Forum
Shark
Shark
Lisa, how many people are you having with all of that food! And does anyone help you? You're undertaking so much! I used to do both nights and not get any help. I was totally exhausted, and usually a little angry afterwards. I have two sister in laws very capable. Wait, I have one sister in law very capable...

This is what I do now. I ask my not so capable sister in law to bring dessert every year. If she shows up before dessert we are all happy. Sometimes dessert doesn't amount to much. I always have one dessert to cover me. My other sister in law started making one of the two sedars. The joint effort keeps me much calmer.

I usually make a brisket, which I can do in advance (actually tastes better when done in advance). Knowing that my main course is done in advance also keeps me calmer the night of the sedar. I also cut down on the number of dishes I serve, since that added so much extra pressure. I now serve calmer and can enjoy my company more.

This year I decided to skip the brisket because of cost. I thought I was having 10 for dinner, but I am now up to 16! Not a big deal, just need more food... So my new, less expensive plan for dinner is:

Soup with flanken and chicken, and of course matzoh balls. The soup is very hearty and almost acts as the main course. This must be done in advance so that the fat can be removed, so again, the most important part of my meal is done in advance.

Stuffed cabbage
Broccoli souffle
Matzah farfel
Sweet potato kugel
Green salad-- I'll see what looks good the day I'm shopping...

Whatever is brought for dessert.

We've got some overlap in our menus. What do you put in your peach kugel? Have you made it before. It sounds yummy to me! But then again, I like the sweet potatoes mixed with peaches. I usually do that at Thanksgiving.

I'm planning on tough days Thursday and Friday. The big clean is already in motion! Not much food left and the refrigerator is starting to look empty. What will my family eat all week???

Shark
Shark
Sounds nice Nicki. I love when things are a little different. My guests were mostly non Jewish one year-- it was probably our most fun sedar! This year my son invited his friends from college that don't have a sedar to go to, so we should have fun with new people too.

Your dishes sound vegetarian-- what's the brisket doing there?! And, do you have the recipe for the vegetarian matzoh lasagna? Have you made it before? One of my friends makes the caramel matzoh crunch-- wow is that good!

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
We're having 36 people over the 2 nights. One year, we had close to 60something people at one of our seders. That was crazy and not very meaningful.

My husband's family (which is a big part of that 36) also don't contribute much to the meaning. No one else in the family keeps kosher so I prefer to do everything myself.

My husband enjoys cooking so he will help..and, like you - Carol - Thursday and Friday will be LONG days. Your menu sounds great! So does yours, Nicki. I love the idea of doing a veggie lasagna. I don't eat meat, so I had to make sure there were some tasty things for me to eat.

I (tried) to pick a lot of things in advance... and may even consolidate the menu (why should I cook different menus when it's different company) and/or make some easier recipes. The hardest recipes are the desserts so if I have to skip them, I will.

Both your menus seem as crazy as mine - you just have one night and I have two.

Did I mention I'm leaving town to celebrate my friend (since Kindergarten)'s 40th birthday? This Sunday to Wednesday.... I'm bringing my Passover dishes in tomorrow because it's my only day with a babysitter. My husband is kashering on Tuesday night and when I get back, I'm going to start cooking - with all my children at my feet "helping".

I'm really looking forward to it. wink

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Jase -

Looks like you can do a Seder-crawl if you want!

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Elephant
Elephant
LOL I help out when I am asked. I can cook, hate doing dishes though LOL

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
I do most of the cooking - my mom does the soup -

Matzo ball soup, brisket, red potatoes, string beans. That is all but my husband adores the brisket!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.