Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#396965 03/22/08 08:09 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I looked to see if we had a thread about the movie, but only saw the video game, so here we go....

Has anybody seen the trailer for the "Speed Racer" movie coming out in May?

Speed Racer trailer

It looks very cool - this is one that is goig to need to be seen at the theatre I think. DVD on my tv just isn't going to be the same.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
My 7-year-old son and I watched the trailer; right before that, I had shown him the opening of the original Speed Racer anime on YouTube.

My son's verdict: the Speed Racer anime looked cool. The live-action movie, to him, looked OK, but he preferred the look of the anime.

As a side note, I got a Speed Racer DVD for my birthday (which was yesterday). So I need to sit down and watch it, so I can write an overview article of Speed Racer, as well as a review of the DVD.

Lesley Aeschliman
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
It's been announced that Speed Racer will be the closing film of this year's Tribeca Film Festival. The festival will be taking place in various locations in New York City between April 23 and May 3.

There's also a Speed Racer contest coming up in connection with the live-action movie. On some of the Viacom networks (MTV, VH1, TV Land, and Comedy Central), a television ad will air between April 10 and April 18, which will direct viewers to a website to provide a mobile phone number. On April 18, all those who enter will receive a text message with a Speed Racer trivia question, and they will be given two minutes to submit an answer. Ten winners will be drawn from all of those who enter with the correct answer within the time limit, and flown to Los Angeles for the April 26 world premiere of the film. At the premiere, the ten winners will race remote-controlled cars based on those from the film. The grand prize will be an actual custom-built car inspired by the Mach 5(and is worth $100,000 US).

Lesley Aeschliman
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
My 5 yr old saw the TV trailer the other day, and was bouncing all over the place! (His other favorite movie is "Cars")

So we will definitely be going to see this one. I don't think I'll be allowed to sleep until we do!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
The final numbers for Speed Racer are in for its opening weekend, and it doesn't look very promising.

The film ultimately debuted at number two at the box office, grossing $20.2 million. It was also panned by many film critics.

Dan Fellman, president of Warner Bros. theatrical distribution, has been quoted as saying, "Unfortunately, it didn't perform to our expectations." Fellman added that Speed Racer would have a difficult time recouping its $120 million budget.

Lesley Aeschliman
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
It appears the final numbers were actually revised since I posted yesterday.

Speed Racer actually ended up coming in at number three at the box office over the weekend, and only grossed $18.6 million (instead of the $20 million quoted yesterday).

Lesley Aeschliman
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Speed Racer came in at number four at the box office this weekend, grossing $7.6 million. It has grossed $29.8 million during the two weeks it's been in theaters.

Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros.' executive vice president of distribution, said next weekend was "do or die" for the movie.

Lesley Aeschliman
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
We finally got to go see it today!

I took my 5 yr old son and 10 yr old daughter, and we all had a great time. The 5 yr old was ecstatic, LOL. grin

The special effects are grest, relly fun! They are the type of special effects that are meant to be special effects. It's supposed to look very cartoony - and it does. The racing scenes are amazing. The enitre audience was "Oh!ing" and "Whoa!ing" when stuff would happening.

I kept expecting a really weak story line ('cause that's all I'd been hearing) but was pleasantly surprised. True, it's not gonna win an Oscar for best screenplay, but it made sense and had the right amount of drama for what it was ment to be - a remake of a cartoon.

It reminded me of a mix of the original "Tron" and the first "Spy Kids" as far as special effects went.

Oh, and the inspector, actor Benno Furmann (should be an umlatt there, can't figure out how to do one on the forum), I have been in lust with ever since "The Order" with Heath Ledger. He's gorgeous, sexy, ice blue eyes, and then the killer accent - ahhhh! whistle

The one bad thought I did have about the movie was, we went to see it at the IMAX theatre, and I thought it was a very good thing my oldest son did not want to see it, because he has seizures triggered byh light strobes, and this one quite possibly could have set one off. I don't know that for sure, but just a "think about" for anyone with epilepsy thinking about seeing this. It might be better to wait and see it on DVD at home.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
The box office estimates for this week are in. Right now, Speed Racer looks like it will come in at #5, and gross 4 million this week.

Lesley Aeschliman
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
This week's box office estimated are in. As of right now, Speed Racer looks like it will come in at #8, grossing $2.1 million.

When I was in Target this weekend, I noticed that they have already cut prices on some of the Speed Racer merchandise on their shelves.

Lesley Aeschliman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.