Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
It is absolutely correct that they have to accomodate, even at extra cost to the school both children with disabilities. So if the problem was not sharing a particular class then they would have to allow one or the other to take the class somehow outside of the usual classroom setting.

I think installing lights in the school is a good idea, however it is more costly to the school than allowing a dog into the school.

As far as being disruptive to the other children, I think it should be that children learn about the allowances we have to make for others in society that are disabled. All the principal did was teach them how to discriminate instead of coming up with a viable solution. He should never be allowed to work in a school again.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Here is another issue in PA, with the kid having autism and others being allergic to dog.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Elephant
Elephant
it's a violation of the law... PERIOD!

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
K
Gecko
Gecko
K
Not allowing a service dog, or 'hearing' dog is in violation of the disability laws. A hearing dog is equipped to 'alert' their owner of people approaching them, of cars around them etc. If there is indeed a student that has an asthmatic condition, this should not affect the deaf student's rights to his/her hearing dog. I agree with the post of someone up above, in this discussion,that questioned the reality of whether or not an asthmatic student would fear going outside at all. Also, what are the policies of this particular school in regards to a seeing eye dog? Do they also refuse their blind students the right to their service dog? Wouldn't that same animal be hazardous for the student with allergies? Most students that suffer from asthma must deal with the realities of possible allergies and asthmatic attacks on a daily basis and are on medication. I strongly believe that the deaf student has every right to a service dog. I personally have an 'alert' dog that helps notify me when someone is knocking on my door. My dog will hear the knocking, run to me, look back at the door, run towards the door, and repeat this until I answer the door. My dog is a huge help to me in this matter.

S
Shark
Shark
S
Originally Posted By: kellideister
If there is indeed a student that has an asthmatic condition, this should not affect the deaf student's rights to his/her hearing dog.

And I may get blasted for this...(probably will actually)

I completely understand that a guide dog is a right and that this child should have been able to bring him into the school... thats the law.. no argument there.

But personally.. especially after working in an ER and seeing asthma attacks, and people have serious reaction from allergies: I would rather see an uncomfortable child without their guide dog, than one of his classmates convulsing on the floor, blue in the face, dying slowly and painfully as his throat closes up.

Obviously a solution needs to be found. When I worked with SONC (special olympics northern california) there were two children with guide dogs, and one with asthma and a terrible allergy to dogs and cats. The familys (not wanting to leave out either the children with guide dogs or the child with allergies/asthma) got together and came up with a solution that worked for the 3 years that I knew them. Before events or camps, when these children were going to be in the same area. The dogs were taken to a groomer and shaved, (and put in coats if it was cold) and the children just didn't hang out together. They stayed to opposite sides of the room and it seemed to work just fine.

And I am sure there are many other options, what about a way to try and control the pet hair and dander. I actually had a crazy thought come to mind. A simple undergravel filter from a fish tank with a porous blanket on top. As the dog lays on it next to its owner, the majority of pet hair and dander is sucked into the filter.

There are many things that can be done before simply banning the dog. But in the long run, if their truly is someone with that serious of an allergy there, I believe their right to live is more important to someones elses rights to a guide dog.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
"You wouldn't tell a person in a wheelchair that they are not allowed to bring their chair in because it would scuff the floor but then give them a floor dolly with padded wheels to push themselves around on would you?"

I agree completely that a cosmetic issue should not take precedence. However, we are comparing scuff marks with death, which I am not sure is a good comparison to make.

Skeeter - That's a very good point. I know this issue is very sensitive - but I really do think there is a solution if we sought for one that was not infringing. It seems to "lazy" to go with a solution which is cheap and infringing.

I agree that children who are blind and deaf need equal access - but I also feel the access should be equal - not one that causes harm or death to a "lesser disability". To just say "a dog has higher preference so other children should face death without warning" doesn't make sense to me. All needs should be weighed and a solution found that manages everybody.

I know someone here said "lights would cost more" but I would rather have it cost more vs go with the cheap solution that kills off the kids with asthma because "they don't matter as much".

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 04/18/08 09:10 PM.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
http://www.uspharmacist.com/oldformat.as...;article_id=744

"Asthma already accounts for one in six of all pediatric emergency room visits in the U.S., and is the leading cause of ER visits among children under age 5. ... The 9th leading cause of hospitalization nationwide, asthma is a disease that affects all, but places its heaviest burden on families below the poverty line."

About 15 people a day die from asthma. People can develop allergies suddenly, as we all know from food allergies.

I'm just saying that there *are* better solutions out there than dogs - right now - and that people tend not to use them for money reasons. I would rather invest the money into good solutions vs putting money into solutions that are known to cause death.

If someone had a blindness / deafness solution that included having peanut spray suddenly brought into a school and sprayed as the student moved through the school, I would have the same reaction to it. It seems inappropriately death-bringing to the "clean" scholastic environment. Like having a dog brought into a hospital's asthma wing.

Also, in the specific case we're discussing, I found a news report which said - "Cave, a sophomore, has hearing implants but doesn't always wear them because he says they are uncomfortable." So he *can* hear but it makes him uncomfortable to wear them. So we are talking about one kid's discomfort vs other kids' ability to breathe.

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 04/18/08 09:28 PM.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I've had this thread stuck in my mind non stop for the past two days. I want to reiterate that I *greatly* support the rights of deaf people, blind people, any people who need help. I have many friends in these conditions and lobby incessantly for them. I want the best solution for them, not a second-best one.

I realize this is an emotional issue and maybe it's just not realistic to talk about it "unbiasedly" in a specific disability support forum. I imagine it would be equally hard if this thread were in the asthma forum.

I will start a separate thread in the civil rights forum to continue the discussion there, where it is completely "disability independent". I personally will leave this thread here alone going forward.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Lisa, thanks for those stats on Asthma because I would have never know that many people die a day from it and can understand the concern.

I noticed we got another artilce posted and it referred to autism.

Personally, I think the schools don't really try to find solutions and that is why parents are always battling against them. I have an autistic brother and the school was just as happy to have him mainstreamed and get the extra "special-ed" money while treating him as if he had behavioral problems instead of developmental problems, than to try to do anything good for him and send him to the special school that was available in the area. So there is an instance where there was an option, but the school took about seven years to long to accept that solution.

My mother's fight was too long and my brother has issues because of it. So while parents are left trying to find solutions and fight the long hard fight, it always seems to come down to the almighty dollar.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
M
Shark
Shark
M
The problem also is everyone is thinking in terms of a fire and not in the broaders since of what this dog would actually be responsible for. All of us could here the approaching foot steps of a dangerous situation, a hearing disabled kid can't. We can hear the beeping of the small carts they drive down some school hall ways, or the clamoring wheels of the dolly that the janitor has stacked so high he can't see over it. Or what about a fight breaking out behind your back that you are oblivious to because you can't hear it and it is just inches out of your line of site. Until there is some other way to help someone who is hearing impaired deal with ALL these situations at ALL times service dogs are crucial. The solution may unfortunately be segregating these disabilties. With in a district set aside one school for children who need service dogs, and another for those with extreme allergies. While not ideal at the moment it's seems the best option.

Mindy, Adoption Editor
Adoption Site
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.