logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Since the weather is getting warmer now, I got to thinking about doing some painting outdoors and it inspired me to write an article about "plein air" painting. You can click here to see the article.

Has anyone ever painted (or done some other kind of artwork) outdoors before? If so, what were your experiences like?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Hi Diana- I enjoyed your article. Each year I look forward to going outside and doing a little painting, and each year I don't do as much as I would like. The idea of pulling all of my stuff out... Well, I guess I'm just lazy.

I also don't like to be uncomfortable. Too hot, too cold. Sun in my eyes... It has to be the perfect day. What I enjoy most is when a group of us will go to a park and set up. It's a social event and worth the effort.

One addition to your list which has changed plein air significantly is the invention of the camera. As you paint the sun changes the landscape dramatically, and it's helpful to take photos. With a camera you can begin outside and finish details inside.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Diana, Great article! I never gave much thought to the way paint is available to us in tubes. crazy Thanks for the interesting info.

I agree about the camera. I love to draw and paint outdoor subjects but I prefer taking a photo of the subject and working on it at my leisure. If you find the perfect subject in the perfect light, take a photo. The light changes so fast that the way you want to paint it is gone too fast.

Last edited by Helen Wharton; 03/07/08 09:00 AM.
-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Although the camera isn't an invention that helps you paint outdoors it sure do agree that it's a great invention for painting the outdoors while you are indoors! I find a camera indispensible, even for painting human figures, since I have no models and I must use myself to paint some parts of the body accurately. I just set up a tripod, take a few shots and print them out. Such is the beauty of a digital camera. It is particularly useful for hand positions.

I agree that one of the challenges of painting scenery from real life is that the lighting changes so rapidly. As you say, Carol, you can always finish up indoors with a photo if you can't finish up quickly enough.

O
Gecko
Gecko
O
I'm a sculptor and I love to spend as much time outside as possible. Often I study wildlife while sitting outside in their natural habitat and it really improves my sculptures when I create those types of animals in my work after observing them for several days. Like everyone else I often use a camera to capture particular movements to get the muscle tones correct and obviously an anole or other creature won't stand still forever so the camera is handy. I often sculpt outside though and enjoy it over being in a studio.

-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I had never considered sculpting outdoors. But of course there is no reason that it can't be done. It sounds like it really adds an extra dimension to your experience, Onewithclay. I can see how a camera would be indispensible if you are sculpting animals since as you say, it's unlikely they will be standing still for long.

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
As a watercolor painter I find it difficult to paint outdoors. The air is always too wet or too dry; either the paint dries SO slowly or else it dries in the brush! Although when conditions are right I have had my best successes when painting outdoors, I think that it forces me to work fast.
Once I took a 5 day workshop at the Nantucket Island school of art & design in late September when the weather was at it's best there. They would truck the students somewhere picturesque on the island and just leave us there to paint to our heart's content. It was wonderful, and I really accomplished a lot.
But usually I work indoors from photos that I took myself.

O
Gecko
Gecko
O
One advantage to sculpting outside is that I can take a water mister out with me and moisten the clay when the air starts drying it. I love nature and I get lots of inspirations out there.

-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Speaking of clay sculpture, although sculpture is not at all my primary medium, I did take a figure sculpture class at an art institute once. It was a great experience! I did learn how to make good use of the water mister since the clay dries so quickly, even inside. I can imagine how drying the outdoor environment would be for clay.

Moderated by  Art Appreciation 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.