Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
My personal favorite TNG episode was "The Measure of the Man" where DAta is put on trial to measure his "humanness".

I think that I really love the traditional Trekian Morality Play episodes - though I did love some of the later ones (A Fist Full of Datas was fun - as was the one where the crew becomes children).

First season TNG suffered due to a writers strike at that time, and the studio was forced to re=cycle a lot of original series plots.

I loved, though, how Worf grew as a character through the series - from being a rather one-dimensional "token" Klingon to a very subtle and complex character. His wife (and I can't remember the character name either - but the actress is Susie Plackart (think that's the spelling)was also very complex, and shoed a lot of shades of grey, which really does provide colour to a character.

As for Wesley - unfortunately in the early days, the episodes could too easily be characterised as "Wesley saves the universe", which really did irritate fans.

Yes - am a very long time Trek fan (I spent 6 years as the PResident of the Queensland Star Trek Club, and a total of 12 years on the committee of same).

Megan McConnell
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Megan M #380087 02/23/08 07:08 PM
-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
I think most new shows are a bit stiff in the beginning, too. It takes a while for the characters to relax in their roles.

I had never been bothered by Wesley but I did learn that he irritated some people, that he was too "good" and too "geeky." Personally, that never bothered me. I thought it was nice to have a younger person on the show for some variety. As I recall, didn't Wesley evolve into some higher life form later on in the show? I don't remember the details.

-Diana- #380101 02/23/08 07:25 PM
Shark
Shark
Yes, Diana, Wesley ended up tapping into his latent powers with the help of a character called The Traveler. His prodigy-like skills were evidence of some sort of power that let him play with the laws of physics or time and space, I think. According to Wil Wheaton, the Wesley character showed up briefly in one of the later Star Trek movies but I don't remember that.

Dani Sanders, Prime Time TV Ed.
Prime Time TV Website
Prime Time TV Forum
-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Thanks, Dani.

I vaguely remember that episode. What I remember most is that Wesley's mother (Dr. Crusher) was a bit upset about it though. I think it meant that she would not be seeing her son for a while!

-Diana- #380732 02/24/08 08:59 PM
-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Lisa -- Last night I saw that episode with two Rikers. I believe it was called A Second Chance. It really is an interesting dilemma, especially since the second Riker leaves the Enterprise and takes on another assignment in the end; he doesn't get "reabsorbed" into the current Riker or anything. So there are two Rikers in the universe.

What struck me about the episode was how cold most everyone seemed to be to the second Riker. He had been stranded all alone on an inoperative star ship for six years and he got very little sympathy. The current Riker kept picking on him and Deanna was pretty cold to him -- she almost seemed to assume he would show the same lack of commitment as the current Riker had. And in the end, all the current Riker gave him of their "joint" possessions was a trumpet! It looked like a discard, too. What about sharing the rest of his stuff? Poor guy.

Well, I guess it could be difficult to deal with more than one of yourself. I even dislike someone having the same name as I do!

-Diana- #380736 02/24/08 09:15 PM
Shark
Shark
Diana, the same thing struck me about the two Rikers episode. Everyone was very cold to the second Riker. I kept thinking that if I was Deanna, I would welcome this chance to have the relationship with the second Riker that I couldn't have with the first.

Dani Sanders, Prime Time TV Ed.
Prime Time TV Website
Prime Time TV Forum
-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Dani - it's great that you feel the same way. I guess the problem was that she had gotten over him already and had built a new life but she could have been a little more kind since the second Riker had nothing to do with the behavior of the first!

Last night, we saw the episode called Timescapes in which a few members of the crew were arriving home from a conference and they encountered temporal anomalies in which time was moving at a different pace in certain areas. They were all talking and all of a sudden, everyone but Deanna froze for several seconds. Wow -- I would be terrified if something like that happened! But I guess this crew is used to strange things like that! That episode was so excellent scientifically. I don't know how they come up with these ideas....

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I agree, Dani. The first season wasn't nearly as bad as people said. And that episode, perhaps someone could remind me of the name--it was close to the end of the first season, and it was about a conspiracy within Starfleet--it was probably called "Starfleet," wasn't it? Anyway, I know people felt it was changing the feel of the show too much, and they dropped the whole story, but I actually liked that episode. Can you imagine what "ST:NG" would have been like if they'd pursued that storyline? It seems like the show would have felt more in line with shows that came later--with the continuing story arc and intrigue and paranoia that was part and parcel of that episode.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I agree completely about how they treated the "other Riker" and ironically Deana does in fact end up with Riker, marrying him, so it proves they were meant to be. I wonder how the other Riker felt about that ...

As far as Wesley the one that always stuck in my mind was the one where the crew gets a hold of devices that make them sexually satisfied (Riker of course brought the first one on board) and only Wesley is not interested in the sex toy smile

The one where Riker falls in love with a holodeck woman was interesting smile You would think if the holodeck could create a super-intelligent villain for Data that it could make a reasonably intelligent woman normally ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
-Diana- Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Gee, I must really be behind on TNG because I don't remember these episodes at all, Lisa. But they sound great! Let me know if you can find out the names and the season for them.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Helen - SciFi TV 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.