Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#376094 02/15/08 10:43 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I'm thinking about getting started in Tai Chi...

My 16 yr old son that has Asperger's - we're looking at entering him in this class to give him an area of "control" and a kind of meditation.

I'm planning on taking the class with him 1. so I can keep an eye on him, and 2. so I can get in shape.

but I've got to admit I'm really worried about getting started again. It's been over 20 yrs and almost 100 lbs since I've been involved in any sort of martial arts.

Any tips?

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
I took Tai Chi for a number of years. I'm sure you will find it rewarding. Don't let the first few classes discourage you. Tai Chi is more about co-ordination and control than force. Like anything it takes practice. I found a lot of students became frustrated because their moves weren't perfect the first time out or they became directionally lost (for lack of a better term) during a movement. Each time you see the instructor perform the move you learn something new. Repetition is key. Have fun Michelle smile!

M o e #376320 02/17/08 01:28 AM
C
Shark
Shark
C
Great advise M.E.!

I think the last statement sums it up for me. Have fun Michelle! The other thing to make sure you don't get caught in the trap of doing is comparing yourself to anyone else in the class.

As your teacher should tell you, perform to what is comfortable with your body. Tai Chi is about understanding your body and each of us are individuals.

I also think it's a great thing you're doing for your son! If there's anything we can help here, please let us know. Take your time finding the right school, one that is willing to work with you and that you feel in comfort with the teacher. Make sure they understand the situation too, so they know how to treat your son. There's a few articles up on the site to help find schools:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
I say just jump right into it. Since you have had the background your body will get used to it faster than you realize. Just make sure you can make it a routine.

Last edited by martialartspeon; 02/23/08 03:37 AM.
martialartspeon #388507 03/06/08 09:15 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I'm dyyyyyyyyying!!!!

We just had our first class tonight. ow ow ow ow ow

We started off with "simple" stretches and movements - these things are not natural! I used to dance way back when, and my body keeps wanting to go in the opposite directio of wht the teacher says.

I hear my bathtub with lots of epsom salts calling..... tired

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
I know what you mean,I had a similar experiance, I did some stomach crunches, and I was like a baby! blush

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Tai Chi is a very good routine for the entire body. Just stick with it, Michelle - you'll be fine and will love the results.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Hehe just keep at it and dont get discouraged! Everything is really hard at the start but once you do it long enough you'll get better!

Bea Scott #390927 03/11/08 11:03 AM
C
Shark
Shark
C
You were doing Tai chi and your body hurt? Hm. You may be tensing too much. I use to dance too and the two actually should compliment one another in terms of movement. Don't stop, but definitely pay attention to your body, you may not be moving as "oppositely" as you think you are.

One of the unique things about Tai Chi is that it is very much a statement of what our bodies are and each person's mechanics are slightly different.

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
DH and I ordered a tai chi DVD and last night we tried it out. I had no experience with tai chi and DH had done some classes about 15 years ago.

So while I found my left/right dyslexia to be a problem, I just 'went with it' and followed along as best I could. I know it will fall into place as I keep it up. DH looked good doing it!

I didn't find it tiring at all - very relaxing movements. It felt good when I got a movement correctly done - i felt graceful. But for a large part I was lost ('what IS he doing???').

This was the Tai Chi Beginning Practice DVD with David-Dorian Ross. Nice setting in the aspens in Colorado.

Last edited by Jilly; 06/03/08 03:18 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.