logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
X
xepa Offline OP
OP Offline
X
I have a large 4 stem phalaenopsis orchid that has 4 stems, it has just finished blooming and i'm not sure if i should be cutting back the stems or not...i've researched this but can't seem to get a straight answer...
any help would be great
thanks,
X

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
The answer is that "it depends!" If the stems (which are called inflorescences)are still green then cut them back to the second or third spot where there were flowers that dropped off. Some Phals will send out side shoots and rebloom for you this way. If the inflorescences are starting to turn yellow, then cut them back as close to the bottom as you can. Whenever you cut them back, dust on some plain cinnamon powder to prevent rot. This is also the time of year to start setting Phals in a cool environment to encourage them to bloom for next year. See the "Fall Tips" article.

Susan Taylor
BellaOnline Orchids Editor
Zebra
Zebra
I did as directed, on the phalenopsis I have at home. The first time I did this, the orchid produced a second beautiful, yet smaller spray of flowers. Then it sent up a second flower stalk, which also bloomed.
Once these had both finished, I repotted the orchid, as the roots had completely filled the plastic clear pot. However, unable to find a pot of a slightly larger size, I planted it in a tall cylindrical glass vase, with large, round brick-pebbles at the bottom, supporting the bark potting medium. The vase is about a foot deep, with the top 6" occupied by the orchid, the lower portion by these brick-spheres. very picturesque!
Anyway, both flower stems have now sprouted new shoots.
How long should the roots on these new shoots/plantlets be before I attempt to pot them on?
And the orchid base itself seems to be climbing out of the bark potting medium, and appears to have more roots exposed than in the vase - !! But it seems very happy, nonetheless!

Last edited by Alexandra; 06/18/07 12:22 PM.
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Sounds like you're doing everything right! You can cut off and plant your babies (keikis) when the roots have gotten to be about an inch and a half long.

Susan Taylor
BellaOnline Orchids Editor
S
S
I love orchids - they are definitely fool proof. I've had a cheap little orchid I bought at Home Depot on a whim...8 years ago that is like the little engine that could. I don't think it matters what you do - just personal preference. New green shoots seem to always come up from the base - if the old shoot is there and brown, or if it is cut off. That's my experience.

Celebrity Shopping & Style Guide
www.StarBoodle.com
H
H
Where on the Orchid should I dust it with cinnamon?

PAL Offline
You should dust the 'cut' with cinnamon powder. I also find that a small dab of triple anti-biotic ointment will also protect the cut from infection. You should always use a sterile instrument to make the cut and never use the same instrument to work on another orchid without sterlizing it first...don't want to cross contaminate..

Hope this helps,
AL

Al
B
B
after flowering i cut stems down now i have leaves not flower buds
what have i done wrong

B
B
what have i done wrong

Originally Posted By: brads
what have i done wrong

Hi Brad, What you have is the beginning of a baby orchid plant a ' 'Keiki' . These leaves will eventually grow roots and after they are about three inches long, you can remove the baby from the 'mother' plant and pot it up. You will have two identical plants. Be sure to label the plant the same as the mother. Congratulations.

Cheers,
BD laugh

OrchidTalk Orchid Forum - "Growing our Orchids Together"

Moderated by  Anu D - Orchids 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.