Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK it's my fault for putting this question into this forum, maybe I should have put it into Bible Basics instead smile It just flowed out of another thread we were having and I clicked quickly. If I move the thread now it'll just be completely confusing though smile

OK so we established that Buddhists believe in no God so to them the point is moot. Other people are still welcome to chime in with their points of view smile

Jase - that is fascinating, I was hoping one of you of Jewish background would chime in with some information in that area. So the words they would have used would have referred to either gender?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Yes, but just as we are expected to respect Christian forum guidelines, (Bible basics, specifically asks that we not argue against the Bible, refrain from questioning the beliefs of others, not dispute the existence of God....) I think the fact that you are in a forum where no God exists is a funny place to discuss things - about God.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Helen Wharton
It seems to me, if even the flowers are male <b>and</b> female, in balance, then the Creator must be likewise.

But that's just my opinion.

This has been the way I have thought since I was a child. If everything in nature (with the exception of a few animals and plants) needs male and female to procreate/recreate, God(s) must be the same way if we are a reflection of Him/Her/Them.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Originally Posted By: Alexandra
Yes, but just as we are expected to respect Christian forum guidelines, (Bible basics, specifically asks that we not argue against the Bible, refrain from questioning the beliefs of others, not dispute the existence of God....) I think the fact that you are in a forum where no God exists is a funny place to discuss things - about God.

My dear Alexandra, yes this is the Buddhism forum where we discuss Buddhist topics, but when we have non-Buddhist some to ask questions, we are just trying to answer them. There is a grat misconception, as Lynn has already stated, that Buddhism does have a God. Many non-Buddhists think we worship Buddha. I think this discussion has been relavent and interesting to see all the different views and opinions.

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
Zebra
Zebra
I don't have the slightest problem wih people discussing God, They just picked a funny place to do it!
TBH, I think if we discussed the veracity, existence and gender of God in christian forum, to the extent we have here, someone would already have said somehing by now....
Why is it, do you suppose, that I don't go there.....?;)

I have already had my fingers burned by such discussions, and having been stuffed full of it for over 40 years, by a RC upbringing, education and overall influential environment, I'm happy to be done with it!

I guess if I wanted to be discussing God and whatnot, that's where I'd find myself. on a Christian forum.
I'm happy to have had a forum that either doesn't need God, or would be free from prolonged, protracted and frankly immaterial discussion.
I don't dispute the right of people to discuss religious beliefs here.
I just think it's an ironic place to do it.

That's all....
I don't see that as being unreasonable...
In fact, I am just expounding a View, and an Intention...
as in the Eightfold Path....?
grin

Parakeet
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Alexandra
That's why I said it's immaterial to Buddhists.
Because it's on the Buddhist forum.....

I'm all for discussing existence, relevance to teachings, comparisons, similarities or conflicts...
But...
gender....?

...and yet the paradox is, here you are engaged in the discussion. From my perspective, perhaps you were drawn to it as material because the gender of "God" as a topic easily exists in each of your relevant topic examples here?

F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
Originally Posted By: Jeanette - DV & Buddhism

This has been the way I have thought since I was a child. If everything in nature (with the exception of a few animals and plants) needs male and female to procreate/recreate, God(s) must be the same way if we are a reflection of Him/Her/Them.

But most of the organisms on this planet don't have a gender. The vast majority of life on this planet are microbes. Also, some plants contain both genders on the same plant, some animals can switch gender depending on ecological stressors and such, many corals and even plants can clone themselves to create more of themselves. "Sex" is such a varied topic in biology. Which one does God fit under if he/she does have gender?

Zebra
Zebra
Originally Posted By: Shay_LoveYourTummy
...and yet the paradox is, here you are engaged in the discussion. From my perspective, perhaps you were drawn to it as material because the gender of "God" as a topic easily exists in each of your relevant topic examples here?

I'm all for joining in the discussion, if that's what people would like... but my first comment was, and still is, that it's immaterial.
I'll happily discuss it. But I just don't see the point....

If people don't believe in God, Why is it important?
if people DO believe in God - Why is it important?

Last edited by Alexandra; 03/15/08 12:51 PM.
Zebra
Zebra
Let me just try to explain why I find this discussion so bizarre:

I could understand it being discussed in the Christian Forum, where the notion of women priests still rubs some people up the wrong way, and where in some creeds, women priests are positively taboo...
Where in Catholicism, (I'm specific on this Doctrine because I was a Catholic) it is impossible to reconcile the prime example of Mary, as the ideal Catholic women ascribe to, with the fact that women carry the can for, and are the source of, original sin.

I could understand it being discussed in the Judaism Forum, where if I'm not incorrect, women carry and continue the lineage of Judaism: So if your father is Jewish but your mother isn't, you're not Jewish. if your father isn't Jewish, but your mother is, then so are you... yet God is male...

I could understand this being discussed in the Islam Forum, where - well, let's not go to how women are treated in the Islam faith, shall we....? shocked

But the discussion taking place on a forum where God doesn't even figure, just seems totally odd.
or is this actually the safest place to say whatever you want about a Deistic religion, and (more or less, within reason) get away with it Carte Blanche..... is that it....? wink

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK yes I apologize again for putting this thread into the wrong forum, and have moved it. It now has nothing to do with Buddhism. It is simply a question, which is what I had intended originally.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/11/24 04:36 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.