Print Thread
#396321 03/21/08 09:07 AM
B
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
B
Hello:

I bought a beautiful gold Chai pendant online a few months ago - how many others wear Chai pendants?

I know Chai means "life" but it is also taken to mean "good luck" - isn't that true?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BillieCat #397022 03/22/08 10:09 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I believe it is looked upon as good luck because the two letters that spell Chai add up to 18. For this reason, the number 18 is seen as good luck.

My rabbi just recently shared something. He doesn't like to use the word "luck". He tries to use fortunate instead. For him, the word "luck" implies that it was coincidental and he believes the Hand of G-d is involved in everything.

I like four leaf clovers, rabbits feet and the chai symbol. My husband used to wear one. My oldest son just recently asked for one. I wear a necklace with my four children on it - that's all I wear now. But, I used to wear a star.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
B
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
B
My family has always said the same thing about "luck".

I have an assortment of Jewish stars; my aunt gave me my name spelled in Hebrew when she went to Israel - and also, a G-d's hand (Hamsa?).
I believe that the Hamsa is not a Jewish thing but it is something from the Middle East? I have seen it in Greek restaurants. What do you know about it?

There are also Shema pendants - I don't know about that, do you?

BillieCat #397823 03/24/08 06:37 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
A chamsa, I've heard, is like g- d's hand in yours.
I see them in many Jewish homes, often with a blessing for the home.
That's what ours has.

I also have a pendant with the Shema. It is inscribed on a m�bius strip.
it is the never ending circle - a symbol of eternity.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Shark
Shark
My daughter usually wears a very large star of David which belonged to her great grandmother. Recently, a boy in her school (from Egypt) has been giving her trouble. I noticed she is no longer wearing the larger star. She owns a few stars and a symbolic charm of the wall.

I used to wear a star or a mazuzah all the time until I went to work "out of the house". I felt it wasn't professional to wear a religious ornament to work. But every so often I feel like wearing something. I don't know if it's the charm's religious meaning or historical meaning, since most religious jewelry is filled with memories, but sometimes it just feels good to wear one of these charms.

I love mobius stip jewelry. The idea of a never ending circle with something important seems like a great idea.

The chamsa are so pretty-- I've seen them in a lot of homes also. I thought they fit into the more mystical part (Kabbalah?) of Judaism?

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Carol... How lovely for your daughter to be wearing something from her great grandmother. I'm sorry she's having trouble at school. I hope it passes and that she can be comfortable wearing whatever she wants again! The charm of the wall sounds very interesting.

Here's a quick read from Wiipedia about the Hamsa: (I think it's interesting that its presence is in several religions)

The Hamsa (Arabic: خمسة, Khamsa‎, literally "five", Hebrew: חמסה, Khamsa‎) is a symbol used in amulets, charms and jewelry to protect against the "evil eye." [1]

An alternative Islamic name for this charm is the Hand of Fatima or Eye of Fatima, in reference to Fatima Zahra, the daughter of Muhammed. An alternative Jewish name is the Hand of Miriam, in reference to Miriam, the sister of Moses and Aaron. It is a kind of "protecting hand" or "hand of God".

Some associate the significance of the five fingers to the five books of the Torah for Jews, the Five Pillars of Islam for Sunnis, or the five People of the Cloak for Shi'ites. This symbolism may have evolved at a later stage, in view of the fact that archaeological evidence suggests the hamsa predates both religions.

In recent years some activists for Middle East peace have chosen to wear the hamsa as a symbol of the similarities of origins and tradition between the Islamic and Jewish faiths. The fingers can point up or down.

Hamsas are popular as charms and decorations in Israel and are not considered to have any Islamic connection other than the Arabic name. Among Jews, fish are considered to be a symbol of good luck, so many hamsas are also decorated with fish images. Hamsas are incorporated in wall plaques, mobiles, keychains and necklaces. Sometimes they are inscribed with Hebrew prayers, such as the Sh'ma, the Birkat HaBayit (Blessing for the Home), or the Tefilat HaDerech (Traveler's Prayer).

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Shark
Shark
I didn't realize that fish were considered a good luck symbol. I see so many fish with WWJD in the middle that I never associated it with anything Jewish.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I was surprised when I first saw that too...

Have you seen the fish with "gefilte" on the inside? I've seen it on cars. smile

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Shark
Shark
no, I haven't seen it, but that's cute. I have seen the car mazuzahs though....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.