Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
About yoga clothes....the operative word in the original post was "stylish". That word is not in my vocabulary. "comfortable" is my key word! Depending on the season I wear sweat pants, lightweight pants or shorts with long-or-shortsleeve knit shirt. The clothes musn't bind or slide around when you stretch and twist.
Phyllis, your age has little to do with your approach to yoga, your current degree of agility does. If you have trouble getting up and down, take it easy. Get down slowly as best you can and then do floor poses and stretches slowly. The point is to reach your limit but not go beyond that into pain. Little by little your limit will move further and further. When it is time to get up again, roll over onto your side and slowly push yourself up into a sit. If you need to hang onto something to get all the way up, make sure there is a chair nearby. Be faithful in practising at least 5 times a week and you will see your strength and agility improve.
And always enjoy!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Phyllis - I don't think you need special clothes smile But it depends on what you count as "special". If for example all you own is skirts and blouses, it would probably be hard for you to do yoga.

So if you own sweats or shorts, and a loose top, then you don't need special clothes. But if you don't own any casual clothes, then you'd need some "special clothes" to do this in smile

Yoga definitely starts easy - the DVD I has starts with VERY basic shapes, like just laying on the mat. But I looked on Amazon and they even have DVDs for yoga for seniors -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
I've heard yoga teachers say "You're only as young as your spine is flexible."

I think yoga is great for seniors. Definitely start out really slow, and use only beginning or senior lessons. I don't know if this is completely accurate, but to me yoga feels like a huge amount of it is just stretching out and limbering up your muscles. It feels wonderful. (I'm addicted to it!)

flyingaway #392795 03/14/08 12:27 PM
Thanks, Lisa. Then I think I will just wear my jersey's. I am really looking forward to getting started on yoga and maybe eventually joining a class with people my age.

Last edited by Phyllis NatAmEd; 03/14/08 12:28 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Phyllis - try going to your local library and seeing what they have. Maybe they have a yoga DVD or two for you to try out if you don't want to buy one yet. That way you can learn some of the basic steps and get started. I'm sure if you have something comfy to wear that it will be fine. Just a t-shirt and sweats if you have those will be fine.

I think usually people do this barefoot but my feet get cold really easily so I do it in socks. I'm not doing any positions yet where my feet might slip, so it doesn't matter in that sense. My positions are all laying down smile

Low Carb Forum
Elephant
Elephant
I throw on the most comfortable and moveable clothes I can ;0)

You will not catch me in those cute yoga clothes LOL

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Lady J #392971 03/14/08 06:26 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I think at some point if I manage to get into more advanced positions where my top half is pointing downwards that I might worry about "close fitting tops" so my tshirt doesn't flop up to my shoulders smile But other than that I think I'll just wear my normal casual clothes and be happy with that smile I already considered it a splurge to buy my purple mat smile

I can't believe some of the prices they want on those websites. $50+ for a pair of casual pants??

Low Carb Forum
Koala
Koala
I like the pants I got at walmart they are danskin? something like that anyways they are the best! I have never liked pants that dont have a zipper and button because they dont stay where I want them to. like sweat pants will twist or ride down or up and it is just a fight all day to keep them wear I want them. These are tight fitting but they arent skin tight wear they show every roll and camel toe... they also move with you and they dont pinch or rub like a draw string does! I wear them every day to work with a large tshirt or blouse. I can dress them up or dress them down! oh and I paid like $10 a pair. I got a top made out of the same stuff and it was $15 I like it but It is not long enough for me to wear with the pants because it doesnt cover my rolls.... frown so $25 for a top and pants is a great bargen!

freespirit #393004 03/14/08 07:37 PM
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
You know I had never even heard about "camel toe" until recently when the Weatherman came on TV. Was that really a phrase before then or did they invent it??

I'll have to take a look in Walmart the next time I'm there! I tend to like loose clothes, I think it's the shyness in me. I'm lucky, sweats tend to stay put when I wear them but then again I'm usually not very active smile

Low Carb Forum
Koala
Koala
lol my problem is that I wear cotten panties so the sweats will cling to my panties and walk the opposite way I do or at lest that is the way it feels!!

Camel Toe is a real phrase that has been around for years at lest here anyways I didnt know how to phrase that politly so...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.