logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
So difficult to know where to post this! frown
I would like to introduce you to a forgotten pilgrim. Or at least, there are many who would prefer he remain forgotten!
Not exactly a household name, Priscillian, one time Bishop of Avila in Spain, was executed by the newly established Roman church on charges of �Witchcraft and Heresy�, in 386CE. Along with him died several of his closest supporters, including a woman, Euchrotia. They were the first victims of the �inquisition� many centuries before the term �Spanish� had been attached to it.
So who was Priscillian, and was he guilty?
This is the subject of my newly published novel entitled Pilgrimage to Heresy: Don�t Believe Everything They Tell You.
Last year more than half a million pilgrims walked the Camino de Santiago in northern Spain. Some come for religious purposes, as have many thousands before them since the Middle Ages; however, many more walk for their own reasons: some to discover Spanish culture and customs, some to find their own way to personal spirituality. Many walk to find their reasons for walking. But few question whether the remains in the silver casket in the cathedral are actually those of St. James.
And perhaps, it doesn�t matter.
But what if they are not? What if one of the last few pilgrimages in the western world are to the remains of a heretic?
Pilgrimage to Heresy follows the pilgrimage of Miranda, a professor at the University of Toronto. Along the way she meets many like-minded souls, among them, Kieran, a lapsed candidate for the priesthood who is carrying and translating a book written in Latin: a book he should not have. Early in the story Kieran disappears � and so does his book. Dovetailed with this is a �time shift� to the 4th century, and a, admittedly fictitious, look at Priscillian and his followers, based on the facts we know of his life and teachings. Readers will find a decidedly Gnostic slant to his thoughts and practises, and perhaps too much Paganism which ultimately cost him his life.
I walked my own Camino in 1999 from the Pyrenees. There is still no doubt in my mind that it was perhaps the most important thing I have ever done, and, as it does with all pilgrims remains a constant influence in my everyday life.

For more information, seeBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Hello Tracey

Congratulations on completing your book. We'll see if forum members have questions for you!

T
OP Offline
T
Something that I have discovered recently while getting involved in a Spanish Pilgrim site is that there is no dearth of literature on the subject of Priscillian within Spanish-speaking circles. Why is it, then, that so many pilgrims have contacted me and asked (as I once did) "Who is this Priscillian?"
For you Spanish speaking members, I highly recommmend:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

I don't think the original poster is still around but it was a very interesting topic. RE: Camino de Santiago pilgrimage, I wanted to let people know that there is a beautiful little indie movie about one man's pilgrimage. It's called The Way (2010) starring Martin Sheen as a father who goes to retrieve the remains of his son who died while making the pilgrimage and he decides to complete his son's journey. Wonderful characters and performances as well as a lovely story. Sue

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Thanks Sue, that sounds interesting!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.