Next Thread
Print Thread
#373338 02/07/08 12:28 PM
D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
I'd love to hear how you decorate your guestrooms! And do yours do double duty (guestroom/exercise space) or do they stand alone?

Donna smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Shark
Shark
C
Hi, Donna. Mine definitely does double duty. I keep my sewing and crafty things in there, but I try to keep the room in "zones" where the guest doesn't feel like they have to tromp through my stuff to get to the closet or the bathroom.

Something else I did that helped was spend the night in my guest room. It gave me ideas for what a guest might want in that room--i.e. good t.v. placement, convenient remote, an alarm clock, a reading lamp, a fresh toothbrush in the bathroom, etc. It was kind of fun figuring out what to put in there. I even put a few books in there that I had previously enjoyed--in case a guest wants something to read.

cela
cela #383854 02/29/08 02:00 PM
D
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
D
Hi Cela!
Great idea about spending the night in your guest room! I was wondering what you do to keep your crafts in zones? I think this is the challenge lots of people have with guest rooms, bec they want it to look nice, but be useable whenever they need it, too.

If you have time, I'd love to hear more!

Donna smile

C
Shark
Shark
C
Well, to keep it zoned, I picked a corner for most of the craft/sewing things. That corner contains my sewing table and a low set of bookshelves where I keep a lot of "stuff." Next to that corner is a tall bookcase that holds craft tools and thread. The only thing that's not near that corner is a tall bookshelf on another wall where I stack fabric. I stack it in color families and actually roll some of it to try to give those shelves an orderly, more interesting look. The bed, nightstand, and a small chest of drawers are near each other on the other side of the room, if you can picture that. It's a pretty straight shot from the bed either to the closet or the bathroom. Also, it helps that this room's dimensions are pretty generous.

If I have to spread anything out on the bed to work on it, I try to make sure there's enough time to finish the "spread-out stage" before company appears. Usually, there's a little warning that company is coming. This gives me time to shift any overflow to the craft corner, if I happen to be working on anything of significant size. Usually, if it's a sewing project, I can drape it over my sewing chair; and it will be out of guests' way. Also, I pretty much straighten up as I go because working in clutter distracts me too much.

Something else I do is keep my eye out for nice boxes at good prices. This gives my storage a nicer look. I've even covered random sturdy cardboard boxes myself (with Mod Podge and tissue paper) just to have pretty storage. Everyone probably knows that Tuesday Morning and Target often have pretty, reasonably priced storage boxes. Then, too, baskets are nice for hiding clutter.

Last edited by cela; 03/03/08 10:37 AM.

cela
cela #385573 03/03/08 10:40 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
We use my son's room as a guest room - he's off in college. It is where we keep all my origami papers and other craft supplies, plus all the gaming gear (four guitars at last count for the various versions of Guitar Hero, etc). So it's pretty full in there. I'm lucky to keep a path clear from the bed to the door smile They do have a phone, alarm clock, lamp etc.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.