I certainly don't condone "digging" in known burial sites for scientific purposes. Most Native burial sites were not marked as such and are stumbled on during development. When that happens, I would prefer what can be documented and learned from the burial and remains be allowed.

Many years ago, skeletal remains were found near a river in the northwest. I don't remember the location. The authorities thought it was a "recent" death (last 100 years or so) until they found a paleo point stuck in his hip. There were several discrepancies about the remains. However, they were quickly claimed by the local tribe and interred after a cursory, at best, study. The scientists were frustrated by the lack of patience from the tribe, and the possible discoveries they were not allowed.

Unburied Native remains are "scattered" all over our country. There are thousands upon thousands at the Smithsonian alone. They have been pressed for years to release them for interment. Just this month, while visiting with my Tribal Chief, he mentioned one of his future projects is obtaining a piece of state land for the interment of Native remains from local museums and "other sources." When I questioned the phrase "other sources" his response included private basements and garages. These remains have never been studied! I wonder how many are actually Native.?

Our remains and artifacts have often been considered by some as novelties, with no respect whatsoever. So the question remains, How do we respectfully study remains when found? When do we know we have learned all we can possibly learn?

Twenty years ago we did not have the technology to determine through tooth enamel where a person lived for periods of time. Applying this recent technology to Native remains could provide information on tribal migrations, unknown trade routes, undiscovered tribal relations. The gaps in our history this type of study could fill might be numerous. What information could scientific study provide that was lost through attempted genocide and assimilation?

Personally, I feel my ancestors would want me to know.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia