Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
"I'm not fond of rhymed poetry unless it's tremendously effective and suited to the content"

So then you will be satisfied with non-rhyming poetry that is not especially effective? Interesting. Discriminating and non-discriminating at the same time.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
Originally Posted By: FrankJBN
"I'm not fond of rhymed poetry unless it's tremendously effective and suited to the content"

So then you will be satisfied with non-rhyming poetry that is not especially effective? Interesting. Discriminating and non-discriminating at the same time.

Har! A clever twisting of my words, but Lo I am not so easily pegged as that!

On the whole, I don't care for rhymed meter. It's an distraction from the start. When it's effectively suited to the content, or done exceedingly well, then it's an exception to my own rule.

Non-rhyming poetry that is well-metered is a personal preference. Of course if the poem itself is a simpering pile of doggerel, then that's another post entirely.

Quality precluding form, in every event.

cool

Lisbeth Cheever

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
"On the whole, I don't care for rhymed meter. It's an distraction from the start"

That's a shame.

Did you develop this dislike as an adult or were you able to enjoy rhymes as a child?

How about songs? Do you find songs to be less distracting than intended because of the inherent distraction (to you) of their form?

I'm looking around and paradoxically hope to find my poor defense of rhyming poetry presented as rhyming poetry.

L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
Obviously each has their own preference - but in the end, it's how the work stands on its own that matters most.

Nursery rhymes are wonderful and a good example of something that lends itself well to rhyming. Songs are a completely different animal but somewhere else where rhyme has a place - greeting cards also come to mind. I note that none of these necessarily make exceptional poems.

In any event, movements of poetry depend greatly on inspired change so who knows? Someone may come along and reinvent rhyme in such a way that makes it exciting and inspirational, even to me.

Perhaps that will be you.

wink

Lisbeth Cheever

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Karena - Poetry Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.