Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I save literally every bill and receipt, all year long, for tax reasons. I spend HOURS organizing them all into folders - credit card bills by date, all wine receipts together, all origami paper receipts together, you name it. It takes me a ton of time to keep all of these paper piles in my office sorted properly.

Then at the end of the year, I put them all into folders and move those into a drawer. Then they literally SIT there for 7 years after which I recycle or shred them.

I was looking at the piles of paper which literally cover pretty much every square inch of my office and thinking ...

WHY???

Shouldn't I just dump all 2007 items into a big "2007 file" and **IF** I get audited I can then pull them out and sort them? Why am I sorting them so laboriously now? It's not like I really go through them. I have everything in QuickBooks. I use the QuickBooks values for submitting for taxes. I would never go receipt by receipt through these things to verify the entries.

What do you do? Am I wasting hours of time here?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Koala
Koala
B
It sure seems like it to me - I watch NEAT and clean sweep on Discovery home and they declutter everything.

I use a five column pad with 50 sheets and these are the pages I have inside:

Money Log -

Store/date/amt/how paid/coupon,sale, savings/cash advance

When I come home from the store(s) I place the receipts on my computer table and then fill them out and if it is a rite aid receipt I go to their site and input the receipt or keep in a pile and do once or twice a week. I check the circular for walgreens to see if it is something to fill out for a rebate and if the receipt is for something I may return I place in another bin.

I just tossed out three large plastic bags of receipts from past several years and it was kind of scarey doing that, but I dont think I need to return anything. the major purchases I keep with the manual for the item and place that in an accordian file.

I went to rite aid today with a print out from my capital one rewards card since the refund did not show up today, went to post office to return to QVC the blood pressure kit I did not like and could not use the cuff for, and called vitacost.com to find out where my $27 refund thru paypal is for a package I refused and waiting on credit.

I also keep dr visits and Pharmacy receipts and those that I use for health items like asthma spray in another section to see if I have enough to do deductions for income tax. I just tossed most of those out from 2007 since there was not enough to do.

The other pages in my columnar pad are:

GAS -

Date/amt

RX -
name of med/ date/amt

check cashing fees (when I am lazy and not going to bank)

Date/Amt

INK - (I wanted to see how much more ink I am using now that we are homeschooling

Date/black/color/cost/store

Amazon is cheapest, but have to pay shipping and black is $3 less than color.

DR VISITS

Date/Dr/AMT

ACE LOANS

DAte/AMT/Fee

I used to also keep a notebook listing all the times I went to do recycling and place those amounts and add up for month and year and then do the same thing for the coin star and make note of how much I saved in nickels and pennies, minus the cost.

I used to love doing all these lists, but now with homeschooling it just seems to be so much work and no longer a fun thing. I use to do the same thing with refunds/rebates.

When I joined wish upon a hero last summer I kept a notebook of all the people I helped and their addresses and sent cards, etc and followed up, but the same people kept wanting help and never got out of their neediness and I got turned off.

The other day I had some money in paypal and did a search and could not find anyone who seemed to really be in dire need.

I send box tops to a group from cafemom for different schools each month and I am in about three different coupon trains.

maybe we should do a BellaOnline coupon train to share the coupons?

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Parakeet
Parakeet
Lisa, I'd suggest keeping your files "semi-sorted" as a compromise between your current,laborious receipt organizing method and just having a "2007 box." Have a file for each category, as you do now, but after an item is recorded in Quickbooks, just drop it in the appropriate category file. Stop organizing by date, and try to file as you go. It will cut your labor in half, at least. Besides, even if you are audited and for some reason don't have a chance to organize those files, the presence of the receipts is going to matter a lot more than if the auditor sees July before he sees January.

Invest in eight files boxes of whatever type you prefer. Put your old files in them, one year per box. Have a storage area outside of your office for them, or find a way to make them visually pleasing. (Stack 'em up and throw a tablecloth over them for instant extra desk space, if you choose!) At the end of '08, file your taxes and drop the year's files in a box. At whatever your annual purge time is for old files (spring for many people), shred the contents of the box that has passed the seven year line. The now-empty box is ready for '09.

You might even want to keep the current files in their box. At the end of the year, all you have do is put the lid on it! But unless you purge old files on or about New Year's Eve, you'd have to have a 9th box to do it this way (or live with file folder piles in the gap between the turn of the year and purge day). That might be more trouble than it's worth.

I hope this helps relieve your filing stress.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
For my old years, I am set - I have a file cabinet upstairs that holds them. So I don't have any problems storing the older years. Which I know is lucky! Lots of people don't have the room to store those old files.

Here we are in April 2008 and my "current year" box is still full of all 2007 stuff smile So I need to sit down and dump that out into the file cabinet, and start everything fresh with 2008 files. Right now all my 2008 receipts and statements are mixed together in one big bin smile

I should get the final tax files from my tax person shortly and when I do that will be my impetus to sit down, shred, and move things smile

Low Carb Forum
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I keep all my receipts in envelopes by store. But I'm saving them for returns/proof of purchase--not for tax purposes, so I'm not sure if that would work for you.

Heather DeGeorge
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I can use mine for returns and proof of purchase too - but by store would never work for me. I would have to remember which specific store I bought something from! My memory isn't that good. If I have a cholesterol tester I do know it was for the low carb site though.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Since I finally got a business checking account i worry less about the receipts. Everything i buy through that account is already stored and automatically recorded nicely by my online files at Well Fargo. So this is for 08 and I can just chuck all my reciepts into a file for 'work' and one for 'family'.

As fas as 07, it's all a big sodden mess that i have packaged up and ready to mail to my friend who i hired to do my 07 taxes. I am nervous about sending her this heap, but will be paying for her time. It needs to be done and the effort it would take for me would drive me to my cache of Atavan. For my mental health, it's not worth it.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Oh, and Lisa, i think maybe your system might be a tad too anal. I mean this in a friendly way. smile Save yourself the extra effort and if you do get audited you can pull out all the stops then. IMO.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I actually do end up using my files because if we have to return something, I know I can just dig through the small "low carb" folder and find it. Or if I need to re-order something it's easy to find the receipt that way. So it's come in very handy. All the USPS receipts get tossed into a USPS folder.

I have a LOT of receipts so it's really easy to put them into their main category as they go, and everything is right there and easy to find.

For banking etc records, those are all in my desk drawers now (hanging drawers). So I have a folder for each bank account for their statements, and then a folder for each credit card for their statements. Again, it's easy to toss things in when they come in and it makes it SO easy to track down something if I need to! Which I like smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I actually need some new advice. I am moving into my RV this spring. Any ideas for handling files in a space like that? I need to strip everything to the bare minimum and have things also be somehow handy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KellyJayne - Organization 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.