Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
K
Cue the end credits for New Line Cinema.

The little production company that could has merged with Warner Brothers after a devastating string of flops including, �The Last Mimzy�, �Rendition� and �The Number 23�. Time Warner Inc.�s new Chief Executive, Jeffrey Bewkes made his first move to stop the money from hemorrhaging further and announced that New Line would be consolidated immediately.

The largest failure came this past December with �The Golden Compass� which lost the company somewhere in the range of $110 million dollars. The movie had actually performed well overseas, but New Line had sold off the foreign rights to offset their high budget � a practice that Warner says they will not abide by.

"International revenues are becoming more important and it doesn't make sense to give up foreign rights, where a lot of the upside is," Bewkes said.

The planned adaptation of �The Hobbit� will be co-executive produced by Peter Jackson with MGM co-financing and releasing the project internationally.

New Line is still in the midst of a legal battle with the Tolkein trust which is suing the studio for cheating it out at least $150 million dollars.

Kirsten Olsen-Keyser
SF/Fantasy Movies
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Well at least the Hobbit will still have Peter Jackson involved, I don't care who pays for it!! smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
K
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
K
How true,

it's just disappointing to think that one very bad movie (Golden Compass) ruined such a successful production studio especially when you consider they made close to $3 billion with the LOTR franchise.

It also begs the question, "Will the rest of His Dark Materials" be made into films?". I can tell you that if Jackson had been handed that project from the start, we wouldn't be having this conversation!

Kirsten Olsen-Keyser
SF/Fantasy Movies
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Well it really does ask how they were running their finances if just one movie like that could take them down completely. Where did all of that other money go?

But again, it's hard to second guess how people spend money. At least the Hobbit is being saved and Peter Jackson is still involved - and apparently most of the cast wants to come back too!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Crud! I had not heard this. I hope we still get two movies out of the hobbit as planned. And Ian Mckellan. If they are going to do it, i can only hope they do it right, with WETA and New Zealand and all the same dedicated artists.

Do you think Ian Holm is too old to do a younger Bilbo?

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Also, I would hope they go back to the "shire" they created in LOTR. It was bloody perfect. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Unfortunately they had to completely "undo" the Shire as part of their agreement to use the land. And the first time around, they literally let the Shire "grow" for a full year before using it - so it would look lived in. So those were real plantings and such growing around the houses. They'd have to have another full year preparation to get it to do that again.

But with the originals making 3 billion or whatever, I'm sure that even though it has "new owners" that the studios will gladly pour money into this project, knowing how much they can recoup it ...

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Pour it in, is all i can say. do it right! bring back that lovely Shire that made me cry when i saw it in FOTR. it means too much to so many people. At least that is my POV as a die hard Middle Earth Lover. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Here's an article that says it'll be two movies and filming begins next year -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Low Carb Forum
Tiger
Tiger
Ok, I quite enjoyed the Golden Compass. Does this mean the other two in the series won't be released?

Elephant
Elephant
i haven't seen the golden compass yet. I hope they make all three. I enjoyed the books and would love to see that magic on the screen

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
K
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
K
Those of us that read the Pullman books were VERY disappointed in the movie. I did write a review for it the day it came out which is hereBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Kirsten Olsen-Keyser
SF/Fantasy Movies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gillian ClassicalMusic 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.