Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Have you tried the manufacturer's website to see if they have a replacement manual? A lot will offer a PDF file of the user manual.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Rhonda,
I have found that most manufacturers have a website which not only has user instructions for the appliances, but also lots of recipes for using them. I've found that recipes from the manufacturer's sites are usually good, since they want you to use their appliance often.

The amounts of rice and water vary depending on the type of rice used. When using converted rice such as Uncle Bens (my favorite all purpose rice), use 1 cup rice to two cups water; I always add a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of butter to this. When I'm using Asian rice, such as jasamine, basmati, or short grain sushi rice, I use 1 cup rice to 1 1/2-1 3/4 cups water. It also makes a difference where you live. In high altitudes it sometimes takes a little more water than in lower altitudes. Also, check the directions on the package of rice and the first time use the amounts given, then add or subtract depending on how the rice turns out.

Although I never use Minute Rice or equivalent, I don't believe they are suitable for the rice cooker.

I have posted several recipes using the rice cooker on the Quick Cooking Site. I not only use mine for rice dishes, but it also works well for steaming vegetables, homemade tamales, and steamed puddings.

Good Luck!

Karen Hancock, Quick Cooking Editor
Quick Cooking Website
Quick Cooking Forum

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I am a big bread machine person, especially when I'm in a hurry and want bread but don't want to be in the kitchen while it's mixing. However, I use it mostly for mixing and proofing the dough. It's difficult to get the machine to bake the bread so that it isn't too dark or too light (I own 8 bread machines, all different brands, that I picked up at the thrift store for about $5 each. Some bake better than others, but none of my 8 are perfect). The dough setting allows you to shape the finished dough just how you want to, either in a standard bread pan, mini pans, muffin pans, or free form style like French Bread. I always use the bread machine for pita bread dough, pizza dough, English muffin dough, and roll dough. I know that partly defeats the purpose, and I've been told that it can be recalibrated at an appliance repair shop, which might be worth it.

If you're willing to pay a lot of money, the Zojirushi is a bread machine on the market that makes perfectly baked loaves, however it sells for over $200. I want to buy one of these to test, but my husband thinks I have too many machines as it is!

To answer your question on the rice cooker, the main benefit of a rice cooker is that it cooks the rice perfectly without anyone having to watch it. The rice cooker turns off automatically when the water is absorbed and keeps it warm for up to a couple of hours. I use it a lot to make rice pilaf, too. There are several recipes on the Quick Cooking site to use in the rice cooker.

Karen Hancock, Quick Cooking Editor
Quick Cooking Website
Quick Cooking Forum

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Karen - Quick Cook Ed 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.