Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#381166 02/25/08 07:20 PM
I
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I
Well I know I have seen posts here about some of us having more guy friends than girls. I am definitely one of those people. I feel it is hard to have anything in common w/ most women esp. for me since every woman I know has kids and that is mainly all they discuss. So here is my question to those of you who can relate - Have you ever felt like all the women are staring at you when you and your DH or SO are hanging out w/ all the guys and all those women are wondering why you are over there instead of hanging out w/ the girls? Maybe I am just paranoid, but I do feel this way sometimes when I am hanging out w/ a larger group of people who don't know me extremely well. Like I said, I don't really have any girlfriends. I could care less what anyone thinks of me, but I will admit it makes me feel a tad awkward from time to time. Hope everyone here is doing well today and hello from me since I have not been on in a few weeks =)

Last edited by ilove1978; 02/25/08 07:21 PM.

I am a mom - to my sweet baby Pekingese =)
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
When I was younger, I had more guys friends. As I have gotten older and took a chance on getting to know some women, I have found out what I have been missing. I have children but that is certainly not all I talk about. Good fathers talk about their children alot as well. Some people are fascinating and I love to share but I have more in common with women. I don't do sports, fix cars, although I do ride motorcycles, which more and more women are finding to be fun. The only negative is that I am very extroverted and sometimes women perceive that as ball busting. Not at all, I am very pro woman and always have been.

I
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I
I would definitely like to have more girlfriends, but at the moment in my current situation, it isn't really all that possible. My only co-worker is my brother (family business run by only members of my family) so no way to meet anyone at my job like alot of people do, my church is very small and the few women I do know are all old enough to be my mother (however they are all extremely nice) and there are no women my age there. So I am kinda the odd person out as far as meeting new people to be friends w/. I am happy and I am grateful at least to my DH who is my best friend in the whole world =)

I am a mom - to my sweet baby Pekingese =)
Y
Y
I have always been the only girl in a big group of guys. I have liked it because girls can be so @itchy sometimes. I was like that all the way through college. But now that I am close to 30 I have almost all girlfriends, with the exception of my DH few friends, but then I have become friends with their wives...I can relate more now to other girls now that I am older. But I like being one of the guys. It is nice being the only girl, 'cause you get all of the attention!!

B
Amoeba
Amoeba
B
ilove1978 - I hear ya. I run an office where I am the only full-time person, and the p/t employees come in, do their job, and leave, so I don't get much interaction that way. I work odd hours so most women I knew in college are not home when I am (the only ones that are would be the SAHM's).

When I was first getting my business going, and for a few years into it, I worked most nights until 8:30, and missed out on a lot of social opportunities. I find now that even though I leave early some nights, it's almost an engrained habit to turn down an invitation even if it's during a time when I can go. Weird, eh?

My best friend from high school was a guy. He now lives about 10 minutes away from me, with his wife and three young kids. We talk occasionally, mostly online, but rarely get together. His wife tries to act confident but he's told me that she's a very jealous person and doesn't understand how he and I can "just" be friends (I'm sure she would get it if the shoe were on the other foot and it was her and a guy in question.)

I think the place where I feel like the biggest outsider is in my neighborhood. We moved in almost 3 years ago, and are the ONLY people on the street w/o kids. I have nothing in common with these women, as their entire worlds seem to be focused on their kids. It's also obvious that the previous family had kids (they had 3) because the neighborhood kids think nothing of playing in our yard (actually ran through our backyard right in front of me once during a game of tag. Ask me why we now lock our gates.), which ticks us off to no end.

Wow... didn't mean to write a thesis there. Apparently I had some pent-up thoughts on this issue. Getting back to the main topic, I do wish I had more girlfriends too. My DH definitely helps keep me sane by being my best friend. grin

Bifumus #381230 02/25/08 09:22 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I always liked hanging out with the guys; the types of interests I had seemed to align more with them than with the girls in my area. I was never into dressing up or makeup or anything like that. But as I've gotten older things have changed - I've found a lot of women who are very much like me and we enjoy greatly spending time together. So I think it's a matter of who you are able to find that share interests. I still like hanging out with guys too, but now it's not a matter of "the only real choice".

For example, I love computer games and programming. It used to be that only guys did those things. Now many women do too.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Parakeet
Parakeet
Since I was in first grade, I've never had more than one close female friend at a time. For the last decade, it's been the same girl. Everyone else I'm close to is male, and most of those guys are straight and single. (I admit I get weird looks from people who know my fiance and see me hanging out with another guy.) I've always felt more comfortable with guys in general.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
M.B. #381270 02/25/08 10:33 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
My best friends that I get along with best tend to be women! No, not romantically, but my general attitudes (not liking sports, not being macho, empathizing with others...) tends to make me not like guys as friends, but I tend to get along with women better.

S
S
I tend to relate better with guys, I also work better with them. They seem to prefer a jokey bantering approach and that's how I work best. We take the [censored] out of each other, but never take it personally. In addition I enjoy action films with plenty of blood and guts and UFC, plus I work in the video gaming industry so deal mostly with guys.

I struggled recently working with a girl who was image obsessed and very girly... considering the last time I had a haircut I did it over a sink myself, we had little in common. She bingoed my hubby at the works Xmas party... "so when are you guys having babies?", My hubbies answer of "never" brought that convo to a quick end!

C
Gecko
Gecko
C
I can go either way. I really value the female bond. My mother and Grandmother raised me and all my cousins but one when I was growing up were girls. I'm very female in my thinking, but not overly "girly" if that makes sense. But since my husband is my best friend, and we've been together since I was 16, I've gotten to understand the male mind really well. He tells me everything.

A few years back, before all his guy friends had kids or moved away, he'd take me along on guys' nights out. The guys were cool with it (they'd always invite me!) because I had no problem with guys just being guys.

"The world might be considerably poorer if the great writers had exchanged their books for children of flesh and blood." ~Virginia Woolfe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.