logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#386879 03/04/08 05:31 PM
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
So, for about a year, I've been using safflower oil after showering--I read about it somewhere & decided to give it a try.

I have very sensitive skin and it has always been on the oily side, so I never bothered with lotions until I was over 40. But as I get older, it's getting more and more dry, so I need it now. Oil seals in moisture very well after a bath or shower, and safflower oil has essentially no smell, and I've not had any reactions from it (I'm usually allergic to scents.)

I re-stocked yesterday and 24 ounces was only $3.34 (and it will likely last me at least half a year.) This cost less than a third of what a bottle of Neutrogena fragrance-free sesame oil costs. Works the same, too.

Oh, you buy it in the grocery section where the cooking oils are. I've never used it for cooking, though. laugh

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Is ther a particular brand you've tried? Right now I'm using baby oil after the shower which helps but isn't perfect.

So how are you applying this? Have you put it in a spray bottle or are you just poring it on?

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Oh, I love baby oil, but the fragrance breaks me out!

The brand I got is LouAna, but I don't think that matters. I pour it into a smaller bottle to keep by the tub, then I just pour some into my hand & slather it on. I do this before toweling off, since I don't like much of an oily feeling myself and this way, you really do seal in the moisture.

Oh, and I don't use it on my face -- still too oily there for added oil. I do use Clinique moisturizer, though.

Tiger
Tiger
I have always hated the smell of Johnson's baby oil and wished they'd come out with a scentless version for adults. I've been desperate for nourishment so I went back to the baby oil for some winter lube. It's probably the fragrance that is irritating me. I'm going to look for safflower oil and give that a try. I will report back. smile

B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
Safflower oil has vitamin E in it which is good for your skin. I give my dog a teaspoon a day in her food so she can have a shiny coat!

I like coconut oil also.

Gecko
Gecko
I don't like the idea of slathering petroleum products on the baby's (or my) skin. I make my own non-petroleum jelly and use natural oils rather than commercial baby oil.

One of my favorites is almond oil. I like it because it's very light, but one of my babies is allergic to nuts so that's out for her. The only drawback is that it's kind of expensive.

Some people add some essential oils like lavender, orange or calendula flowers, but if skin sensitivity is an issue I would just go with unscented.

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
Yeah, I only use essential oils for aromatherapy and rarely on my skin. I did put lavendar on a burn a couple weeks ago--it worked very well!

Moderated by  BB -Body Care 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.