logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Did you hear that a German manuscript expert claims to have solved the identity of the Mona Lisa? The question is:

Do you want to know who Mona Lisa was or would you rather it remain a mystery?

I, for one, am interested in knowing who she really was but am also a little disappointed. The mystery was fun and there was always the anticipation of a clue turning up. How do you feel about it?

To learn about this latest discovery, see my art history article here: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art54986.asp

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I think the mystery was the most poignant aspect of The Mona Lisa. I would rather not have found out. It was the woman of a hired help, wasn't it? Or was it his lover? I really did not want to know so I guess I had blocked it out of my mind.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Tiger
Tiger
The mystery is definitely part of Mona Lisa's charm. I don't know if I believe the interpretation or not. The notes about having done a portrait of Lisa del Giocondo does not necessarily prove she is the mona lisa. He could have painted another portrait that is actually this woman, no? I don't think it's all that definitive unless the notes say specifically that the Mona Lisa is in fact Lisa Del Giocondo.

What are your thoughts Diana? Do you think it's 100% for certain?

-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
M o e -- I think it's extremely likely but not 100% for certain. I read a book once that talked about just such uncertainties in history and the concept is interesting. The book describes a story that presents another possible explanation for the details surrounding an ancient Egyptian tomb discovery. It is a more convoluted story, not the simpleist interpretation of the facts, but yet it was also possible. The interesting thing is that that's the way history is -- we can never say for certain what happened in the past; we can only make a guess.

Tiger
Tiger
So I guess this is the answer until the next discovery comes along and someone else disproves it?

Is the theory that he used himself as the model still alive? I thought that was the best assumption.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I don't remember the details well but there was an expert who had good evidence for believing that Mona Lisa was based on da Vinci's own portrait. I don't know if she has changed her mind in light of the new evidence. But this theory holds a lot of water for me. As an artist, I have been told that my paintings look an awful lot like me. I disagree since I tend to think the resemblance is superficial but maybe it is not something I can see myself. I do use my own body to clarify certain facial features and physical characteristics since I do not hire models. But da Vinci did use models...

The one thing, I feel, that keeps The Mona Lisa alive and famous is the mystery of her. I really think we may never know for sure who the model was and I hope it stays that way.

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Moderated by  Art Appreciation 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.