logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
So I've been spinning on a spindle for a while now (6-8 months) on and off, as much as I can afford roving. (working on preping raw wool, but thats somehting else.) anyways, I've gotten pretty good, my threads are mostly pretty even, and fairly fine. I'm spinning on a top whorl wood spindle, I think its about 1.5 ounces? maybe its two. mostly, I'm using blue leicesteir mostly, though I was using corridale. I'm having a wonderful time, but I have this one problem. Even spinning a very fine yarn, I find that I can't spin a yarn or thread of any great length. I double-ply, but I can't make my singles much longer either, usually, I only lose about a yard or less at the end of plying. The longest yarn I've spun so far is about 23 yards. Its between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch thick. By the time I get to between 15 and 20 yards single, or double, the spindle is wobbling all over the place, and its full. I can barely find a bare place to use to continue it spinning.
Is my spindle just too small? I like spinning this light weight yarn, I don't want a much heavier spindle, though I'd also like to spin some thicker woolens. its about 7 inches long from the bottom of the whorl to the bottom, and the whorl is about two inches or so in diameter. I see people who've spun over 100 yards on their spindles, which blows my mind. Do have any suggustions for how to spin longer yarns/threads? Is there a way to connect them without knotting them in an ukky mess? I've been thinking about selling them on etsy, if I could only get this length issue fixed. Plus, it would be way better for my weaving that way. Thanks a million,
Flames Dancing

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Is your yarn 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch thick before or after you ply it? If your singles has this grist (diameter) then you are spinning your singles at 8 to 16 wraps per inch (wpi) which is actually quite bulky for singles. Plied it would be quite bulky coming in at 3 to perhaps 6 or 7 wpi which puts your plied yarn into the heavy worsted or bulky category and your singles falling int the double knit to bulky weight range. So....the reason you're not getting good yardage on your spindle is because you're spinning bulky yarns on a small spindle smile

I have a top whorl spindle which is very similar in size to yours and my singles are coming in at 56 wpi. My plied yarn, when I get so far, should come in at about 24 - 25 wpi.

Now, there is nothing wrong with the grist of yarn you are spinning if you like the yarn you're getting. But to get more yardage, you need a bigger spindle. The other option is to draft finer and make thinner yarns.

To make a join, you need to unspin a bit (use your fingers for this) from the ends of the 2 yarns you are joining and then finger spin them together.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.