Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#370148 01/26/08 09:16 PM
T
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
T
This week's article is on semicolons. Semicolons are rumored to be going out of style because so few people use them. We need to declare them an endangered punctuation!

What is your favorite grammatical or spelling pet peeve? My personal one is confusing lose and loose.

Lose: I can't find my keys. I always lose them!
Loose: My ring is loose. If I'm not careful, I'll lose it.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have a few pet peeves when it comes to grammatical errors, too. I am with you on semi-colons also. We should call them the "endangered punctuation" like you said! smile Things I hate to see are: their-they're, your-you're, where-wear, and people that misuse words like: he don't, she don't, I axed.

I read that Cambridge, one of the pocket size dictionary people, said they may just start adding words that people use, showing them to be correct, too. No way!! They've got to be kidding!

Trish

N
Parakeet
Parakeet
N
One thing I dislike is when collective nouns are interpreted as plural nouns (instead of singular nouns).

I know that collective nouns can be counted as either singular or plural in most cases, but it still pains me to see/hear sentences like "My family are feuding" and "The group haven't arrived yet."

In my book, it's either "The committee has voted" or "The members of the committee have voted" -- never "The committee have voted." That just sounds so wrong to me...

Baby Name Blogger & Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
The its / it's thing always stands out to me - it seems like even newspaper reporters get it wrong sometimes.

It's is only a contraction for "it is" - nothing else smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
The NY Times just wrote about semicolons!

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
This is more of a change in popular vocabulary, but I don't like it when nouns are turned into verbs. For instance, "She Googled her new boyfriend's name" drives me up the wall. I USE Google. Google is a thing, not an action!

It especially drives me up the wall when a verb form of the noun already exists but people don't use it. This seems to be common on reality shows. On Clean House they always say something like, "I will gift you a new sofa if you throw away your magazine collection." Why would you say "gift" if the word "give" is already out there?

Dani Sanders, Prime Time TV Ed.
Prime Time TV Website
Prime Time TV Forum
Gecko
Gecko
My personal peeve is the use of apostrophes in place of a plural, such as "tree's" instead of "trees." And the constant use of "I" where it clearly should be "me." My boss is famous for this: "He'll meet with John and I after lunch." Even worse, when I is used as a possessive! "Michael and I's house..." UGH!

Side note on the collective noun issue, that strikes me as more common in British usage. Have you encountered it that way here, too?

A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
What always gets me is when people don't add the "ed" on the end of a word that should have it.

I can't stand to see "toss" salad (tossED salad).

I actually saw a brand name advertise its "ice" tea the other day instead of ICED tea. Drives me insane!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I think it may have happened when teachers here (UK) went overboard on the teaching of the apostrophe - kids 'overdelivered' to be on the safe side, sticking huge tadpole shapes on the end of every word and the habit stuck with them. (I know, because I'm a teacher and - My! - have I seen some artistic apostrophes. (LOL, note - no apostrophe there!)

Gecko
Gecko
A LOT. It's two words people! "Alot" isn't a real word, yet I see it everywhere. >_<

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.