Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi everyone. I've just posted on my quilting site an article on UFO's. This is a subject that just about every quilter confronts at least once in their quilting journey. My article is in two parts, the first deals with UFO's and how they actually become teaching tools, the second part (which will be posted next Sunday 26th January 2008) is about what you can positively do with your UFO's.

But I'd like you to post your opinion about UFO's. Do you feel a sense of guilt when you come across a UFO in your sewing room? How do you deal with UFO's in your life. Let us know what you think.

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
N
Hello Judie ~ I loved your article on UFO's! In answer to your question... "Do you feel a sense of guilt when you come across a UFO in your sewing room? Yes I do, for the most recent UFO. The others will have to wait, though and I don't feel guilty about them.

The one that I really need to complete is a memory quilt for my son, who is a K-9 police officer. His beloved working dog, Jag died suddenly with no prior symptoms in June 2006. Jag was found to have cancer in and around his heart. The PD had a formal service which was a real tear-jerker for everyone there, dignitaries, other police departments, clergy, and family/friends. I told my son shortly thereafter that I wanted to do a memory quilt in honor of our friend Jag. After purchasing the fabrics and putting photos of him on quiltable "fabric" on the computer, I came to a standstill each day I tried to create this quilt. The quilt is now a quilt top (about 50"x50") waiting for me to finish. It sits on a table in my sewing room and I see it daily. So, sometime soon, I hope to do just that...finish it!

I joined a Quilt-a-long on a blog recently and have enjoyed making quilt blocks each week, using my stash. Guess that is what I wanted as I'm quilting at least an hour each day and can't wait to get back to it! Learning to make these new blocks has really inspired me and I'm having fun now! No guilt, except for the Dog Quilt.

I love receiving the quilting newsletter from you! Thanks for this article!

Karen

P.S. I hope you're doing well health-wise. I'm a nearly 7 year breast cancer survivor.

Q
Q
UFO's. Oh my do I have UFO's. do I feel guilty about having around 75+ UFO's, Nope, no way. my solution to that whole problem was to develop a lecture entitled "So its a top, want to make something out of it?" Have given that lecture many many times and the $$ realized have produced fabric to make more UFO's.
Ok not really, but it did solve my problem of what to do about these projects.
Actually I learned a lot from each of the projects and I have come to the conclusion that all projects are not meant to be finished. I always look at these as when I am no longer here and my heirs have an auction, just think of all the people I will make happy when they buy a box of UFO's.
I've actually done that at auctions I have attended. I buy a box of fabric, or blocks or a quilt top and enjoy thinking about the person who started the projects. what a legacy.
Have enough of others UFO's that I do a second lecture that is called "Antique Tops" so you see I try not to ever feel guilty about things, its such a waste of time and energy. I figure as long as I am not hurting anyone, I can do what I like with my fabric and my UFO's

Q
Q
At one time I did feel guilt, but not now. A group of Quilters from our guild will have an orphan and UFO swap. We bring in our orphan blocks and UFOs and exchange them. What may not interest me may interest someone else. This process has worked out well and a lot of interesting and creative quilts have been finished. We also make charity quilts out of orphaned, orphan blocks and UFOs that are left over after the swap. This method works for us and we no longer feel any guilt. Maybe this would work for others.

Always in Stitches,
Marj
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Sometimes I forget a particular UFO in the closet and when I go through it's like finding a gift, and I get inspired all over again. When I finish a project and don't have another new one waiting I go through my stash, just for the fun of seeing what I still have that I can work on. So no, there's no guilt, my collection of UFO's are a resource and a treasure.

S
S
Hi all, I have to agree with Helen Wharton, I like to put away my UFO's and sometimes I am delighted to "find" them again. On the other hand, sometimes when find them, I know exactly why they were put away to begin with! Now those UFO's I have no problem giving to quilting buddies-out of sight, out of mind! I'm fortunate right now, I only have 3 UFO's that are calling to me to finish. But, I do have many quilt tops that are finished but waiting to be quilted!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
3 years ago I had to bring my mother to live with me, along with her and her furniture came a collection of UFOs. She is no longer able to do any of the things she used to love, but her UFOs are a gift to me. Mom loved quilts and quilting but, unfortunately, was not particular about her piecing. She had begun a rather intricate pattern and had it about 1/4 done when I found it. The only way to fix it was to take it completely apart and start over. The good news is she had cut about 2,000 pieces! So I have started a new one with her pieces. There is more than enough cut to complete a quilt with them. So that is my favorite UFO right now. It's on the "back burner" while I concentrate on doll making, but I love knowing it's there.

L
L
Just wanted to put in my two cents worth about UFO's. I agree-if you don't like working on a project, DON'T!!! Why waste your time. Save the fabric, give it away, just get rid of it.

Secondly, a class taken does not make a UFO. You've taken that class to see if you like the technique, etc. If you don't like it don't do it.

I also do lots of block swaps with my friends because I enjoy making the blocks, using up my stash, and being a part of the group. Sometimes I like the blocks and make them into a quilt but more often than not I sew them together and use them as the back of a quilt. Sure adds a lot of interest to the quilt!

We have a 'Country Store' at our guild once a year and we can bring stuff we want to sell that we don't want anymore. Some of you might think about that; or even trade projects among your friends.

And remember "Quilt" is only one letter away from "Guilt". And wouldn't we rather have a Quilt than feel Guilt?
Linda G

M
M
Linda thank you so much. Actually the only quilting UFO I have is a quilt I started in a class YEARS ago. It was my first quilt ever. It's in beautiful colors (although it goes with nothing I have now) and being my first quilt, the handwork and piecing is beautiful - I spent a lot of time making it perfect. It was this woman's own method of putting it together that was supposed to make it so easy and makes me hate it now. The top is 1/3 of the way pieced, sandwiched and handquilted. The rest of the pieces are finished but not attached to the rest of the quilt. I find myself looking ot the dumb thing every once in awhile but for the most part I ignore it. Thank you for the comment abut classes. It was valuable - it made me start quilting even if I wouldn't ever use her method again.

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.