Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Wow, Lisa, that is amazing. I have the same story. One day i was simply too big to just take it and looked like i was going to fight back. Right after that, groundings became punishment.

I admit the spankings were a lot easier than the groundings.

My DH says his step father used to beat him 10-25 times at a time with his belt. That is abuse in my book. He also got hit at school with paddles. Quite a bit.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
In many cultures children are treated as treasured, important parts of the family and are never hit. The children tend to thrive in this environment and behave well.

If you've put a child into a situation where you had to hit them, often it is because you expected an unreasonable decision from a child who was not yet ready to make that kind of decision.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Zebra
Zebra
Any form of violent physical contact designed or intended to subjugate or bend another person's will to your own - is abuse. Even a smack on the back of the hand.
period.
No more, no less.

I agree,Alexandra
Hitting a child or adult with a belt, or any other object is assault, and abuse

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I was belted by my father up till about 8 years and to this day I will go over to an adult hitting a child in public and stare at them till they stop, sometimes with tears in my eyes.

Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
If you've put a child into a situation where you had to hit them, often it is because you expected an unreasonable decision from a child who was not yet ready to make that kind of decision.

Like when people expect a baby to be toilet trained before they are ready. It's futile to punish a child for being unable to perform a task that they are simply too immature to master.

Last edited by msbaby; 03/31/08 06:22 PM.
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
It's not only abuse, it's not effective. Belts can seriously injure a child.

I was occasionally spanked as a child. My dh asked what I had done. I have NO idea -- told him my folks probably were having a bad day. He thought that was hilarious, even though I was serious. When he told my folks this (thinking they would find it funny, too) -- they nodded and said I was probably right.

Spanking, whipping, etc. tends to cause children to be sneakier, harbor resentment and so forth. There are MUCH better ways to discipline a child than hitting him or her.

I suspect that the more restrictive and controlling a parent is, the more "difficulties" they will have raising their child. Obviously, we can't give a very young child complete say over all aspects of their life -- but as they get older, they need to learn that they ARE to be in control of themselves, and if the parent is always telling them "to this or else!" -- they learn the wrong lessons. If the parents, instead, enlist their child as a partner, the child grows up feeling respected, and respectful.

Shark
Shark
I remember my mother saying "wait until your father gets home", but I don't remember my father ever hitting.

I also remember my mom pulling her arm back to hit my rear end once. I waited for the painful blow, wincing with fear, and got a little tap. When I asked her what happened she said she couldn't do it because she was too mad. She believed that abuse was when you hit in anger. I was about five when she explained this to me. So I learned two lessons. One, whatever I did made her really mad; I should never do it again. Two, anger should not be displayed physically. My mother promised to punish me when she calmed down.

Hitting with a belt means that time has elapsed from the action, so the anger had time to settle. Go pick your weapon that I will hit you with cruel and manipulative.

Any form of physical "punishment" is abuse. You can punish a child for wrong-doing by taking away privileges. I see no reason whatsoever to physically hurt a child to make your point.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
M
Shark
Shark
M
Hands/belts/hairbrushes/branches/spatula's/paddles/etc more than I can possible remember all were used as forms of punishment in our household. And to be honest I can't tell you what I did any single one of those times, I do however remember - in great detail the punishments themselves. Seems to be counteruntive to be left with the memory of the violence over the lesson.

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  ELS - Child Abuse Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.