logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#387163 03/04/08 11:10 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Helen, have you got that book yet? Let me know when you find that pattern of the doll with the painted face and what you think. I need to know what type of sealer to use prior to painting the face so it (the paint) will go on smoother. I tried painting a doll face on fabric and the paint does not go on very smooth. Is there a special sealer or primer or something I should use first?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Phyllis,
No I haven't got the book yet. But, there is an article on the doll making site which will help you. It is:

Painting Faces on Cloth Dolls

I have had good results with the paint that comes in the little bottles at craft stores. It is acrylic paint, so it dries quickly but it's the perfect consistency. If you use acrylics out of a tube you need to dilute it with water, but not too much. The paint in the bottles is thin enough to flow on the fabric well without bleeding and running; it stays where you put it. Also pay attention to the sizes of brushes I recommend in the article, that will help, too.

Good luck and I can't wait to see pictures. smile

OP Offline
I read the article. Thanks, Helen. You have some good info there. Those are the same techniques I use. However, even though I use the acrylics in the small bottles, it seems that the fabric sometimes pills and the paint is dislodged. I usually use a good muslin for my dolls, but I still need some kind of sealant for a more smooth surface to paint on.

Have you ever used water colors on fabric?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
To seal the fabric you can use Gesso. It's what painters paint on a canvas before they paint, as a primer. It comes in small jars for a small project or gallon cans for the pros. It is an acrylic product that looks and goes on just like white paint. The only problem I can see is you would have to paint the entire doll or it would look strange to just have a painted face. You would also have to paint the entire face whatever color you wanted the skin to be and then paint on the features.
Gesso also works best if the fabric is stretched before you apply it. Unfortunately acrylic paint will always flake off a little if it's applied thickly, which is why I like the consistency of the paint in the bottles.Also handling the fabric after it's painted will increase the probability that it will crack and flake. When I paint a face on a doll I paint it after the doll is assembled and stuffed, that way it stays better since the fabric isn't being handled enough to crease it.
As to watercolors, you can dilute the craft paint to the look of watercolors. If you really want that look I would DEFINITELY stay with acrylics because real watercolors will wash out when wet, acrylic color is permanent.
Cotton canvas is available pre-gessoed so you could buy that and use it just for the head of a doll, or the face side of the head. I don't know if I would use it for an entire doll because it can be quite stiff, but it is a thought.

OP Offline
Thanks, Helen. I think I would rather look for a clear sealant, though. Diluting the acrylics is a great idea - I never thought of that. Maybe if I do that, it won't flake as much. I, too, paint the face after assembling and stuffing the doll. Thank you for your help!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
You might try the acrylic mediums (media). They come out of the bottle clear, but I don't know how they would dry on fabric. Probably just like the paint. But they're not too expensive for the little bottles so you could experiment on a scrap piece of cloth, first.

OP Offline
I will try that with the acrylic mediums, Helen. Thanks.

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Moderated by  Helen Doll Making Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.