Page 1 of 2 1 2
#400940 03/31/08 02:55 AM
B
bahrain Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
B
I am curious to know how most people feel about setting foot onto native burial grounds and if you have superstitions about them or certain feelings in regards to them.

For me, I have the utmost respect for them but as to the superstition part, not really. Not that I haven't read enough stories of true hauntings that involved them.

Can't wait to see some of your answers.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
There is a big battle going on in a little town not far from me concerning this subject. A man in Clarksville, Missouri wants to reopen a skyride that was closed years ago because it was built on a Native American burial ground. At one time, when I was a child, you could actually see the bones.

I have also read of many accounts of hauntings on sites of old Native American burial grounds. It is an interesting subject.

Deena Budd
Paranormal
B
bahrain Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
B
Yes, I have also read of many different accounts of actual hauntings on native burial grounds.

My opinion is that you shouldn't mess with them. I think they should be left in peace and not built upon.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
All graveyards should be left be.

Another problem that comes up with Native American burial grounds is that archaeologists want to examine the bones to learn more about the culture and demographics. I personally do not have a problem with this, but some Native American groups do in that the bones should be re-buried and left be.

Let's see if Phyllis from the NA site here has anything to wiegh in with on this topic.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I feel that any burial grounds are sacred and should be left alone out of respect not only to descendants of the departed but to the ancestors who blessed their grounds with sacred visions, ceremonies and beliefs. To disturb the burial grounds is a desacration and hurts more people than realized. The Native Americans have lost way too much to have to be subjected to this type of further discrimination and disrepect. frown

Last edited by Phyllis NatAmEd; 04/07/08 02:17 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
B
bahrain Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
B
Yes, Phyllis, I have to agree with you. But I have to say that most of the Native Americans I live with on a regular basis have lost their ways a long time ago.

Gecko
Gecko
Personally, I think all burial sites should just be left alone period. In my own opinion, it is just disrespectful to disturb them, even for "scientist" to study, it's just wrong. I always think of it as that is "someone's" mom, dad , sister, brother, relative and if it was a relative of mine, I would not want them disturbed.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
This issue has several sides. On one hand, the scientific study of remains can "fill in" gaps of Native history, on the other I feel the violation as well. Next to my Father's land in SC there is a Native burial site. Miss Ivy, the black woman who helped raised my Father after his Mother passed in childbirth told him of a funeral she had attended there as a child. We are not allowed to step into that area.

The other night I was looking through one of my new books and there were pictures of skulls with deformed foreheads. I had thought this only occurred in Central and South America, but these were from North America. I have to take some time to look into this and learn so more.

How do we learn with respect? What do we do with the remains once they are studied? Scientific advances are staggering. Once we study the remains, how do we know some technique won't be invented shortly that could glean further information from the remains.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Amoeba
Amoeba
I think it is wrong to build on Native American burial grounds. No one would ever consider building anything on our cemetaries. It is jsut wrong.

However I would like to see or be near a Native American burial ground just to see what if anything I see or feel.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
Sorry, but in the UK they DO build on cematarys as far as I know. They do not look after the gravestones so they crumble and you can no longer read the writing on them. In Belguim they take much better care of their graves and have a 'caretaker' I think this is much nicer.

I do wonder though if people do run out of space to live, not just for profit or greed, whethter a good way could be found to use ground if it did become neccassary. I belive if it was done out of compassion and with honour that those sleeping would indeed understand. They would want their grand children to have space to live. Certainly if it was me, as long as me old bones were honoured and not 'chucked around' I would not mind.

Digging up for science is tricky. I think if possible the living relatives should be contacted and asked how they feel and if they would allow it. I have a genetic disorder that very much interests doctors, and they have no cure at present. So if I had passed away and they needed to study my bones etc for one of the future of my generation, I hope I would not mind! As long as it was done with the right motives and I was not violated. I maybe dead then, but my body served me well, and I loved it, so I would want it to be respected.

Last edited by Eng Culture Nicola Jane; 04/10/08 06:24 AM.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Deena - Paranormal Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.