#396805 03/22/08 01:42 PM
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
We've been talking a lot about drinking enough water to help keep your immune system strong. But before you chug any more water, you might want to make sure the container you are drinking from is safe. Many water bottles on the market, like soda containers, are made of hard plastic, called polyethylene terephthalate, or PET. The material is perfectly safe for single use but should not be reused because it degrades with use and the wrinkled surfaces can host germs. And here I've been reusing the same Smart water bottle for weeks. No more of that.

Other types of bottles need scrutiny too. Nalgene bottles are popular but some are made of polycarbonate. The FDA insists these bottles are safe but some scientists disagree, saying that studies show the polycarbonate can leach a potentially harmful synthetic hormone.

A safer bet for your Nalgene bottle is HDPE, high-density polyethylene, a softer, opaque plastic made from petroleum. There have no known problems reported with HDPE. Stainless steel bottles appear to be safe too.

I guess it's time to go shopping for a new water bottle.

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
Allergies and Colds Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I am definitely going for stainless steel and recycling / donating any other bottles in the house smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
B
Koala
Koala
B
any pictures to share of water bottles worth the purchase? Dr. Oz answered a question earlier in the season on drinking 8-10 glasses of water and they discovered no difference. They showed for Discovery health some test amongst women in groups to see the effects.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Was the study to test different types of bottles? I'd be interested in seeing the study.

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
Allergies and Colds Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Bonnie - I'm confused by your post - are you saying there's no difference between drinking 8oz a day and 10oz a day of water? Or something else?

Low Carb Forum
S
S
The best plastic bottles (and plastics in general) to use are the following:

#5PP (chugabbles by Rubbermaid is an example)
#2HDPE
#4LDPE

Hope this helps!

Barrie MacLauchlin
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
B
Koala
Koala
B
I know that during one of Dr. Oz's segments on Oprah they showed something they did for Discovery health and they did these tests to see if there was a health benefit to drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day and Dr. Oz said that nothing was proven.

I did a google search to find the story, but mostly I came across numerous board postings online from people who watched that asking about it too.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Zebra
Zebra
I think this is the link you're talking about, Bonnie, and what it didn't prove was if water makes a difference in what your skin looks like, but if you read the next page, he says water does have benefits, particularly losing weight.

Dr. Oz on Oprah about drinking water

Excerpted from Oprah.com: Although Dr. Oz says drinking water doesn't matter to the skin, it does have other benefits. "Water's great to lose weight. It satisfies your satiety center. You don't get the urge to eat quite as much," he says. "It's got lots of benefits that go beyond its ability to affect your skin, but you don't have to force fluids to get that benefit."

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Well definitely I think we all agree that humans need to drink water smile And also, that the average person only drinks water when they're "thirsty" which means they are already in a dehydrated state. It makes much more sense to drink regularly so you have water in you - not that you get so under-watered that you start getting "pain signals" to fix a problem, i.e. thirst.

Now, does a 500 pound person need as much water in them each day as a 50 pound person does? Probably not.

The way they came up with the 8-10 glass value is they took an "average sized person" into a sealed room and they measured how much water they peed, pooped and sweated out of them - on average - over the length of the day. So the thought is you need to maintain a balance. Which makes sense.

But if you exercise more - you should drink more! If you are a tiny person and lay on the couch all day, and were only 50 pounds, then probably you don't need 8 glasses to maintain your balance.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I also want to comment - on skin - that if you're dehydrated your skin definitely DOES suffer because it is moisture in your skin that has it perform its job properly. If your skin is dry and cracked, it lets in infections. That is why people moisturize their skin to have it be healthy (which then attracts other humans, because humans are drawn to healthy looking humans for having-healthy-baby reasons). So definitely it is in a human's best interest to be taking in enough water every day for their skin to get the moisture it needs to stay healthy. Is it exactly 8 glasses for every single person? Probably not. But if you get too little it *will* cause a problem, while if you get too much you just pee it out, so it's better to go over than under.

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sheree-Allergies 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.