Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#392848 03/14/08 02:26 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This is from research I did for the Da Vinci Code religion - it's about how we have altered the name of God and Jesus over the years.

In The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown says that YHWH in the Bible stands for "Jehovah" which comes from Jah for male and Havah for female. As this four letter word is a core part of many religious beliefs, this would be an important issue to get correct.

First, a note on the Hebrew language. There were originally 22 letters in Hebrew - 18 consonants and 4 vowel/consonants (like our modern day "Y"). The four special letters were aleph א, hey ה, vav ו, and yud י. Usually writings used no vowels, because people just knew what they would be. Sort of like writing "fr scr nd svn yrs g" instead of "four score and seven years ago". It's a shorthand that the Hebrews simply learned and understood.

So in the Hebrew language, the word for God's name was written as YHWH - יהוה. Interestingly this only involves "consonant/vowel" special letters. Note that the word FOR God in Hebrew is "elohiym". Legend has it that Moses was actually told the full name of God (with the vowels), wrote this down as proper Hebrew syntax for a word (leaving out those vowels), and that it was decided that nobody going forward should actually speak God's name. So when people saw YHWH in their Bible, they would say the word "Lord" in whatever language they were speaking. That four letter combination YHWH is called the "tetragrammaton". YHWH was said to have been chosen (by God) because it was similar to "HYH" which means "to become". This was combined with "HWH' meaning "he is".

Jehovah is a RECENT word from the 1534 by Martin Luther as the "speakable" version of YHWH smile Translators hit the Jewish combination YHWH and weren't sure what it translated as. So they stuck in the vowels from the Hebrew word for Lord (adonai). Combining IHVH (another form of YHWH) with AOAI creates IAHOVAHI and the IA becomes IE out of tradition. So we've got IEHOVAHI.

The first version of the Bible in English was done by Tyndale in 1525, and God's name was shown as IEHOUAH. Other Bibles of the time put the words "THE LORD" in small capitals in this spot, to point out to people that the name should not be spoken. Those who understood the tradition of "not saying God's real name" kept saying Lord when they hit the word "Iehouah", as they should have. Remember, before this point, there were no real printing presses so only the most educated of people would have their own hand-done Bible. These people knew well how to say or not say certain words, from their training. But the many people who now got a Bible without that background information would say Jehovah when they saw it printed in their Bible.

Interestingly, Jehovah's Witnesses claim that the name was *always* pronounced as Jehovah and that the above sequence of events was guided by God so we would pronounce it this way now.

---------

Just to go off on a further tangent, as I tend to do, Jesus's full original name in Hebrew was Yehoshuah. This was Yeshua for short. The New Testament was written in Greek (not Hebrew) so they made that Iesu. The Greek language doesn't have any Y or "SH" letters, like Hebrew does. Also, Greeks add the letter S to the end of names so the name was now Iesus. Now when we get to Europe, the Europeans were translating this name, the Germans used a J because the J was pronounced as an I (sort of like in English how we use C and K in various words). So the name was written Jesus but was pronounced "Iesus" (like "yaesoos"). Then this was brought into English and the translators didn't know about the I/J issue and left the J, but the English people now pronounced it "Jesus" as in "geezus". So we are FAR from pronouncing Jesus' name the way it should be. If Jesus came back to earth and said "I am Yeshua" nobody would understand what he meant. It's pretty sad, really.

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 03/14/08 02:30 PM.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Great! Thanks, Lisa, for this information. This is a good start for me in learning about the earliest languages/writings of the bible. I remember, now that you mentioned it, that Tyndale did the first English version of the bible and that he was hounded the rest of his life and finally burned at the stake for his writings which the priests forbid and branded as blasphemy. Interesting! I am really going to delve deeper into this.

I am not wavering in my beliefs, I just like to know about the early history of lots of things, including religions. My religion is a mix of Christianity and Native American beliefs, which are very similar.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
Thank you for the post, Lisa. Very interesting topic . . .

Can you tell me a few books or resources you used for some of the information you know? I would love to read more, as I love religious history and am always looking to expand my knowledge.

Thanks!

Karin Norgard
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Karin - the Bible is probably the most written about book on the face of the planet smile So rather than having me tell you specific books, and then you having to buy them, the easiest thing to do is go to your local library and look in their Bible research area. I bet they have 20 or more books there. Whatever books they have, it's unlikely they are wrong, and it's very likely they have all this information because this is pretty "core content" for Bible research.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Phyllis - yes it was a HUGE change when "the masses" could see the word for themselves. Before printing presses, masses were in Latin and Priests considered themselves the gatekeepers of knowledge and power. The masses couldn't know "for themselves" what was good or bad. Only the priests, with their education and training and knowledge, could translate the rules for them.

In a way, this is *almost* reasonable. People back then were not educated in worldly matters usually. They couldn't read. They didn't have the background to know where the rules were "coming from". So it could be conceivable that they could misinterpret a rule if they just picked up a Bible and randomly saw a passage (and could read it). So in that sense the priests almost had it right, that they were being "good teachers" by translating and explaining Bible passages to their flock. But as you might imagine, it also meant if your local priest did a poor job he could really alter what an entire population felt was "God's Will" ... and they would have no way of knowing he was wrong.

Low Carb Forum
Lisa, I knew that the priests omitted a lot from the original writings of the Bible. As to your statement about if there were a priest who did a poor job - wouldn't it be something if people even today believed a certain way due to an error or mis-interpretation of one careless priest? I would love to have a Tyndale bible - I wonder if they are available? I also wonder about the "Dead Sea Scrolls" and what they have to tell us?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Koala
Koala
I have tried to make since of the Dead Sea Scrolls but it will take someone smarter then me to make any since out of them! As far as I can tell they are bits and pieces of writing and some of them arent even complete thoughts or sentences! It just gave me a headache!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
There have been many jokes over the years about mis-translations of the bible - making the monks vow of "chastity" once a vow of "charity" that was mistranslated smile

That being said, it is actually very impressive how accurately the Bibles have been translated and copied and recopied over the years - how well they reflect older versions that have been found. Remember, it's not old drunken priests in small towns who did the translations or copying. It was monks in monasteries who dedicated their lives to preserving the word of God. Did you ever see The Name of the Rose? It's a great movie and talks about some of that.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are published, you can read them yourself. I have a copy of the book smile

You can also get a copy of the actual words of Tyndale and see for yourself what the very first English version was like from 1526 -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Low Carb Forum
P
P
The Geneva Bible, was the bible most used before the King James Version was printed. It is actually the bible the Pilgrims brought over with them when they came. King James had the bible rewritten to one, make it more understandable, but more importantly to take out some of the political information. He did not like the standards apparently, that God had in mind for leaders, kings,and or judges. I am saving my pennies to get myself a Geneva Bible.You can find them in Amazon.com
Tammy

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tammy - welcome! It's great to have you smile

Maybe can you read a copy at your local library? Or do you mean you want to actually have one to own?

It is definitely interesting to read and understand the different versions of this important book ...

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.