logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
If you could travel back in time and visit one era in history, any place in the world, what era would it be and where?

My pick would be Victorian England, because I am fascinated by the Victorian Era for reasons I am yet to figure out. I suppose my fascination is mostly in the clothing and the design. I would also love to see Ancient China and the building of the Great Wall.

Last edited by Heather - Chinese Culture; 03/07/08 10:52 AM.

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
I also love Victorian England :O)

J
Koala
Koala
J
I had many thoughts jump to mind when I read the question. I love history and even have a BA in history. I love reading about several different time periods, like Colonial times (love Colonial Williamsburg), pre-Civil war south, pioneer era in the Pacific Northwest, and Europe during WWII.

However, when I really thought about LIVING in those times, not sure I'd want to. If I could visit for just a few days, any of the above would be great. I'd like to see how the times are alike or different from what I've read about.

What a great book that would make!

C
Zebra
Zebra
C
I don't think that I would like to go too far back in time for exactly the reason that Joan mentioned. The living conditions would be very harsh compared to what we are comfortable with now.

If I could only visit for a few hours, I would like to see a pyramid being built and see how the Egyptians actually lived.
If I was staying longer, the 1950's would be my choice. It was an exciting time with rock and roll becoming popular and post- war changes.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
Gecko
Gecko
Without a doubt, the 1950s would be my choice. Elvis and Ricky Nelson live appearances and flattering shirt waist dresses might make up for having to dress up in hat, gloves and pearls to go to the grocery store and possibly having a new baby every year!

I love movies and books and the clothing of Victorian England, but with my luck, the time machine would not take care of issuing Royal status and I don't think I'd enjoy being a peasant.

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Take it from someone who was around in the 50's - it was, for the most part, quite boring.

I'd like to visit ancient Egypt - 4th and 18th Dynasties.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
The roaring 20s!

Rosie L
N
Parakeet
Parakeet
N
This is a really good question. At first my thoughts were all over the place, but now I'm thinking along the lines of what joan and chloe were saying. Hm.

But I guess the key word is "visit." If I'm just visiting, and I'd come back here after the visit was over, I think I might want to check out Industrial Revolution-era London -- say, the 1820s or 1830s.

Baby Name Blogger & Editor
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
I was born in 1958 and was encouraged by my parents to go to University...I have a successful legal career, happy marriage, enjoy lots of travel, a rich social life and financial security.
When I think about life for women in the 40s, 20s, 1870s, 1700s - I see limited opportunities for education and employment, no reliable birth control, little or no independence, the stigma of being a "spinster"...no thanks, I wouldn't have survived when my choices were so limited - spinsterhood and living with my parents or marriage and having a baby or miscarriage every year of my reproductive life. (with no effective pain control, epidurals, caesarean sections)
If you married well you painted, sewed, played the piano and had children....if you married an ordinary man you had a life of backbreaking work and kids...
In those days there were no labour saving devices...you made your own cheese, cream & butter, wood burning stoves, baking bread and everything else, coppers and hand wringers, washing nappies by hand etc...
My great grandmother had 10 children - her first at 20...her last at 46...no doubt, miscarriages in between...she also, had a stillborn son at 43 - what a hard life! Her husband was a dairy farmer so, she helped milk the cows, ran the house and cared for her kids.
I like/need to be in control of my life - I'm independent and opinionated...
I feel fortunate to have been born in a time that offered options, choices & opportunities for females - and that my working class parents were open minded enough to encourage me to "reach for the stars"...

Last edited by Deborah49; 03/08/08 08:38 AM.
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
If I were visiting - maybe...India during the days of the British Raj - gin & tonic on the verandah at 4pm, the long lunches and dinners, the train journeys, English afternoon tea, dressing for dinner, safaris to view (not shoot) tigers and elephants...the interesting sights, architecture and culture...Indian food...sounds very exotic...

Last edited by Deborah49; 03/08/08 08:34 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 07:45 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.