Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
E
I love its old buildings, and the shopping! I love the prestige and honour of the Emabassies and St. James, and names like Pall Mall.

What do you think of and love, when you think of London?

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
My absolute favorite site in London is the bridge. I have a framed picture in my home that I took.

Gecko
Gecko
Shopping at Harrods! I also enjoyed going to the "Old Bailey" and watching a criminal trial.

Sharon Michaels
�Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.�

Abundance and Wealth Editor and
Self Development Editor

The Abundance and Wealth Site
The Most Recent Abundance and Wealth Featured Article

Sharon's Power To Succeed Blog

Gecko
Gecko
I think I'd love anything about London!

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
I also love EVERYTHING about London.

E
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
E
I also love the skyline of London, especially at night. It is so beautiful and exciting.

The chinese quater is one of my fav visits too, as is The markets. Soho is good, for the market.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

C
Zebra
Zebra
C
I haven't been there yet, but I'm sure I would love the people!

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
Gecko
Gecko
One of my dreams for many, many years has been to live in London and possibly have my own little cottage out in the country. Then I learned that living in London is uber expensive and my bubble was burst lol But who knows! Maybe someday you all will receive an invitation to one of my candle light suppers at my country cottage. wink

Heather J. Hasan
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I will sure come to your candle light supper, Heather. I also have had a life long dream of living in a country cottage in England. Save a place for me!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Gecko
Gecko
Sure, Phyllis! Just get ready for my housekeeping. It is below par =P lol

Heather J. Hasan
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I loved London but it is indeed VERY expensive. When we landed and handed over $100 (American) and received 50 pounds we knew we were in trouble! The good thing is we stayed with a friend so we didn't have to rent a hotel or eat out a lot but it was still pricey.

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Lol London can be great - and it can be awful. I've lived in it for 20 years so I should know.

Once you've lived in London for more than two years you're a Londoner.

Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Allison_PCAdvice
I loved London but it is indeed VERY expensive. When we landed and handed over $100 (American) and received 50 pounds we knew we were in trouble! The good thing is we stayed with a friend so we didn't have to rent a hotel or eat out a lot but it was still pricey.

You are lucky, Allison! It is great that you had a friend to stay with. When did you visit London? Any pics?

Heather J. Hasan
E
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
E
Yep, it is expensive. Unfortuanatly the Dollor is often quite a lot less worth than pound sterling. Hopefully it wil improve. But London is very expensive anyway. It is worth looking around for hotels etc, before you come.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
What do I love about London? Just being there.... I've only been to England 3 times. It's a major trip for us Aussies and very costly. We see the English shows and news and the royal family (since we're still part of the Commonwealth) and other celebreties are all over our magazines and newspapers. So England still very much features in our psyche.

To get to London... imagine a 50+ year old woman with a smile breaking her face in two, jumping up and down stamping on the ground, pinching herself to make sure she really is on the soil of England.

We always stay at Thistle Victoria (Victoria Station) and then we can get anywhere either by walking, bus or train very easily. We just love to walk to the Thames, the eye and houses of parliament and Buckingham Palace. We've even walked from there to Oxford Street, Leicester Square, the British Museum and Library. It's even exciting to take a double decker red bus... but we prefer the really old ones to the new ones (but that's a tourist for you!)

I'm scared of heights but nothing was going to stop me from going on the eye for those fabulous views. The first time we were there after the eye opened it was closed the week we were there fore maintainance. We made sure we went on it last time.

Last edited by Felicity Deafness; 03/17/08 03:31 PM.

Felicity
Deafness
My son went there last summer for a 2 week vacation, the pictures he took are so beautiful. he had such a great time. he said there is so much to see and do,

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Oh you are right. There is just so much to see and do in London. We lived in Sydney for a year and every weekend we went sightseeing. We got around to most places. We reckon to see all of London in the same way we'd have to live there for 10 years.

Felicity
Deafness
Shark
Shark
I loved the British Museum and Westminster Abbey. I loved the English accents. I loved the horse crossing signs near Buckingham Palace.

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Heather - Chinese Culture
You are lucky, Allison! It is great that you had a friend to stay with. When did you visit London? Any pics?

We went (myself and my fiance) almost four years ago as part of a whirlwind trip - in two weeks we visited France, Belgium, Holland and England! I was tired when we got home!

I have some great photos of London and areas outside of London. I will post some links tomorrow.

Elephant
Elephant
i love the architecture, the museums, the art, the city life and seeming free wheeling society where you can have jet black spikey hair with hot pink bangs

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
E
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
E
Yes Jase, there is loads of veriety. Its contempary and full of vibe.

Last edited by Eng Culture Nicola Jane; 03/18/08 04:07 PM.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

T
Gecko
Gecko
T
I had been to London twice for the weekend - sightseeing trips with friends or students. I had seen the major sights, twice, and didn't need to see them again. This last time I went solo - and had a great time! I can't wait to go again. What will I do on my next trip? More specialty book stores, go back to Covent Garden and the Borough Street Market, then find some new nooks and crannies to explore.

So my favourite thing about London is... there is so much more to see and experience!

Last edited by Tracie - German Culture; 03/25/08 03:52 PM.
L
Parakeet
Parakeet
L
I have studied English history and literature so a walk through London is seeing it all come to life.

I remember standing in front of Westminister Abbey and the House of Parliament with Big Ben and I was just in awe.

Of course shopping at Harrods and Portobello road was wonderful. Regent Street was amazing, I loved the HUGE Laura Ashely they had.

The museums, the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
What I love most about London is the River Thames, and all the walks along it - for young And old! Everyone can enjoy it - moms with buggies, old gentlemen with walking sticks and even crazy students with skateboards or 'free running' and jumping down flights of steps or walls along the South Bank. I have some pictures of it:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

S
Shark
Shark
S
The Underground, shops, pubs, tea shops, Big Ben.....

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
London Walking Tours to take in all Londons history = there is a special Halloween walk on Oct 31st all about executions,witchcraft,Jack the Ripper and gaols etc. It leaves at 9.45 pm..... spooky fun!

E
E
London is really cosmopolitan and amazing. I love the views of the river and the walks along it, the old buildings, the museums and galleries, and the shopping.

Emilia
gemstones
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I live in London and the thing I like best is to look at the wonderful architecture when I'm on the top deck of a bus. Riding the buses is how you really get to see London!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A London walk is one thing we always plan into our London itinerary. There are lots of walks starting from Trafalgar Square and we plan to choose one over the Halloween break - Trafalgar Square is one of the places we like most in London (we wrote all about it on our photo journal on Squidoo) it's great for photos too, and has a lot of interesting history. A nice hotel near Trafalgar Square is the Radisson - it even has a nice name, the Radisson Edwardian!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Be sure to visit London at Christmas for some fun. One of the things England/London does best is a traditional Christmas!

You really can get chestnuts roasted round an open fire (well, brazier anyway) in traditional Victorian settings such as Covent Garden. Also, Harrods Kensington and Hamley's Toy Shop Regent's Street all lit up for Christmas are a sight to behold.

The Salvation Army brass band playing all the traditional old carols, and Christmas fun festivities in Trafalgar Square - all not to be missed for those who love London vacations!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A London Christmas in Trafalgar Square with the loghting up of the tree and the switching on of the lights for Christmas Shopping! Switch on on Thursday!

For anyone who's interested in the area, we kept a travelog about our fun week in Trafalgar Square:

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
London Christmas Lights Switch On is on December 4th this year by the way. It takes place every year in Trafalgar Square - centre piece is a 50ft Christmas Tree from Norway (they have given one every year since 1947 to thank Brits for helping them during the war!)

The Christmas Tree is covered in a myriad of little white lights, there must be hundreds of them but I think they are the most environmentally-friendly ones.

More on my London website below - oh and i just added discount family tickets for Wicked (the show at the Apollo!)

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Woolworths Pick n Mix - except now theyre going bust!
So sad - rumour has it that it will be taken over by Food Supermarkets!

London High Streets will never look the same again!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I love the orgainised public events such as the New Year's Eve fireworks - always fun in London - everyone goes off to do their own thing afterwards whether that's a movie with the kids in Leicester Square or just partying!

Since 2003, London has celebrated like this, entertaining crowds on the Thames. After Big Ben chimes at midnight, a fantastic fireworks display is launched from the London Eye, courtesy Mayor of London and Berthonneau pyrotechnics.

It's great - but because of that there are large crowds, so you need to plan (New years Eve venues are often ticket only.)

The fireworks viewing places have a limit of 180,000 people.

More details and tips on Central London on my London lens:

www.squidoo.com/londonfun4less

Happy New Year London Traveller Fans!

Last edited by BellaShorts; 12/28/08 08:07 AM.

Gecko
Gecko
We have fireworks every year here too in my town for New Years. I like to watch from my balcony. smile A great way to start off the New year. Bang!!!! laugh

What I really enjoy the most is watching the ball drop in Times Square at midnight.

Last edited by rdywenur; 12/28/08 09:20 AM.
Amoeba
Amoeba
Camden Market - great clothes, sixties nick-nacks, and twenty thousand colourful outfits on parade. Big shame about the fire there - does anyone know how much of it is still trading?

Marianne Gibson
Russian Culture
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
The one I heard about was only a small one, but it Was in a favorite little Camden London clothes shop! Shame!

We wrote about the fun time we had in Camden Market- and the rest of London in our London Diary

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Great fun activities at London Museum for kids this holiday.

History workshops - the Tudor kitchen, early medicine, costume etc - looks fun.

More ideas on my London site:

Parakeet
Parakeet
I enjoyed the British Museum.

I get a warm glow reading what you like about my town. Sadly, living here I have a jaundiced view. The congestion charge means that it costs 8 pounds to drive in and parking is over 4 pounds per hour. Traffic wardens will give you a parking ticket at the drop of a hat. CCTV watch your every move, they even use them to give you a parking ticket and they have cars driving about with cameras on the roof that give out tickets too. If you have rented a car, expect it to be charged to your credit card. Then there are the speed cameras, and now they have average speed cameras. Being in the American continent you may just get away with it, but don't bank on it. I am sure that you are model citizens but just in case you lapse, we have people who will issue on the spot fines for littering. If you are thinking of taking pictures, make sure you are in a group of tourists as individuals are often stopped from taking pictures under the prevention of terrorism act. Personally I cannot wait to get out of here.

J
Shark
Shark
J
I disagree, I love London. I've just returned from Siagon which is hell on earth. In comparison, London is ordered, calm, green, beautiful, interesting and quiet. I enjoy visiting other places but I don't want to live anywhere else. It's easy to avoid the congestion charge - don't drive, the buses are really good and very cheap. I've lived all over the world and I like living in London best.

Joanna Czechowska
British Television Editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I love the heritage of London, like the Westminster Abbey Tours. now it's the home of William and Kate's wedding venue! Is anyone nipping doen there for a preview? If so, here's some royal wedding venue tips...
Westminster Abbey Tours-Visit William And Kate's Wedding Venue

Being a Londoner by birth I love it and hate it. London is a truly cosmopolitan city and you will meet people from all walks of life and ethnic background who study, live or work there, Its architecture and hussle and bussle amaze me every time I go back. I love Covent Garden, a must visit place with its own life. I can quite happily sit in a cafe or bar and watch the world go by when I am there. I love the shows and the markets, heck there is so much I love. I hate the prices and the lack of parking and the fact it is so big you need a few days to take a lot in. When I was a teen I ran away and spent a lot of time on the streets, it's easy to hide there.

Last edited by Jeanne Egbosiuba Ukwendu; 03/10/11 12:16 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Abigail your last sentence made me look up your website - brilliant title for a book and so true - what people see in others on the outside so often does not reflect what is going on inside. I have too much I am reading now to get to it, but have put Invisible Tears on my list for books I want to read.

Asha Sahni
Dreams Editor

S
SKYELAW
Unregistered
SKYELAW
Unregistered
S
ive only been to london once in 1969 and got lost loads of times, theres plenty to do and nice places to go and visit. yes the price of food and drink is too high, so is renting a place, it seems as though they try to put 36 hours into a day, everyone rushing around here and there, its a nightmare to drive through. i found the london people very friendly and helpful, the night entertainment is very good and we have followed suit up here in newcastle upon tyne and its great for a night out here as well.

Gecko
Gecko
I have never been to London, but will go someday. However, I love the BBC - it "brings" me to London without the expense and airplane trip.

Robin Rounds Whittemore
Card Games Editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I love London when I am not living there. I love going back to visit but it is a depressing place to live. Too busy, too many people and too much traffic.

I loved Oxford Street, Regent Street, Soho and Leicester Square. I love Portobello Market and Covent Garden and Camden Town.

The river Thames is dirty and I would not like to fall in it, but a boat trip on its sappy waters to Kew Gardens is worth every penny.

I love the history and the architecture. I love the green open spaces.

I'm a West End girl.

I love London because it is London.

Linda Heywood

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Sarah - English Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.