logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#383840 02/29/08 01:33 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I used to knit a lot but just do not have the time anymore. Can anyone recommend a really good knitting machine?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Hi Phyllis, welcome to the knitting forum!

To be honest knitting machines all have their pros and cons and will do different things. I'll get an article up about this in the next day or two, I'm just back from a lengthy absence.

OP Offline
Thank you, Gillian. The one I used, years ago, just did simple knit and purl - but, it was really nice to be able to get a knitted sweater out faster.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
The cheapest way to go for a knitting machine is to get one of the ones called Fashion knitter. It is a very basic machine that is like the Ultimate Sweater Machine.

I have been reading bunches about the different machines available and besides the bond there is only one that is currently still being made.

You can watch ebay for some machines but a lot of them get to be very expensive to purchase in auctions. Even parts for many of them are expensive.

You know the machines only do a knit stitch unless you hand manipulate the purls or have a ribber (garter carriage will do purls but those were only made for brothers and are very expensive to buy).

I just went through many searches for one of my machines (a Brother KH341) trying to find needles for it. I finally managed to find 25 of them from Needle Tek, but other then that I found nothing.

Since the needles are getting just as hard to find I went and purchased lots of extras for my KH910 and KH930, plus a bunch for my ribber attachment. Then I managed to find a few for my KH210 machine.

If you decide to check out the machines on ebay make sure the parts are all there. You can go to ftp://ftp.brother.ca/ENGLISH/KNITTINGMACHINE/ to download some free manuals for the brother machines to be able to see what parts should be with the machines and therefore be able to ask questions of the seller.

I am not sure if there are any online sites for some of the other brands of machines that are found at ebay but some searches or asking in groups (there are some nice groups at yahoo), can get you some answers to that.

Do realize that just because you needle knit doesn't make for an instant "I can machine knit". I do needle knit and loom knit, still the learning curve for my machines has been driving me nuts. Lots of dropped stitches, ends messing up and not knitting right has been quite common. Figuring out yarn weights for machines is another big thing. What a manual calls a worsted, doesn't match up to what we know as a needle knitter to be worsted. I have had to swatch, swatch, swatch, to figure out tensions on the machines I have.

You also need to ask yourself just what you want your machine to be able to do, such as yarn weights. I have a 210 that is a bulky machine, it can use thinner yarns but I often have to double or triple them, it does sports and worsted fine, but balks at the chunky yarns. I also have three standard machines, they don't even much like the sports weights of yarns, even at the highest tensions. There are a couple of good articles about how to choose a machine:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Shores/4536/machsel.htm
http://searchwarp.com/swa230346.htm
http://www.yarn-store.com/knitting-machines.html
that you might want to read over before buying a machine. Then there is this:
http://www.yarn-store.com/knitting-machine-chart.html Which is a listing of many machines giving info on the type of machine, age, number of needles, and other info that is good to know.

I have spent a small fortune just getting my machines into working order. Now I am learning to use them, well I think I am. ROFLOL

MaryJeanne

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
Hi Gillian, Did you ever get up articles for the knitting machines. I looked but I haven't found any. I would be interested in reading what you come up with. Each time I read or watch something I am learning something new to help me out.

MaryJeanne

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Hi Mary,

I'm glad you like my site! I haven't done the knitting machines article yet - hadn't realised so many machines were no longer being made because I last purchased one in the early 1990s when several brands were still popular. The knitting machine article IS on my to do list so watch this space!

In the meantime I can strongly recommendBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by KnittingEditor; 04/01/08 06:45 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Trailer for "Limbo" Starring Simon Baker
by Angie - 06/02/24 09:09 PM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 06/01/24 11:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 06/01/24 04:09 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 06/01/24 08:53 AM
Bandana Essentials
by Angie - 05/30/24 08:26 PM
French Open Tennis Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 05/30/24 01:20 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/29/24 05:24 PM
Outside the Box Sewing
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/25/24 12:37 PM
Fabric Flowers for Spring
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/15/24 10:40 PM
Review - Animated Illustrations by Jamie Bartlett
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/14/24 02:52 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.