Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
B
I've never had any religious teaching, never read the Bible, never known Jesus. Yet I feel as though I want to have something that I believe in. My parents were both Atheists and think the whole idea of God is just silly and that people just invented him to make themselves feel better about the lack of meaning in their lives. But I don't know what to think. I want to try to explore the idea of faith, but it's always been treated with SO MUCH cynicism that I feel I would just laugh if someone said to me "Jesus exists because I know it in my heart." You know? That's just not a good enough explanation for me. But I still WANT to try to have faith. I was hoping you could all give me some suggestions as to how I can begin exploring faith and Jesus without "overdoing it" and reacting cynically as I'm afraid I would just because of the way I was brought up as a child... I'm an adult with my own family now but I just want more.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
What you are feeling is normal. I think everyone has that inner desire to know God until they deny it for so long that they can't feel it anymore.

Are you a reader? Jim Colyer posted this in another forum about the book "A Case for Christ"
Case for Christ

Lee Stroble also has a book called "A Case for Faith"

This is something I think you should explore and then make your own decision.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Years ago, when I was going through many personal crisis, I felt lost and searched deeply inward for something, anything, to hold on to. I kept reading, seeking, writing, asking for help and prayed for truth to my higher self. One night I had a dream: I was standing on the Earth all by myself. It was dark and I was crying and calling for help. A very large Angel came down to me and took my hand and led me up into the clouds, then pointed towards a very bright light. I turned and the light was so bright that I could not see and it hurt my eyes, so I shut them and turned away. I heard someone behind me say, "You are looking too hard. He is right here beside you." I turned back and saw Jesus holding out His arms to me and all the stress, fear and lonliness left me. I was home!

When I woke up I felt better than I had in years. Since then I know that God is everywhere, in everything I see, touch and hear, yet He is never far from me nor is Jesus. All religions believe in a higher being, above all. This higher being is called God, Great Spirit, Creator, Allah, many names, but all the same Higher Being. No matter what path a religion or belief leads you on the destination for all is the same: Peace, Heaven, Spiritual Wholeness.

This is my belief and I hope I have been of some help. I firmly believe that there is someone who can guide you. A Native American Spiritual Leader/Healer may be of great help to you in your search.

Last edited by Phyllis D. Burns; 02/22/08 04:24 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
B
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
B
Thank you for the help ladies! I will check out those books you mentioned, Lynne. That is a very powerful dream Phyllis! I know what you mean about all human beings believing in a higher being- it really is the human condition. This makes me think if it's in every society's nature to believe in something, then that's probably not an accident right?

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
I believe you will find God very soon. When you start wondering and start looking He will be found. He just waits for the desire to be sparked.

There are no accidents.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
I agree, phyllis, Coincidence is God at work. You are nearer to God than you realise keep going babyblueprep.
I read of some Athiests in Russia who found God because they knew that the THumb of the hand was not just accidental design. So they worshipped the God of the thumb! God knows and he answers.Keep hoping, ask him to show you who and what he is.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
It may be helpful for you to find a Bible believing non denominational church to join to help you as well. You don't need to go to church to believe in God but it could help you in understanding the Bible a bit better.

The Bible can be a very confusing book to read without a little guidance or understanding of it.

Heck there are a lot of things I still don't understand in it.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Koala
Koala
mmm...I disagree. Church can be a bit intemadating... I would try to find a friend that is christian and ask question... Church is great and all but if you are not big on crowds and lots of people...I would find one person to talk to and then go with them to there church that way it is not as intimadating.

If you cant find a christian you like...just pick up a bible that you find easy to read NIV or even the Message are great ones to read. oh and the BOOK. the Book is a Bible that reads like a story so it dont have all the chapter and verus stuff like the NIV which I personaly like better just for reading and getting a feel for the charitors of the bible. I also have to disagree and agree with Vance at the same time. the bible can be very confusing to read but at the same time if you read it with out outside influnces you may learn more because you have to think about what you read and you dont have that outside third person point of view telling you this is what you should think about what it says.... you could take a class online to get the basics down like the history and era that the bible was wrote in and the culture of the people (this is helpful!) also knowing the out line of each book and connectiong the people like David and Golith and King David are the same person... this will make understanding the people easier...

I think personaly, that what is between you and God is just that It is between you and God. and When God Calls to you you dont have to worry about finding God because God has already made and found you! It is a matter of time before something clicks in your heart and mind and you know that God is real. That is not to say that all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place or that you are indowed with some great and mighty overwhelming emotion... but it could happen.

We all struggle to figure out what we believe and why we believe it and that is ok. As long as you know that you are right where God wants you to be then rest knowing that God is in control even if you are not!

I have spent many years tring to believe what others tell me I have to believe because this or that is wrong evil silly whatever. and it is very hard to strick out on your own and think for yourself and find out what you believe and why. I was Raised Christian and A member of the Church or the Nazarine... as a child I believed exactly what I was told to believe and as I got older I started asking questions that no one could answer for me. I think that is where you are. I maybe wrong...but...
It takes gut to ask the hard questions and it takes strenght to go against the crowd when you dont believe what they do. A lot of Soul Seaching!!! I am still Soul searching! It is a life long process!! and after you have asked everyone what they think and feel is the right answers the only answer that matters is What do you believe? that Is all God will Care about when it is all said and done.

I am still a christian btw. although my views are not the same as most christians that I know and that is ok too. Hope I didnt offend anyone! Good Luck in your Soul Searching!

Moderated by  Lynne - ChristianLiving 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.