Page 1 of 2 1 2
#394558 03/17/08 07:55 PM
Trish-D Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Do you have a pantheon of gods and goddesses from a certain culture that calls to you? Or do you even associate the names of gods and goddesses with your paganism?

The Norse gods seem to be calling strongly to me at this time, but I have a special relationship with the goddesses Brigid (Irish) and Hecate (Greek)? I personally don't believe this is static throughout our lifetime, though there may be patrons that we are connected with our entire lives.

What about you?

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Trish,
I also have an affinity towards Norse/Germanic Gods and Goddesses. Their strength is incredibly appealing. smile But I feel most drawn towards the Chinese pantheon, especially Kuan Yin.

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator
F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
I guess I tend to go more with Greek Goddesses (Gaia & Athena, particularly). I don't follow a specific pantheon though. The only male Gods that I really associate is the Horned God and the Green Man.

#394694 03/17/08 11:53 PM
Koala
Koala
ok I am going to open a can of worms or maybe Pandora's box....
what is the differents between Patrons and pantheon of gods and goddesses? laugh

Trish-D Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
A patron (or matron if you prefer) is a deity you feel specifically called to. Say you are a healer, so one of the goddesses associated with healing seems to be "the one" that calls to you as a guide for your life path. Sometimes, a patron will stay with us for a length of time and sometimes move on as we grow and change.

A pantheon is basically all the deities associated with a certain culture such as the Greek gods, Irish, Norse, Chinese, etc.

So, you may be attracted to a certain cultural pantheon of gods and have your patron be from that pantheon or from a completely different one.

I hope that made sense.:)

p.s. Here is a link to my article on patron gods if you are interested:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by TrishPaganEd; 03/18/08 08:22 AM.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Koala
Koala
So kind of like St Michael the Patron Staint of Soldars? is the Jesus? sorry not Catholic either.... but I can only work with what I got and it aint much!! lmao laugh

Trish-D Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Yes free, the Catholic patron saints are a great example. If Jesus is what calls to your spirit, then that is what is right for you. The Guardian Angel might even be the Christian equivalent to a Pagan patron. However, I'm not an expert on that subject. I think that many Christians believe that each person has their own Guardian Angel.

Many people don't bother with patrons or pantheons at all but still consider themselves Pagans. It's really up to the individual. Some people call it spirit, the Christ consciousness, God, Goddess, the All, etc.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Trish, actually many of the angels did start out as gods and goddesses. Gabriel was a Babylonian goddess, Raphael was in a pantheon on the Mediteranian (where his father was the god El),and Michael is Chaldean in origin too!

Angelic energy is very powerful. In fact, everytime they appear in the bible, the first words out of their mouths are "do not be afraid." I can totally see where they started out as desert gods and goddesses.

But changing what we call them does not change what they are smile The angels have been tamed down over the years, just as the faery have LOL. It's much nicer to believe that they are cute little cherubs rather than great beings surrounded by fire, thunder and lightening.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Trish-D Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Deanna,

It's fascinating how we have "watered" down these powerful beings isn't it? I didn't know the origins you mentioned. Thank you for sharing.

I'm interested in ceremonial magick which works with angelic energy. Some Pagans blast it as being "too Christian" because it works with angels. I've always believed the angels to be much older than Judeo-Christian theology, so I never saw the contradiction in Pagans working with that energy.

Last edited by TrishPaganEd; 03/18/08 01:41 PM.

Trish Deneen
PatriciaJoy.com
Koala
Koala
mmm... that is interesting! the bible does say something about the Sons of God came down and made wivies of the Daughters of man. ok so that if poorly phrased but... you get the jest. lol

I am not surprise at all because there is a overlapping and connectiveness to all religions, myth and folklore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.