logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Julie - I do realize that 24 hours is hardly enough time to figure out a dog, it was just a relief to see that he isn't as bad as we thought he was going to be. As in he isn't aggressive so much as he would rather avoid us - that whole if I don't see you, you don't exist idea.

Alex - We fully subscribe to the pack mentality. yes there is love and affection, but respect, discipline, and exercise factor in first.

------------------

We aren't expecting a full turn around immediately either. It is, and probably always will be, one day at a time. We just want to have him realize that just because one human was horrible to him that not all of us are. This involves non-domineering affection like chest rubs, playing with our other dogs while hes in the room so maybe he can learn by observation and things like that.

FYI he was definitely NOT a fan of the umbilical method.

Last edited by Botanical Bella; 10/18/07 03:51 AM.

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Click here to read the story of our foster dog, Colbert.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Good for you Wendy and very well done.
please know my post was not intended to infer criticism.
I am a Canine Communicator here in the UK, having studied with Jan Fennell, so I was merely trying to help.
I'd like to come over to the USA at one point and liaise with Cesar Millan. I have seen his work on TV and I think he does a really good job!

Thanks all!

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I suppose an update is warranted now that we have had Colbert for 2 months.

He walks on a leash beautifully, tail up even, But only as long as you have him walk along side you, he gets a bit freakish about long tethers and you possibly yanking on him or walking towards him.

He will come, somewhat reluctantly, especially if he is on a leash.

If you want to get close to him you really must get low and crawl to him, and even then he will look for an escape route. He has though, stopped spontaneously peeing on the carpet when you are trying to get to him (ie: vet visit, walk, yard time) YAY!!!

There is currently Wrestlemania XXVII going on in my living room amongst the 4 dogs.

He still likes to bury his nose under an available pillow or dog bed. Still playing ostrich in the sand. Or he may alternate by having said pillow/bed on top of him and just enough space for him to peer out at the world. A sort of security blanket if you will.

He has been altered, had his first birthday, and D is talking about possibly adopting him ourselves just for the fact that he doesn't want Colbert returned because of his neuroticism. I am hoping that we can get Colbert to move on from these and make him adoptable - 1. because everything thinks he is absolutely adorable & 2. The reason we started with a foster was to be able to help as many dogs as possible...we can't be failed foster parents and adopt everyone who needs it. Even though we would love to. (I'm such a softie)

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Shark
Shark
He is quite a handsome dog! I wish you wonderful results from your loving fostering of this poor pooch. Heaven only knows what he went through before you got him. Keep us posted on his progress, please.

Kathi
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
We took him for a visit to the dog park and then a show and tell at the shelter we are fostering him for.

The dog park was all prancing around, splashing in the lake and fetch. The shelter visit however, brought back memories for him as he reverted to his scared self of 4 months ago.

The shelter may have a home for him now, D and I agree that he really should be in a home with another dog as he gets separation anxiety and whines with great volume and tenacity. Donovan of course, also wants to keep him.

We also learned that none of Colbert's siblings, save the one that was adopted before him, have been fostered or adopted into a good home. We are thinking of possibly taking on another of them, with Colbert...making a total of 5 (HOUSE) dogs plus us. Oh how I love my vacuum. We shall see.

some pics from the dog park Wednesday.

Max, Buela, & Colbert
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by Botanical Bella; 02/01/08 12:58 AM.

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Update again....

Friday we adopted him for keeps. So we really do have four dogs and not just three and a foster. DH is such a softie.

Wendy Lee
Houseplants Editor
M
M
I adopted a 7 year old German Shephard/Husky mix last Easter 2007. When I first got her home she was extremely shy, barking at everything. It took four weeks of reassurance and petting to get her to be more secure. Now she only barks when someone is at my door. Food treats helped a lot as well, milkbones, beggin strips, etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.