Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#384693 03/01/08 10:28 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Do you have any recipes for Tilapia? We love this fish but have only one basic recipe for it.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
I love Tilapia. I just roll it up in a sheet of tinfoil that's been sprayed with olive oil and spritz fresh lemon over the fish. Sometimes I throw in some green onion. And bake.

M o e #384989 03/02/08 02:13 PM
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
We usually put some diced tomatoes, chopped onions and a bit of olive oil on top. Season with salt and pepper.

We wrap it in tin foil and bake or grill.

It's wonderful, and works great on halibut as well. smile

J
Koala
Koala
J
I get frozen Tilapia fillets at Costco. They're seasoned and ready to pop into the oven. It's a really quick and delicious dinner.

joanj #385561 03/03/08 10:11 AM
I never heard of Tilapia, is it skinned, breaded or what, does it have a strong fishy taste,?

Rosie L
"Rosie" #385602 03/03/08 11:48 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Tilapia does not have fishy taste which makes it great for people like me who don't eat fish because of the "fishiness."

I have sauteed Tilipia in a little olive oil with garlic, onions and tomato.

B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I haven't tried tilapia but it sounds delicious. I'm trying to put more fish into our diet so we can be healthier.

BoomerGal #385647 03/03/08 12:55 PM
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
I love tilapia. It has a very mild taste and is easy to prepare. I usually saute mine with some sliced mushrooms, green onion and a bit of white wine. Season with salt and pepper.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
joanj #385756 03/03/08 02:56 PM
R
Gecko
Gecko
R
We buy our Tilapia at Costco as well but we get the kind that is not yet seasoned. Their prices are excellent. I use it in most any recipe that calls for a white fish. The last time I used Tilapia, I made Fish Tacos. They were so yummy and better than any we have had in a restaurant.

Rhonda C #385914 03/03/08 05:42 PM
J
Amoeba
Amoeba
J
Tilapia is a favorite of mine as well, its affordable and so not fishy!! I love to saute it in a lemon caper sauce.

Jill Valente
Healthy Foods
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
Jill, I love lemon and capers. How do you prepare your sauce?

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
OP Offline
Wow!!! Thanks for all the tips. Now I have more options. Olive oil, onions and tomatos sounds really good, and wrapping it in foil keeps all the moisture in. Thank you, all.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I've tried a great Tilapia I found at the grocers, it had a confetti colored coating. It was a mix of corn meal, probably red pepper and spices. Had a mexican flare to it; very yummy, not too spicy. The kids loved it and it was so easy to prepare.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Tilapia is just one of those fish you can cook so many ways. It doesn't come with a pre-established flavor or smell.

I buy Sea Bests' (unseasoned) 4 LB box.

I heat a large sautee pan w/3 Tbl Olive Oil and 1 slice of bacon and throw in some sliced onion and 4-5 cloves of garlic and temper with some white wine or marsala.

Season filets with salt, pepper, McCormicks season salt (spicy) and italian seasoning and dredged through a mixture of flour, parmesean cheese, season salt and flour.

Cook on each side for about 5-6 min. and at the last minute a bit more of the wine.

Before serving I squeeze lemon across the filets and serve with garlic bread or red steamed potatoes and corn. It's not calorie conscious but sometimes as an extra, I'll mix some melted butter parmesean cheese and parsely for a diping sauce smile

Baking cuts calories. Onions, red bell pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic with a sprinkle of season salt is just as nice. Sometimes I throw in italian or fresh tomatoes on the grill with zuccinni and summer sqash it's wonderful!!

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Shark
Shark
These all sound so good that it's making my mouth water! I love tilapia too but I haven't been as creative as it seems most people have. I normally just cook it in some lemon juice, little bit of butter, pepper and seasoning. But I love the idea of baking it with peppers, tomatoes, and onions. I'm going to try that next time! How long do you bake it? Not very long, I'm sure.

J
Amoeba
Amoeba
J
Tilapia in Lemon Caper Sauce

First I season the fish with a little salt and pepper then I cook it in a saute pan with a bit of olive oil until flaky. Remove from pan and then add some lemon juice, capers and maybe even some chicken stock and deglaze the pan. Add the fish back to the saute pan and allow the sit for a bit. Serve with fresh lemon slices. OH and another thing you can do is not add the fish back in but throw in some aspargus and steam it in the pan juices and serve the whole thing together.

Jill Valente
Healthy Foods
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
Thanks Jill! I like the idea of adding some asparagus at the end too. That makes it an easy one pan meal.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
chloe21 #393873 03/16/08 07:03 PM
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
We enjoy tilapia, too -- nice and mild. I fry it with a bit of olive oil, a dash of salt and pepper and a bit of lemon juice. My son loves it -- used to be a picky eater but those teen boy growth patterns opens him up to many more options!

Any suggestions of other mild fish? Those are the ones that we tend to like.

Ms A #395126 03/18/08 08:52 PM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Tilapia is a common fish locally both in stores or right off the boat. The way we fix it most is in a Tamarind Soup base from mix (Knorr) with sauteed onion and any of a variety of veggies - eggplant, greens, carrots, etc. The fish is added last and when serving it is removed to a plate along with the veggies and the broth is served up in mugs. - Hey, it's the other side of the world. that's how all soups are eaten here.

HeyYou
C
C
Spice-Rubbed Tilapia with Mango and Red Onion Salsa SALSA 1 mango, chopped small 1 red pepper, chopped small 1 red onion, chopped small 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped 1 teaspoon garlic, minced 1/4 cup pineapple juice 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, chopped salt and pepper, to taste 2 pounds tilapia filets 3 tablespoons olive oil SPICE RUB 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon ground coriander 1 tablespoon paprika 1 tablespoon chili powder 1 teaspoon kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground For salsa, mix all ingredients (mango through salt and pepper) together. Brush olive oil onto the tilapia fillets. for the spice rub, mix all the ingredients together. Rub the spice mixture onto the oil-coated tilapia filets. Pan sear the tilapia filets in a nonstick pan for 3-4 minutes per side, or until done. Top generously with salsa and serve.

ChefJames #543554 08/19/09 03:02 PM
K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
Chef James, this sounds great! Thank you so much. I can't wait to try it.

And thanks to your post, this thread is up to the top again. In the past other readers sent in great ideas from for this delicious and affordable fish.

Kathy L. Brown
HealthyFoods
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Megan-Healthy Foods 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.