Page 1 of 2 1 2
#392095 03/13/08 11:58 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi All,
Last weekend my husband and I were given a Red Lored Amazon Parrot. The people we got her from had a Cockatoo and her in a rather small trailer and wanted to decrease the noise. So we were able to get her and her 6 foot tall cage free just to give her a good home. My hubby has had birds before and I went online to gather as much info on the breed as I could find.

We bought her a new toy and 2 new perches which she seems to like. I also got her some nice, nutritious food. She already loves him, me not so much. laugh

That said, any advice you can give would be appreciated.

She has a few songs and whistles that she already knew and we would like to teach her more; and, of course, I would really love it if I could get her to like me more.

Thanks,

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Koala
Koala
M
Congratulaions on your new bird. What is her name? Do you know how old she is?

Amazons are amazing birds.

They generally adapt quite easily to new homes. If you do most of the feeding and treat giving for a few days, I'll bet that she becomes friends with you very quickly.

Mavis
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Her name was originally Opie, before anyone realized she was not male. But more recently I don't think anyone called her anything in particular. So we are going to call her Penny.

We don't know how old she is, we are at least the third owner and possibly more!

I hope she does come to like me but she has definitely chosen my hubby. She comes out of the cage onto his shoulder and "grooms" his hair and neck, gives him kisses and loves for him to rub her head. If I even get close she moves away and I got bit pretty hard (drew blood) the second day we had her by just holding my hand up about a foot in front of her. And, I do all the feeding and watering!

Oh well, I am resolved to be patient with her, and it is a hoot to see how sweet she is with David.

M
Koala
Koala
M
Patience is certainly important.
It is possible that there is something about you that reminds her of something - possibly mistreatment at one of her other homes. If you wear nailpolish - maybe a woman who wore the same shade of nailpolish mistreated her. Or if you wear a perfume, possibly it reminds her of something bad as well. Could also be the jewellery or your haircolour or clothing.

You may never find out what it is that she doesn't particularily like about you, but with tons of patience and possibly lots of time, she should come around.

I hope you will keep us informed.

Mavis
B
B
At times a female bird won't like female humans and a male bird won't like a male human - it has nothing to do with who feeds her, she has obviously chosen your husband as her 'mate'.
Try and spend quality time with her one on one when your husband isn't home.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I think you may be right, Bird Crazy. She seems to like my son better than me and even a family friend that is a guy can pet her, but she doesn't like any women at all. And of course, even the other guys that can approach her are not accepted the way she loves my husband. She is now comfortable on his shoulder and will "groom" his hair and give him kisses!

I do most of the feeding and giving her water, so she is more comfortable with me being close to her cage. So I'm happy with that progress.

She can be so funny, someone taught her to make the most hysterical kissing sound... a real big smooch! She also knows how to call the dog with three short kisses and then three short whistles. You should see the dog look around to see who is calling her! She laughs, she has a few short songs that she whistles, and of course, an amazing wolf whistle; I want to say "thanks" every time I hear it.LOL

C
C
i would suggest getting you husband to go do somehting for a few hours and once you bird feels lonely she will most likely want to be with anyone to get cuddles. my budgie does this alot.

[imageBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
Nice one!

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Cherish,
What a beautiful bird! Thank-you so much for sharing the photo.
I will definitely try giving her attention when my Hubby is out.

C
C
No problem. And i do this often as if you can see the foot closest to my body she has a missing toe. I try to get her to help her out so this would be a good idea

[imageBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Trailer for "Limbo" Starring Simon Baker
by Angie - 06/02/24 09:09 PM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 06/01/24 11:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 06/01/24 04:09 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 06/01/24 08:53 AM
Bandana Essentials
by Angie - 05/30/24 08:26 PM
French Open Tennis Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 05/30/24 01:20 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/29/24 05:24 PM
Outside the Box Sewing
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/25/24 12:37 PM
Fabric Flowers for Spring
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/15/24 10:40 PM
Review - Animated Illustrations by Jamie Bartlett
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/14/24 02:52 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.