logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#388968 03/07/08 05:10 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Hi Tony, I read on the internet that the song "Danny Boy" will be banned for the entire month of March at a New York bar. One reason the owner gave is that the song was written by an English man, not Irish. I heard, many years ago, that the song was written by an Irish man on his way home from a pub one night - he had fallen in a ditch and could not get up, so lay there and composed the song, while waiting for help. Is this not true? Who did write "Danny Boy"? I love that song. Banning it seems very petty to me.

Last edited by Phyllis NatAmEd; 03/07/08 07:31 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
Hi Phyllis:

The Irish drunk in the ditch makes a great story ---but sadly it isn't true. "Danny Boy" is usually sung to the tune of the "Londonderry Air".
The lyrics were originally written for a different tune in 1910 by Frederick Weatherly, an ENGISH ( Oh my gosh !!!LOL) lawyer who never even set foot on Irish soil. The song was later altered to fit the new tune.
The first recording was made by Ernestine Schumann-Heink in 1915. Weatherly gave the song to Elsie Griffin,a great British Opera Singer, who made it one of the most popular songs in the early 1900's. Her other big "hit" was "Roses of Picardy".
"Danny Boy" slowly altered its popularity by becoming more of a lament, especially for soldiers going off to war. Firefighters use it also for the loss of one of their officers.I've heard it said that it is seldom even sung in Ireland. Nonsense!!It's a very popular solo or duet at ceilis or church concerts.

Tony King
irishculture
OP Offline
Thanks for clarification on "Danny Boy", Tony. I am happy to hear it is still so popular. It is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard.

Go raibh maith agat! Sl�inte.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain

Moderated by  Bee - IrishCulture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/13/24 08:03 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/10/24 08:39 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/06/24 02:11 PM
Curiosity and Learning
by Angie - 04/06/24 09:56 AM
Easy to Sew Pillowcases
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/03/24 04:38 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/31/24 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.